1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Talk about that AI

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by piano.player, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Strummer

Strummer Simracer

Sadly I cannot disagree with any of this. But CM should help.

Fat-Alfie likes this.
  2. Berry

Berry Alien

There's AI in AC? o_O
    Come on guys, stop worrying about Skynet and join us online!

JusTiCe8, jarqus and Strummer like this.
  3. Mr.Mugel

Mr.Mugel Alien

How do you get them to hit you? What percentage and cars are you using, original content only or mods?

On another note, why do I have a hard time blocking the AI to keep them from overtaking if possible at all (Tried to take screenshots with the three liveries of the 919 and they kept attacking any way they could), and they can hardly overtake another slow AI car? Shouldn´t that be even easier since the PC knows what the other cars can and will do in a way?

4. Diablo_rf

Diablo_rf Hardcore Simmer

Guys you should understand that AC is not about racing against AI, yes it's there because it should be in terms of marketing, but it's not a strong thing about this game.
    AC is about you and the car, and the relationship between both of you. A hot lap simulator where you can also race online against people.
    So I doubt we will have any major improvements in AI untill AC2, because AI needs a lot of work and time and also knowledge.

5. piano.player

piano.player Gamer

Oh sry dude... Hahaha, I misinterpreted. I thought you were saying I should train more.
    I was curious about how the AI could get better because I train... LOL

All good, sry, my fault! :)

6. Xenix

Xenix Simracer

Ahh, haha, no dont sorry its my fault too. You are right, One word with a double meaning.
    My English is not so good and i dont think about the word "training" :D

7. piano.player

piano.player Gamer

OK guys, why is it stupid? Here are the facts:

- AI at least on higher levels (95%+) has more grip, on acceleration and breaking. The first isn’t an issue, the latter yes. This way, you end up crashing with AI, even if you were breaking 100% and even before the AI breaks. That is very stupid. Because this way you can’t drive like you could and it renders your driving behaviour completely unrealistic.

- AI drives its line, no matter what. If you are in a superior position relative to the AI, it doesn’t care at all, it just kicks you off the road.

- AI often leaves the allowed track, yet, no penalties applied. Whereas for the human driver, even very harmless or even disadvantageous leavings from the track result in penalty. You guess it, that is very stupid again.

- AI is waiting behind you even if there would be plenty of place to overtake when you stand still on the track while racing. They just line up behind you and do not overtake. How f stupid is that???

- When you go out again after Pit stop and wait for the AI to pass, well… Guess what? Even then they don’t do it, they wait until you come out. And even worse, as soon as you do, they immediately start to accelerate and many times… you guessed it again, kick you off the road. After they waited stupidly for you to drive out of the pits exit… Well if that is not stupid, I don’t know at all

- AI obviously drives on rails!? Even at the slightest hit, my car always flys of the track with no chance to avoid it. The AI however, seems to be fixed on a rail as it doesn’t even move. For example, when they hit you in the rear, they turn you off the road while they just drive straight forward as if you would only be fresh air. You can check that in a replay, that’s hilarious.

- AI doesn’t have any strategical behaviour, at least it is not obvious. It just drives a line, no matter what. It doesn’t care about opponents nor about a standard overtake etc. It just moves like a robot. Well, in fact it is LOL

- AI’s gear switching is very stupid. Just watch a replay and you will end up laughing how many useless switches AI does. Well that is not that huge issue as it doesn’t hurt me. But it is still stupid.

- AI is able to move the stearing wheel like it would be only without any torque and mass. Look at a replay how fast AI turns the wheel. It is completely impossible for any human on earth to do that. And don’t tell me about strength and speed here please, this would be a huge joke when it comes to my person… ;-)

- There are some more things I ran over the last couple of races but this pretty sums the most things up.

Most of the time I drive vs AI 95+%

gregack, donShere, Tony74 and 2 others like this.
  8. Whitestar

Whitestar Hardcore Simmer

Could you possibly insult Stefano more with that thread title of yours?

Dookie, Typer, Seria17hri11er and 5 others like this.
  9. Diablo_rf

I think Stefano is smart enought to not get insulted by threads like this...
    Yes AI is stupid, he knows it, and everyone know it, but here comes new people and start complaining about AI like this game was an AAA title like Forza or GT.
    And how is the AI in the titles with 100+ milions dollars budget? Horrible! So yeah, expect from AC a better AI than in big titles.
    AI is a thing that will please somone and others will hate, because AI it's not perfect, and will never be.

10. Berry

Berry Alien

@piano.player You have the argumentative vocabulary of a 12yo with an attitude problem.We all know these issues, the developers know it, the buying public (hopefully) knows it.It's going to get better, it's much better than it was some time ago.I'd suggest refraining from colourful language when you want to solve a problem, for now the only thing that's decisively stupid in this thread is you.

11. Mr.Mugel

Mr.Mugel Alien

Need to try to take a video later, as I didn´t experience most of the issues the last time I drove against the AI. Some points are true, and are AFAIK being worked on, but those facts aren´t all facts for me.

I think AI is valid topic to talk about, as it´s not perfect obviously, but doing it in this manner in the "Chit Chat" section of the forum instead of doing it in the support part isn´t really nice. Think about all the guys out there having a giggle while taking apart game devs and games (Not just AC). They can now quote that the users of AC think that the programmers at KS are poorly talented, as it´s written black on white here.
    If you´d call Kunos and tell them they suck at what they do for a living (Which is kind of the thread title) it´d be one thing. Writing it publically on this part of the forum is another thing.

Agreed...

Threads like this one are partly the reason he stated why he takes a break of the forum as it took a big impact on his personal life, which in the case of all the negativity on parts of the forum isn´t a good thing.

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  12. Diablo_rf

It's sad that he got all that s**t so close to the heart, it only show's that he really care what people write and think about he's work, but he really should not get insulted by stupid poeple who can't think just a bit or investigate the question before complaining about it.

elsmore and Mr.Mugel like this.
  13. Pretty sure he actually did in post #47
    -----------------------
    I would love to see a vid of the AI ramming the OP off the track repeatedly. The reason they come to a stop while somebody is entering or exiting the pits is a result of having to program them to not hit players (that are usually running horrible lines and incorrect braking technique) from behind.
    They also quit responding like tanks when hit by the player several updates ago, in fact now they can fairly easily be pit maneuvered.

14. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

I guess Stefano in this case might just be glad that he already refrained from posting on the forums. :p

15. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Their speed never was the problem. AI car versus player car also is not a problem, imo, they do fine, their SA and collission avoidance looks really good to me.

>> Their lame, linear behaviour if left to themselves, AI vs AI - that is the big problem. <<

Running AI at the range between 87 - 92 myself, depending on car class I race in. With default setups they else become too fast for me, letting me hotlap solo again.

Their speed is not the problem, they are fast.

Dean Ogurek likes this.
  16. AlfaGunner

AlfaGunner Racer

I wish AI would attempt to overtake more, seems when they behind you, and I slow down they dont even try to overtake....I try waving them on, but nothing!

Maybe if they a bmw's drivers attitude it would help this!

17. AccAkut

AccAkut Alien

Last weekend I tried setting up a custom championship for the first time (mostly just to generate screenshots). Track was Mantorp Park (from facebook, seems legit scratch made) and a multitude of cars of different speeds and power levels. From M3 GT2 to Gallardo TT to AE86. I kept AI strength at ~93% I think.

And racing was surprisingly good. No train buildup, overtaking even in tight spots, many interesting fights (TT Lambo flew by everyone on the long straight, but understeered everywhere else. The M3 GT2 gave a good fight with the car I was driving. he had me in the corners). I was genuinely surprised. I ran short races of only 5 laps and the cars finished in sensible order. Maybe it was the low AI setting allowing for better behaviour, maybe the AI line was done exceptionally good. I don't know. But it was no comparism to the typical Nords train ;)

18. piano.player

piano.player Gamer

Well, to be honest, when I wrote it, I was extremely pissed. I tried to get at least one Nordschleife lap against 100% AI without the AI breaking me off the track or turning me from behind... (I was faster most of the time...)

So if that is the case, sry Stefano, this was not my intention, I love this sim! :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  19. You should educate yourself more. For starters starting with AI is poorly programmed without access to the source code devalues your feedback. The only thing you can say without access to the code is the AI behaves less advanced then the AI in title X or Y.

The only valid points you made are that AI has superhuman response times (many problems you stated are a result of that) and doesn't watch out for drivers choosing bad racinglines. Which were btw addressed by Stefano in one of his streams already.

20. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

I'd just like to comment on two points against the AI listed so far that aren't quite correct to my experience.
    - AI holding the line no matter what and not being able to be pushed out of the way - not always true.
    - AI not making any mistakes - not always true.
    Unless you play only with 100% AI, 100% grip conditions and high grip/high aero cars and never pay attention to the AI at the right places you definitely do notice here and there that the AI can lock up brakes and lose grip in certain situations, especially as the tyre wear sets in (which they're not too fussed about admittedly, they don't pit for tyres, just stoically try to deal with low grip). It'll also lose grip and potentially spin out when you bump into them with enough force. You'll also notice that the AI bumps other AI just as it does you and sustains damage - whenever it makes mistakes and reacts too late. And surprisingly as much as the AI tries to get back on track at all costs and potentially bump into anything driving properly they will also just as often wait until the track is free before rejoining. It's all fringe cases of an AI that has to adapt to everything. The more challenges the track offers, the worse the conditions you set are and the more variety a grid has the more mistakes you can see.

Apart from all the small issues with it I think what the AI (as with most racing games) is really missing are (even just scripted) race strategies, awareness and personality traits, but that's probably pretty unlikely to ever be implemented. Even if the overtaking thing were to be fixed in the future they'll always react similar according to the circumstances with minor variety mostly coming from AI lines and position of other cars around and that's just noticeable for the player. AI being able to make proper pit strategies, pitting earlier for tyres only and being able to deal with a field of slower cars would already make for a much better experience though.