1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

What is a good Intel processor for a vr build?

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by higsy, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Dufloth

Dufloth Racer

3700x or 9700k, whatever. Just pick the cheapest mobo/cpu combo.

personally I got the 9700k because OC’d its bang on performance with 9900k oc’d gamewise. And as I only do gaming , and with VR, I love the extra juice from intel gaming performance.

2. chakko

chakko Alien

I don't know. My point was that "you need as many cores as possible to stay ahead of consoles" isn't really valid here. Rather "You need as much single core performance as possible".

3. Tim Larsen

Tim Larsen Racer

Oh yeah! Where can I get one?

4. Stains

Stains Simracer

Intel have em.
    9900ks on dry ice ;) Debauer showed it recently.

5. Tim Larsen

Tim Larsen Racer

Think I'll stick with water on my 9600k ;)

6. stephen_b

stephen_b Racer

Thought I'd chime in as I've just upgraded from an old i7 4930K (6c/12t Ivybridge-E) to a 3900X. I run in VR and most graphics options are on high, TAA epic + 120% SS. I'm in the 45 FPS brigade which I find OK thanks to Oculus' ASW 2.0

Testing at Nurburgring, Midnight, Clear both solo and with 29 AI, the later being the most demanding combo I have found in game.

With my frame rate uncapped (Ctrl+Num 1 for Oculus users) I can say that my minimum FPS haven't increased but that I am entirely GPU bound when lapping solo. With 29AI I am predominantly GPU bound, there are a few drops in GPU utilisation but it doesn't always coincide with when the frame rate is at its absolute lowest. On the whole good news as it means a GPU upgrade should net me more performance. My 3900X is boosting to 4.3Ghz on its most taxed core, which I am assuming will be the main render thread.

The other testing I have done is at Spa with 49 AI. Here there is no competition as my 4930K couldn't cope with this number, 34-36 was the max I could get away with before the physics loop would be consistently late or the frame rate would turn into a slide show. The 3900X breezes through this with ease, physics occupancy shows around 52% :)

I was debating whether to go Intel or AMD for this upgrade. I knew that Intel would ultimately give a little more performance in VR, particularly in the short term, but took a long term view. That being: a) I would probably be keeping this CPU for at least as long as my last one (6 years) and with the next gen consoles being based on the Zen architecture performance on commonly used engines like UE4 should get better (not that this will necessarily apply to ACC). b) at this point in time there are less security holes in the Zen architecture and there appears to have been a strong focus on this when it was designed c) raw clock speed is getting harder to come by and more cores is probably the way forward. d) hopefully we see more adoption of technologies like singe pass stereo to reduce the burden on having one very fast core to run the rendering.

7. I will stick with my I9-9900K under the monster on the right side:
    [​IMG]

mounted:
    [​IMG]

its.me likes this.
  8. higsy

higsy Rookie

On my dads computer he has an i7-4760k which is the most likely limiting factor i.e bottleneck. So I was thinking an i5-9600k since it is better and not very expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Perell0ne

Perell0ne Racer

I’m on i7 4790k (4c/8t@4,4) and a RTX 2070 Super. In 4K with minimum tweaking from highest settings all run smoothly at 60fps and seems to use all 8t evenly. In VR (Lenovo Explorer) with Steam SS to match the 4K resolution in solo racing run smoothly at 60fps, while with AI (above 8 opponents) become unusable due to CPU bound! 4 threads out of 8 are reaching 100% usage while the other are not used and GPU barely reach 60% in this conditions (checked with fpsVR).
    Why screen and VR makes such a different use of cores/threads remain a mystery to me.
    But coming to topic: will a new processor with same turbo/OC range of mine do any better even with more cores? Because making an upgrade to find out that nothing changes... would not be good.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020