1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Which car is the best to learn how to drive car properly ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Methee, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

As already stated, if you're completely new to simracing start with a well balanced rwd streetcar.
    But if you're getting more and more experienced imho(and exactly the opposite what some are saying here) it's better to choose a more difficult powerful car and try to master that, because after mastering the more difficult powerful sob, you'll find the easier cars way better to control(from my own experience)

I started with Grand Prix Legends back in 2000, and the 312 an L49 were some very very difficult cars(and there were no other cars/sims at that time with easier cars except the Gran Turismo series, which isn't realy a sim after all) but after mastering the GPL cars after months of practising I found many normal/street and racecars in other sims (RBR , LFS and even Iceracing , but that's a different story lol) not very difficult to control (plus fast consistent laptimes)...

Each to their own. Good luck.

Cheers
    Robin

Ales Nocar likes this.
  2. Justin Cruze

Justin Cruze Racer

A formula ford type car would be best imo.....but out of AC's car-list, maybe the Tatuus.
    Road cars are great and all, but they're setup to be relatively forgiving. So when you're trying to learn in them, it's less obvious if you're doing something wrong.
    Also most of them have ABS which I imagine would just teach anyone learning to mash the brakes, instead of proper threshold braking.

Leemstradamus likes this.
  3. witoldinho

witoldinho Racer

Imho once you get hang of F40 you'll find other cars easier to understand. You need H shifter though, for me it's all different on G27 then what it was on DFGT

4. Hany

Hany Alien

Lotus 2-11 is a good and technical car. To drive it fast u have to control understeer and oversteer perfectly. second one will be the ruf.

5. I personally find both the E92 and E30 very nice for beginners like myself.

The E30, while not that powerful, has superb grip, and really nice turn in, so its not frustrating for a beginner, it kind of just does what you expect. The E92, is just lovely. I know i'll spend hours round the Nordschleife with it, because its just a treat to drive. Its very easy to get big helpings of oversteer, but its not too much of a handful either.

6. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

Whatever car you will choose remember to change tyres to those with lower grip, like from semislicks to street tyres on most street cars and change track grip from optimum to green or even slow.
    If you will control car in those conditions you will be good in online races where 95% of the servers are running with optimum grip and you have to pick semislicks to have a chance.

Leemstradamus and Robin_NL like this.
  7. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Racer

It's hard to give one answer to the question. It depends on what you want to do.

In real cars there's less choice in how to drive a car. In sim racing every car can use assists, autoclutch, paddle shifter and everything is free. Formula Ford is popular real life choice in large part because it is inexpensive and durable. In sim racing these are 2 non - considerations.

You can learn left foot braking, full on arcade driving just to be fast. You can use the techniques real drivers use and you'll be slower but driving like the real guys. Also in sim racing you can go the historic car route too and focus on learning to heel and toe shift. It all depends on what you want to do.

Wokzombie and victor86 like this.
  8. Leemstradamus

Leemstradamus Hardcore Simmer

I've been saying this for a while, hoping a modder would add the formula Ford and the skip Barber cars. They are amazing cars to learn in.

9. Leemstradamus

Confused, are you saying left foot breaking is arcade?

10. The server had ABS switched OFF for the X-Bow. I don't seem to have much of a problem with most other cars when ABS is turned off, but the X-Bow was being stubborn :)

11. Animal Ed

Animal Ed Simracer

Weak and slow car.

It will teach you to respect racing line, acceleration points, braking points ... because you don`t have all the power in the world in disposal under your right foot for damage limitation if you do the mess.
    Small mistake can cost you dearly.

Easier part is to get use to more power, grip ... later.

Guidofoc likes this.
  12. Berry

Berry Alien

You will always learn new things, no matter how much time you've put into the game or a specific car, just enjoy the game.A basic performance driving video with IRL techniques will help greatly, just apply them in-game and you're done :D.

13. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Racer

There's left foot braking like is actually done by real drivers and there's techniques used in sim racing that are not realistic which are used to be fast. Also a lot of players use left foot braking on cars with h-shifter and clutch to be fast or they just don't have the equipment.

All else being even, older cars with terrible dampers are great to learn on because they teach you to be smooth. But they don't teach you much about driving high downforce cars. but learning has a lot to do with learning the physical skill and working the controls so it depends on how you drive.

14. Leemstradamus

The only left foot breaking I've heard about was from watching videos of real drivers doing it. Didn't know there is another one just for sim racing. Maybe that's why I'm so slow lol!

15. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

Hm. In real life driving fast on a track requires that 1) you learn the braking points 2) you learn the driving line 3) you learn the limits of the car 4) you adjust the setup to adapt the car to the track.

Not sure why you cannot learn those with whatever car. In real life you start with a slower car because you don't want to die and because it's cheaper. Skip Barber is no exception. In a videogame you don't care about "dying" and all cars cost the same so.. if you prefer a steep learning curve, with lots of frustration in the beginning (and it sounds like Skip Barber wants you to do so), jump into a difficult car (Senna's F1 Lotus?), otherwise start from an easier one.

If what you mean is that you want a car that is both friendly and "complete' in terms of setup options so you can learn all, well, a single-seater like the Tatuus has all you need. Wings, advanced suspensions etc.
    Too slow for you? You decide.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  16. Leemstradamus

^well said!

17. Animal Ed

Animal Ed Simracer

I am using left foot sometimes with H shifter ... but not really for braking.
    Mostly for adjusting weight transfer and for short braking where shifting down is not necessary - not sim technique exclusively, it is an old rally technique irl.

Leemstradamus, 2hats and Octane like this.
  18. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

I think my answer above was not answering the question, so... some more spamming of AC forums:

At Skip Barber, because they're not a videogame, they just had to compromise so it's a single-seater with a personality and not expensive. In AC you are rich and immortal! :D and honestly it is better to learn by practicing on more than one car.

If I had to pick a "catch-all" one, well I like the F312T, a sort of go-kart on steroids. Yes, I'm rich.:cool:

Leemstradamus and Guy Moulton like this.
  19. Start with tamer street cars, then jump to either the Tatuus or the GT3 cars.

20. Animal Ed

Animal Ed Simracer

Than it is Exige V6 cup or 2-11 (not gr4) ... plenty of lift off oversteer.