1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Talk about that AI

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by piano.player, Jan 23, 2017.

1. schmron

schmron Racer

AI paths are just recorded. If they recorded bad, AI will handle bad ;)

2. If the track surfaces aren't set up correctly (which is the case for most of the track conversions) the AI will never work correctly.

3. Quffy

Quffy Alien

The AI thinks we're under yellow flag where you can't overtake. Since you're going so slow.

4. Fat-Alfie

Fat-Alfie Hardcore Simmer

My point exactly - if a mod track is made correctly, with enough care and attention, there is no reason the AI can't perform as well as on a Kunos track.

It's not that it's a mod track - it's that it is a bad track (sorry :oops:)

Gevatter and mms like this.
  5. Rosko

Rosko Hardcore Simmer

It baffles me that people are defending the AI in this game, did some of you take some sort of sworn allegiance that you would defend it at all costs?

piano.player, JusTiCe8 and gregack like this.
  6. Quffy

Quffy Alien

I'm not defending it, I know very well the AI wasn't designed to overtake cars from different classes. But do a same class race and the AI will overtake you in normal racing conditions.

Uff likes this.
  7. gregack

gregack Racer

Please try Interlagos, the AI is even too stupid to leave the pits. It's hilarious to watch actually.:D

Edit: Sorry, I just read your last comment. Yes, the AI is not THAT stupid on every mod-track, you're right.

JusTiCe8 likes this.
  8. Rosko

Rosko Hardcore Simmer

Well actually if you slow down driving the same class or car model it still seems to struggle to overtake. I just did a race at 60mph on Zandrvoort starting first all cars audi S1 to test this, yes they will over take eventually but they act like timid old ladies. The AI needs a great deal of work lets just be honest i don't understand the debate around it.

gregack and Linus27 like this.
  9. St3fan

St3fan Alien

Because it regards you as a hazard.

10. Quffy

Quffy Alien

That was what I was trying to point across. Slow moving vehicles, cars stopped on track, AI doesn't really know is safe to overtake. So their precaution measure is to follow the car ahead by matching his speed until he resumes normal racing, and in such conditions the class doesn't matter.

Dookie, gregack and Fat-Alfie like this.
  11. St3fan

St3fan Alien

Just in case I would be bashed for not racing with AI and just fanboy-ish defending AC, this is a typical case of AI overtaking me which happened just now, and overtake like this happens to me quite often. I do agree that sometimes that AI is way too timid, but I'll just wait for Stefano to figure a balance point between aggression and timidity.
    I've been using CM's track day mode to practice, and AI overtakes me with little hesitation all the time if I'm not fast enough.

Fat-Alfie likes this.
  12. dodge33cymru

dodge33cymru Simracer

The AI might not be the best out there, but the improvements made to it have been enough to bring me back into AC having disregarded it as a hotlap simulator previously.

Raceroom and rf2 probably have it beaten in this area, but it's certainly good enough for short races.

However, please can we change the title of this thread mods? As a thread, there is a lot of good discussion in it, but every time I see the disrespect in the title it winds me up. I can't be the only one. Just "AI discussion" or something else would be more accurate. Thanks.

Ischemica and Fat-Alfie like this.
  13. baboon

baboon Alien

Does that also fix the lapping of slower class cars? Because on 'real' they lose tons of time there on a longer race and tend to damage their cars a lot.

gregack likes this.
  14. earlyapex

earlyapex Hardcore Simmer

I did a whole career driving the slower class always being overtaken by the faster class by AI, worked no problem. Was great experience, managing my lap times, trying to not lose any time when getting blue flagged when the top class was coming through.

baboon likes this.
  15. gregack

gregack Racer

So your theory is: "The AI isn't bad"

In science, this is called "verification". You're looking for things which back your theory and ignore all cases which contradict your theory (why no seperate video about AI-stupidity?).
    Instead of that, try to actively look for things which contradict your theory ("the AI isn't that bad"), try to find flaws. If you can't find any contradictions and flaws -well then your theory must be indeed true.

At least I'm pretty disappointed with the AI on 100%.
    1) They don't overtake each other and when they do, they often do it with too much aggression.
    2.) They don't overtake slower cars in training or quali most of the time (tested on Salzburgring, "track day" with 24 different streetcars)
    3.) They don't overtake me, especially not if I slow down on purpose.

To be honest: I had more fun driving against the AI in GTR2 and PnG than in AC. Just my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    jc1993, dodge33cymru and Rosko like this.
  16. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

No his theory is that the AI can do it's job decently when used in a specific way, which is a counterstance to "it is bad in general". You won't find anybody who says the AI is perfect in every sense. Btw. science uses parameters as well.
    But after all this is totally irrelevant because this is just a internet discussion about "I'm right and you are wrong".

17. St3fan

St3fan Alien

The video is in response to a previously posted video titled "Wish they know how to overtake properly" so take my video as a verification of his theory. Nobody in this thread has posted any video showing a proper overtake from AI when I was reading it, but all videos are showing timid AI behavior. I bring something different. Simple as that.

18. gregack

gregack Racer

Yes, but after watching your video it seems like there is nothing wrong with the AI at all -which just isn't the case.
    You cut a "best of AI"-video and sell it as the normal behavior of the AI. Kunos won't solve the problem, if we just keep on ignoring this big flaw of the game...

Edit: You even called your video "typical overtake of the AI" ;-)

19. St3fan

St3fan Alien

It IS a typical overtake from AI for me because I have started to learn how to race with it. My video is to point out "testing AI's capability of overtake by deliberately driving extremely slowly or even stop on the road don't reveal the actual problem in AI", which is what many people are doing. I and many others who are not awfully mad about AC's AI in this post actually post in the physics issue report subforum often to report AI issues. I give them detailed car/track/scenario info to help them recreate the same problem and improve the AI. Simple rant and complaint of "they can't overtake" won't help them locate and solve the problem.

20. Rosko

Rosko Hardcore Simmer

I think when we are judging this there is one very important aspect. We are not measuring it against perfection but against the competition as that is potentially what is achievable. So it's not really relevant whether people are aware of its imperfections. All games of this genre that have Ai have issues and are not perfect, the argument is that it is somewhat less realistic than other sims. Of course we are lucky to have any Ai at all and that the devs are working to improve it, but that doesn't detract from the fact that it's poor in its current state. I still love AC i play it a lot & still have faith that as a one player driving experience it has great potential especially now with custom championships.