1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Wr with gamepad? how fast should gamepad vs wheel be in ac?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by PAKFA, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

@PAKFA, what they simulate more seriously? :D

2. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Also most top lap times you see posted by gamepad users are done at 26ºC and Optimum surface. The chances of losing car control due to track/weather conditions are highly reduced. Maybe that's where the ffb wheel shines, in real life track/weather conditions?

unknwn likes this.
  3. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

When I used mouse in LFS I had no problems drifting, recover when I lost control etc. actually I needed a lot more time to adapt when I bought g27

unknwn likes this.
  4. unknwn

unknwn Alien

I am pretty sure that the more dynamic conditions, the more advantage the user of good wheel has. Can't wait for 15nM consumer wheels:rolleyes:
    Then the next question will arise. Should we artificially slow down DD wheel users who set unrealistically high FFB values for road cars.:D

5. Max Veloce

Max Veloce Racer

Some people have been gaming with pads since they could walk and have developed incredible skill levels which allow them to be that precise and do proper alien times. I'm sure there are also a few who just picked a pad up and it all fell into place in minutes.

Because they are that good and can beat 99.9% of players using more realistic controls we must deliberately cripple the game and ruin the experience for them, all in the name of ?

enjoy your religion...

6. ouvert

ouvert Alien

well in reality unless you are driving under 10 km/h you don`t really need to put that much force to steer the car .. even in car without powersteering it is almost "one finger job" .. you`ll need more power with smaller steering wheel and low steering ratios (skip barber f.e. .. but not for read, GT cars, etc )

7. PAKFA

PAKFA Alien

If you're referring to what I said about iRacing, i didn't say they simulate more seriously I said they take the simulation part more seriously (which is different), more specific the rules and principles of simulation. As in pads and other input devices should not be equal in performance with wheels.

It's like making a strategy game work as good as with a mouse and keyboard, but with a wheel... Sure it's a silly analogy, but you get my point. M&K are best for strategy games, so any other input device will not make you better, not have advantages, but on the contrary have disadvantages. The same should be in AC, but with wheels vs other input devices - especially pad. No matter how good the pad user is.

Funny. :p

----------
    ----------
    @ everyone:
    Ok let me ask you this from a different POV: do you think that if there would be such a difference as lets say a good wheel player would be better than an alien pad player on a long track like Nords about 5 seconds faster, which would make the alien pad user about 10-15 seconds slower than an alien wheel user, do you think AC would loose more players because of that?

How about if the game would have a disclaimer when you buy/start it for the 1st time notifying you that the recommended playing input device is wheel and pedals and any other input devices will not guarantee maximum performance, because AC is in the business of simulating total realism up to the smallest detail.

I don't think AC will lose more casual players upset that they can't beat wheel users with their pads, more than AC will gain wheel users for exactly the same point, that it will treat the simulation part more seriously.

8. Radfahrer

Radfahrer Hardcore Simmer

There are enough people out there that are ubelievably good with Joypads (eh Shaddix^^), stop being jealous little brats and drive .

Shaddix likes this.
  9. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

AC don't simulate maximum realism with the pad?

10. Quffy

Quffy Alien

AC is a less hardcore approach to simulation games. Devs made it clear, otherwise we'd have a copy paste of netkar pro, or they would just keep developing that game instead of AC. Just because AC gives enough good tools for gamepad controls to have a good driving experience, doesn't make the game less simulation, nor a bad car driving simulation. Also, gamepad users don't influence/don't matter what you, a wheel user, do with this game. And, usually they just practice hard to post a very good lap time on a certain combo. So if they go in a race against other top wheel users (or just regular wheel users), is likely that wheel users will be better positioned and with less mistakes than gamepad users. Unless those wheel users are just beginners/not good enough at racing competitively the cars.

11. poet

poet Hardcore Simmer

Hang on, is he really making all this noise over 1 record?

Has he found 1 piece of suspect data by which to bash AC with, isn't that what this thread is really about?

If EVERY WR was held by a gamepad user, then fair dinkums, a quick look at some of the most popular records shows that is not the case though.
    So the argument is completely invalid, just another muppet using 1 example to bash on AC.
    Whoopty-do, must be another day of the week with the letter "y" in it.
    :rolleyes:

BwieDieter and Tucker73 like this.
  12. Some of the fastest drivers that I raced against in GT Legends used a keyboard.

esox71 likes this.
  13. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Alien

Hamilton ain't no Tessman when it comes to R/C, thats for damn sure. lol

If you want to try a RC Stick/Pistol remote on AC, look into a VRC adapter, it worked back in the SRW days and I dont see why it wouldn't here.

Mogster likes this.
  14. Koen

Koen Racer

"Mouse with FFB" is basically a FFB wheel set to 180 degrees or less (90 deg in each side) and yes it gives an advantage but kills the fun.

15. f1webberfan

f1webberfan Simracer

So you think that not skill level but input will make or break?
    I'm sorry but that's not true at all. :rolleyes:
    The mere fact that you see that times are similar speak heaps. :) I see your point that IRL cars are driven by wheels and pedals but airplanes are flown by sticks and pedals, right? ;) And an army aircrafts are much more complex machines than cars. :)

16. PAKFA

PAKFA Alien

Maybe you're right and this is true, in Hotlap they do better than in an actual race, still I think it's too easy for them to achieve such good performance with a pad or M&K.

I'm in no way alien fast with the wheel, so I accept all those dozens of people that are faster than me with a wheel, but I'm not really a slopoke either. Every day I'm in MP I'm usually in the top 3 in the same car class category doing Nords on practice or qually runs.

So take a look at this anomaly on RSR leaderboard for the BMW m235i on Nords:

I'm #113 now and I would have no issue whatsoever if all the other guys that are faster than me would be wheel users:
    1.jpg
    But on place #86 there's this guy which is using a Keyboard, about 3 seconds faster than me:
    3.jpg
    And then on place #29 is this one who is using a pad and only 10 seconds slower than the WR:
    4.jpg
    Here is the RSR link, you can see there are more pad users that are faster > http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRLiveTiming/index.php?page=rank&car=1208&track=1006&p=1

This should not be possible, not the fact that these guys are so good with pad and M&K (I don't question their skill), but the fact that the game allows them to be that fast with an input method that has nothing to do with driving a car. You can make all the fun you want about us driving toy wheels and toy pedals, but the truth is they represent what car have in reality, not gampads, joysticks or M&K.

I'll give everyone with a wheel a challenge: go and Hotlap in the M235i on Nords and let's see how many of you can beat the guy with the M&K and then how many of you can beat the guy with the pad. Let's see if you think it's ok for you that you play the game with a wheel, how it's supposed to be played to simulate driving a car, let's see if you are ok to be beaten by a game mechanic that allows pad and other inputs to be faster.

I'm sorry, but if this is how it's gonna be, then AC is no more different than GT6 which is a sim-cade made for pad. What good does the better physics engine do, if the input implementation is done to negate all that and there is a level playing field between wheels and other devices.

Again, I'll repeat this just so it's clear: I don't mind the fact that there are dozens of wheel users faster than me, because they use what's intended to be used in a simulation of driving cars, I do however think is absurd for all the other input devices to be as good as wheels.

17. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Sorry to burst you bubble Pak but apparently there are people with pads setting quick times in the iRacing leagues as well.

I don't have iRacing access so I can't confirm this but I'd be more surprised if it wasn't true. Its 2015 excluding pad users would be commercial suicide.

18. PAKFA

PAKFA Alien

I don't want them excluded, just to agree upon the convention that they should be slower because they are not using the recommended input device. That's all I want.

19. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

We need to ban them, this is the only solution:D

letek likes this.
  20. PAKFA

PAKFA Alien

Why don't you take my challenge? I know you're faster than me, I wanna see if you can beat the pad user.