1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Which car is the best to learn how to drive car properly ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Methee, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Racer

Any Porsche GT car is good to learn on too.

2. Wokzombie

Wokzombie Rookie

I can't remember the source, but I've seen a comparison between the Skip Barber cars and the Lotus 49.

3. martcerv

martcerv Alien

A basic street car is good, if your going to use a shifter then an elise is not a bad place to start.

I also think getting off the aids sooner the betrer as they will only hurt your learning and create bad habits.

Once your comfortable in that car id suggest try quite a few others. You should be able to drive any car around the track without issues although at a slower pace. Youbjust need a bit of self control and the faster the car the less you need to push for speed and more care you need in braking and throttle application.

The key thing to learn is to consistantly get ino every apex. First few laps run a little slower and make sure you hit each apex. If you cant get in there it means you entered the corner too fast and so are losing lots of laptime.

You get most of the speed and consistancy from hutting apexes. Its only the last gew tenths that are gained with critical braking. But each corner you nail may gain .05 and each one you mess up the entry you will loose more then a second by the end of the next straight.

4. Tundra

Tundra Hardcore Simmer

Obviously the slowest car. When you are learning and focusing on plenty of other things, you just don't want the scenery to move fast.
    Abarth 500 -> Nissan Primera BTCC -> BMW M3 E30 -> BMW 1M -> M3 E92 -> Lotus Evora -> F458 Italia -> McLaren GT3 -> F Abarth -> BMW M3 GT2 -> Zonda R -> Lotus Exos
    I see some guys would choose Concorde to learn how to fly, that's a nonsense.

From an absolute n00b point of view, firstly you have to learn the track, the proper line. Then the braking points. Then the optimum gear for each part of the track. Then finding out where the limits are. Then tweaking setup. Then again, pushing to the limits.

5. Quffy

Quffy Alien

The corvette c6r mod (link here). One of the nicest GT racing cars to drive, and to drive well and fast. Can't wait for c7r included in the dream pack dlc. Is one of my favorites from the GT2 and GT3 specs.

6. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I dont think gt cars are the best to learn on, they are a bit too basic to drive and if running abs and tc they wont teach you much other then line and brake points.

Even if learning on them leave on fuel, tyre wear and run tyres that will last not the softest rubber. Getting a feel for the car as it slides a bit more is much better and doing longer runs rather then trying to get a pb lap in 3 lap qualy sprints. If you turn off tyre wear you will also have much less grip and turn off wear and run softs will be much slower then running medium tyres.

7. Wokzombie

Wokzombie Rookie

It seems there are two schools of thought here.
    1. You take a car that easy to drive and lean the track.
    2. You take a car that's going through puberty and tame the sh*t out of it.

8. Epocx

Epocx Alien

alfa romeo giulietta launch edition (paddle shift)
    track is not important. mugello or magione are fine.
    but definately try different onces and find one you like

9. racerfx

racerfx Rookie

What about lotus 98t with 20/30% turbo? It's like going through the corners in slow motion. :)

10. TomTrick

TomTrick Gamer

I would say the 2-11, takes careful throttle and input control to drive and pretty much behaves like the Skippy and the Spec Racer Fords with regards to weight shifts and throttle lift overstear. If you want to cheat a bit with shifting you can left foot brake and blip for downshifts (probably wouldnt recommend that in the real car). I think its a good learner car which will teach you to drive properly, and will punish you if you don't :)

11. Mogster

Mogster Alien

The only comparison I can see is that they have 4 wheels and an engine in the back, lol :) I'm not sure I can think of a much worse car to learn in, and I am a fan of historic F1 btw.

For tin tops with paddles I'd go for the Lotus Extige or BMW M3 E92. For Manual shifting the Fiat 500 is good for learning heel and toe imo, then there's also the BMW 1M. For modern single seaters, the Tattus FA1 is the obvious choice.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  12. Skybird

Skybird Alien

To learn, you need a challenge that nevertheless is well-behaved and fully predictable. A slow car that drives like on rails, simply will not teach you much. You must get a little closer to those limits.

Therefore, not the maybe natural first choice of Abarth 500, but something like the Lotus Exige. BMW Z4s3 also works good.

As second step, if you have self-discipline and do not push a pedal just because it is there: the F40. Of all the cars without any assists, it is the most stable one. But stay slow in the beginning, and brake early, always. There is a beats in that box, and it wants to get out. Keeping it in check will teach you your second lessons.

As an advanced, once you feel comfortable with going faster: the Ferrari 458 stage 3. Boy, that is the car that truly lies at the heart and center of this sim! It swings and sways, but predictably. Its fast. It does no weired stuff. Its fair. It's sweet-tempered. Its easy to handle. Its smooth. Its a dream.Sstart with ABS on, TC set to 1 (max) and stability (menu) off. Then step by step reduce TC to 2, then to 3. 3 is a very good setting for this car, doing just the minimum assist needed, but not giving you the feeling to hinder you. 4 is last.

To think that cars designed to be driven with assists (in their street versions), must be driven without them, is fundamentalism. Save that for later, if it pleases you. There is a reason why these systems are build into the real things, and are not left out. The huge majority of drivers benefits from them. If you want to argue that, go watch just any MP session on public server. You see overestimation of people's skills all over the place. Me, I am a confessing assist user, but I prefer to tone them down, having them in their lower third of intensity.

The cars in this ^ order.

For learning a new track, take a slow, stable and predictable car.

13. Skybird

Skybird Alien

P.S. Somebody wondered about the RUF being mentioned. Well. Switch the turbo in the RUF to 10% or20% - and be amazed what a stable and well-behaved car it all of a sudden is! You then see why it was considered as so technically sophisticated in its time. Its demon exclusively resides in the turbo, not in the rest of the car. the chassis is absolutely good-natured. It is the higher turbo settings that push it out of that boundary, and into the realms of madness.

14. fkkamil

fkkamil Hardcore Simmer

Abarth 500 for sure. This underpowered car learns how to keep momentum trough corners, also learn how to trail brake to, again, keep as much speed as you can.

Mogster and victor86 like this.
  15. Tundra

Tundra Hardcore Simmer

And to test that famous saying: the who that keeps the wheels straight longer, will become the winner.

16. Den

Den Gamer

The E30 M3 is one of my favourites (As it is in real life.) but having just done a fresh re-install and testing I am using the basic Fiat 500 on street tyres at Goodwood.

Lawndart likes this.
  17. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

In real racing you are always doing one of 2 things; accelerator or braking. You are never coasting. One of the harder lessons for new drivers to get used to is lift oversteer... That fist time your rounding a turn and come up to a much slower car in your line with no where to go... Lift, instantly your going backwards in the infield.

AC models this very well, and learning about slip angles is the trick to controlling it, later you'll learn to use it.

I'd recommend to E30 st1. And use a stick, learning to rev match is just as critical as breaking points.

Radiantm3 and victor86 like this.
  18. fkkamil

fkkamil Hardcore Simmer

If you think so you'll never be fast man:)

19. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

You might be reading "Accelerator" as accelerating?... Perhaps a more accurate word would have been throttle. You're always on the throttle unless breaking... You can also throttle and break at the same time to manipulate rotation but not a topic for a thread about novice driving. how it works that a novice should learn;

Once your done with breaking and at turn in, apply neutral throttle to plant the rear end, rounding the apex roll on the throttle... This is the key to fast... your already on the throttle, slowly apply more as the car tracks out to the turn exit, as your steering wheel unwinds, you'll be at full throttle at exit, if not just before. Little cars like Miata's have a secondary benefit of more easily controlling the rotation and adjusting angle of attack with throttle after inducing rotation at turn in (aka rear wheel steering).

The hardest part for sim racing is throttle discipline... It takes time to get used to the range of throttle and untrain your brain from thinking the throttle is a button that's either all on or all off... All this is covered in understanding how slip angles and traction circles work... That's mandatory learning for the newer sim racer... Aliens on the other hand... Just have some preprogramming in their heads that just sorta fill in the gaps...

er540 likes this.
  20. Wokzombie

Wokzombie Rookie

As a reasonably new simmer I'm looking for that car to bite my teeth in and drive for the next 40 hours.
    I tried the Lotus Elise SC and the Lotus Exige V6 CUP without TC & ABS and it seems they handle very similar.
    I assume there must be a difference, but is it big enough to make a difference from a learning point of view?