1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Wr with gamepad? how fast should gamepad vs wheel be in ac?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by PAKFA, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Quffy

Quffy Alien

The game doesn't specifically allow pad or kb to be faster than the wheel. Is just another driving method. Yes the wheel represents better the car simulation. You should think about something first, devs said they made Assists in a way that you won't be faster than with factory car assists, or no assists at all. So if you want to use assists such as stability, auto gears, etc. is not something for you to become a pro driver on a race track. Is about improving the driving experience for who either doesn't have the most suited controller for driving a car, or really needs those assists because they just want to play casually/are beginners. Even though when I was beginner I always used the pro assists, just a personal option, to have the cars in the 'purest' form.

And what's the standard that in your opinion should be set for pad times vs wheel times, where the first is not faster than the former?

2. esox71

esox71 Alien

Your fingers get signals from the brain quicker...lol
    Inputs on a pad are way quicker, used to race this bloke called senna or something on gtr2, he used pad and was awesome.

3. Mogster

Mogster Alien

It's hard to identify pad users on RSR as you can on,y filter for XB360 pads but not all pads...

I can't see many pad users setting fast times at a glance.

Edit...

RSR Spa, 458 GT2. There's someone in 22nd place out of 1000 using the keyboard...

No assists :D

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  4. Rodrigo Pires

Rodrigo Pires Simracer

What comes to mind are Zanardi and Kubica. Both have different inputs (Kubica still cannot use his right arm...) but are as fast as anyone. If the inputs are right there is no reason to be slower.

5. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

I can try, but this will not prove anything, I don't mind that some pad user is faster then me, but you @PAKFA do mind...

6. MrGiggly

MrGiggly Racer

I couldn't give two hoots what controller someone else uses to set a faster time than me.

Fair play to them.

The Moose and Mogster like this.
  7. Quffy

Quffy Alien

I agree, to me this says all is needed for this subject. If you give the right inputs to a certain car, it will behave according to that. So no matter what controller you are using, if you give the inputs the car needs, it will behave the same way with all controller types.

8. Rodrigo Pires

Rodrigo Pires Simracer

I think it talks more of how an F1 car can be driven with pad inputs than AC itself.

Remember Niki lauda and the "monkey" story?

9. Mogster

Mogster Alien

The only issue I can see is the rapid steering inputs you can use with short throw sticks.

In a modern single seater it's not too much of an issue, in real life you can go lock to lock in a flash but in a road car it's not realistic. How quickly can you go lock to lock using a pad driving ACs road cars?

10. RReed43

RReed43 Hardcore Simmer

The fact is that a wheel was not the only way to steer early cars, tillers of various descriptions were also used. Wheels were universally adapted because they were the best way to apply significant torque across a wide range of motion in a confined space.

This was in a mechanical only age without availability of servo motors.

Airplanes were original controlled with a stick and pedals, once again a mechanical way to achieve leverage on control surfaces. The most advanced airplanes are now controlled with joysticks (basically specially adapted game controllers) driving servo motors (fly by wire).

If one were to invent an automobile at this point in time it is not clear that one would utilize a wheel and steering arms to produce the effect. Clearly mechanical and hydraulic linkage for acceleration and braking are inferior to electronic controls and are already being used in some automobiles.

I am not surprised at all that people can be equally fast if not faster with a controller than a wheel. I think if people designed specially built controllers for automobiles we might all agree that it was a superior way of driving a car.

The issue for wheels, FFB, fancy breaking system, wrap around monitors, tactile systems is not about how fast you can get around a track but how much it makes the experience seem like it's real.

T2k5, xyr and Rodrigo Pires like this.
  11. Some people really are exceptionally good at driving sim racecars with gamepads and/or keyboard. I would be absolutely rubbish with them, although I used a joystick with GT Legends when I bought it back in late 2005!

12. Deatroy

Deatroy Alien

If you look back on older games it was more extreme!
    I just name GTR2/rFactor - the best simulations at that time.
    You know what: There were many many gamepad driver who were driving WR's even in rain.
    in GTR2 you can setup your car even better, braking was easier as you could set brake pressure to 90% if the tyre locked to fast :)

Shaddix and me are missing on RSR since the huge relaunch, but we were holding a few WR back then. At the End you dont feel a difference in the race when you fight with me or other alien gamepad driver!
    Was fighting yesterday with Scott Miller, so many fights - no crashes. Thats what its all about.
    You will hate crasher more i think ;)
    Just because of hard and long training with pad + GTR2 even in rain.

At the End its a game and u cant compare it for 100% with real life.

13. Tucker73

Tucker73 Hardcore Simmer

jeeez when do you guys find time to race....

Kyo and pmc like this.
  14. f1webberfan

f1webberfan Simracer

OK, I see your point. But in A.C. I'm a prime example of your point of view - I already said that I'm faster with wheel than with pad. And I played gt5/6 a lot with pad so I'm familiar with pad use at least. So your theory works for me.
    But why you have such problems accepting the truth that many people can be faster with a pad. Ans imo 10 seconds SLOWER on the Nord simply means you are slow. Everybody in simracing knows that you shave seconds way easier then miliseconds. Even on a such long track. So I think it's an exaggeration that A.C. is another simcade.
    Probably the better question will be - if I am fast in A.C. will I be as fast in the real car.

15. unknwn

unknwn Alien

I think we already have these "controllers" for race driving i.e. low steering lock angular shape wheels such as in F1 or similar. Something with very low throw as in gamepads wouldn't work in real life. While higher steering lock wheels still make sense for road cars.

16. I suck balls (figuratively) in those cars though, I told you. Like, really bad, lol... No idea what to do with the setup either so I just clicked stuff. I wouldn't be surprised to see a proper "F1" simracer go like 5-6 seconds faster.

:( :( :(

:D

17. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Keyboard and mouse both have built in 'assists' that fill in the gaps for you - it's not like if you press nothing the wheels point 0 degrees, if you press left the wheels point left 23 degrees, if you let go they snap back to 0. It switches between the two smoothly (and if you tap the key you can maintain an angle somewhere between). Also if you hold 'left' at something other than 0km/h, it won't steer all the way to the lock, it'll just go a bit past the ideal slip angle if you have speed sensitivity set well.

It's still much less precise than using an analog input but it's not that much handicapped as actual 'no assists' would be.

18. Please don't talk to me about racing. I have been having a miserable time on the ALOOG GT2 server today. I can't believe how much bad luck I have had over the course of ten races. I am still there because I don't want to leave until I have completed a race without being rammed off, or run into a stationary car in the middle of the track!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    Tucker73 likes this.
  19. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

In ac we got a really nice support for those controls, that's why many are fast. You start game first time and try max. 10 setting changes, than you are ready to drive smoothly enough plus fast after some time.

We got also some handicaps: slowest gear change, more tire usage because of overdriving, for me a wheel is easier to hold/use 1h+ and so on.

Iracing and rfactor2 offered never this , when I tried it. So no chance there.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk

20. PAKFA

PAKFA Alien

Let's be clear about one thing guys: all input methods in AC are only as fast as Kunos wants them to be.

Only because the devs want that other devices to be as fast as wheels they are, because more casual non wheels users will be happy. All it takes is for Kunos to change the policy and support (for the sake of the expression) "hyper-realism" and boom, the next patch wheels will be the master race and that would make sense, since it's a simulation of cars and not a button mashing arcade fighter like Tekken where gamepad is king, or a flight simulator where a joystick is king, or a First Person Shooter where M&K is king. See what I did there? In a car simulator wheels should be king... end of story.

Kunos wants to go hyper-user friendly and make a level playing field, ok, but I don't agree with it and certainly won't give it plus points for increasing the realism and simulation for doing that.

So the question is how slower should other input devices be compared to wheels? Well that is a actually the thing to answer. I don't want to make them so slow that will make playing this game horrible and unattractive at all, but like I said, it should come with a warning that if you don't use the recommended gear, you should expect to be slower - it should be a tacit agreement for all.

If I were to make a speed classification it would be like this:

Wheel user > pad user (and M&K):
    1. Very Slow > Slow
    2. Slow > Mediocre
    3. Mediocre > Good
    4. Good > Very Good
    5. Very Good > Alien
    6. Alien > everything else

That should be the difference so no matter how good the pad user is (alien), he should not be better than a Very Good wheel user.

This would be a correct way to show support for hyper-realistic simulation and support for the principles of simulation, as well as not antagonize all the other input devices users. I really do believe, that it would not affect AC negatively at all, but on the contrary it would be better (both in quality and sales). Those few people that would be so bother about this and refuse to buy AC, would be compensated by those new people that would appreciate the level of commitment towards the best simulation.