1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

The 'mask' of a brilliant setup - How fast are you really?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Fluid40, May 6, 2019.

1. trasgu

trasgu Simracer

Yeah, we have come a long way with steering wheels and pedals. Nowadays even the cheapest logitech G series blows out of the water any consumer level steering wheel of the 90's and early 2000's in construction quality, reliability, life cicle and resolution.

Look, you can turn a regular horse in to a race horse, but only a horse that has born with certain characteristics can be a winner. Provided that they practice enough and someone teaches them proper driving technique everybody can lap at 2 seconds of a world record, but only few gifted ones can lap at 0.3s of a world record.

I believe that the most important part is the obssesive attention to detail reaching extreme levels, and an inhuman amount of pedal modulation control, the secret is in manage weight transfers in the transitions from braking to cornering and cornering to trottle, not in amount of hours of practice. Gregger Huttu said in an interview that mostly he didn't practice more than 1 hour a day, because after that point the concentration level lowers, making any further practice unproductive. The guy is the humblest guy ever, so I have no reason to doubt him about that.

Back when I was in my teens I was obsessed with racing and hotlapping, I would drive between 4 to 6 straight hours every day, on weekends sometimes even 10. In the days of GPL you had in the gplrank (a website with ranks and replays) and all the replays of all the world records available, with gplra (a telemetry tool back then) you could extract the telemetry of replays and compare your laps with the world records. I wasted years of my life trying to do the same as them, I could understand why they where faster, and even huttu made available his setups for all the tracks (and I really liked them, the famous GH and GH2 ones), but I simply couldn't replicate what they did no matter how much I tried, It was a very humbling experience. I have never been any closer to a track record than 0.5s. When the driving technique reach a plateau and you know all the kirks of the physics engine of the sim more than 2 hours a day is just a waste of time. Sometimes in life one have to accept that there is other people that simply are better than you at something, and they deserve credit.

Cucumber_86 and PiretSS2000 like this.
  2. anthony galmiche

anthony galmiche Simracer

Otherwise, there is this site:

https: //accsetups.racing/

Create by Mr crash that shares some good setup basics.

The number of setup is minimal, it requires only has expanded.

Try !! and thanks to Mr CRASH .

Red Or Dead likes this.
  3. esox71

esox71 Alien

I was struggling o Nurburg doing 57's roughly with all cars then changed something in the setup for the lambo, now i'm doing 54's

4. lordpatou

lordpatou Simracer

Please can you tell us a bit more about your changes.

LeDude83 likes this.
  5. Arpadian

Arpadian Racer

and what change?

LeDude83 likes this.
  6. esox71

esox71 Alien

A couple clicks front camber/running psi 28.5/high diff preload/max wing.
    TC4/ABS4
    I might have lowered rear height click or 2.

7. Arpadian

Arpadian Racer

sorry but your description is kinda vague
    a couple of clicks?, lowered the camber or increased
    Max wing?, how much 6 ?

i will post a screenshot later of my current Nurbur setup

8. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

A race driver and a race horse are two completely different things.
    I could practice for a million years and I wouldn't be nearly as fast as Usain Bolt, he just has a much better body for what he does than I do. The same applies to your race horse example.
    To be a race driver, yes, your physical attributes will have an influence if you're a real driver: the less you weigh and the stronger you are, the faster you can be. But apart from that, what characteristics do you think an alien is born with that you and I aren't?

There's not a car in the world that would go 3 seconds faster around a circuit with those changes. In fact I don't think any car on ACC can lap 3 seconds faster with a custom setup than with the stock ones.

Arpadian likes this.
  9. esox71

esox71 Alien

In fact yeah?

10. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Quite a few cars can easily get into 53's at Nurburgring just getting temps and pressures in the window with agressive default. You can easily adjust abs, tc and bias in car. I havent touched the aero in any car yet other then brake ducts for tyre temps, I havent been that far off pace to need to look deeper into setups yet.

The defaults are generally pretty good, once you start running dynamic conditions you need to learn how to adjust things if your tyres are well out.

With the pretty good base setups it makes it fun to try all the cars, knowing your not starting from scratch at each track. A few setups need a little more work but the vast majority are good to go very competitive in all cars.

Also laptimes are very relative, and I prefer more dynamic conditions and adjusting to what the track and weather gives you.

Run a few laps come back to pit if its way off and try again, its mostly a guess for the next session though with no temp info. So quite often your running a race or even short qualy session and tyres are a bit off optimal, which then teaches you to adjust driving to try and get the most out of what you have.

11. iVG

iVG Alien

Oh come on not this again.... 'how fast really are you if we take away your precious setups' blah blah... Racing drivers and racing horses Usain Bolt and lambos on Monza. The car does not suddenly receive large amount of grip because you've changed camber or abs settings. You are born with the instincts of a good driver and that's it. It's called talent. No amount of laps will get you close to what an alien can do in one session. Saying talent doesn't exist and it's all down to setup is diminishing Senna Prost Schumacher Alonso Hamilton and many many more. Even classics like sir Jackie Stewart and Fangio. They were racing in bloody bath tubs for god's sake.

I understand it's hard for some to swallow but people are born with certain talents. It just happens that driving is not one of yours.

12. Echo_29

Echo_29 Hardcore Simmer

I suggested this a while ago, but I think that the leaderboard times should have a little download set up button next to their time, this is a good feature that Project Cars 2 had and would love for it to be featured in ACC.

13. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

Hell no, some people spend a lot of time finetuning their setups. It should never be made so people can basically steal their setups. A lot of the faster people in pcars2 never did TT because of that reason.
    Sharing setups should be a possibility, not mandatory. Someone already created a website to share setups.

eracerhead and SimGuy_1 like this.
  14. Echo_29

Echo_29 Hardcore Simmer

I dont think thats true, you go onto the times and you see loads of e-sports drivers in the leaderboards, why wouldn't you want to help the community? If you are the faster driver you will win anyway.

15. iVG

iVG Alien

Why would you give away your secrets of going faster because some dude is lazy enough to learn what toe and camber is?

16. PiretSS2000

PiretSS2000 Racer

Cause that dude with a perfect set up probably is going to be 5 seconds slower, like before without the set up, so it doesn't matter

17. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

I was in a league, and I know for fact that a lot of people avoided TTs.

Aside from that, people shouldn't think they'll become faster if they pick some random alien's setup that's been tailored for his own drivestyle. Imagine the online races with people who cannot control their cars anymore cuz the setup they downloaded is way more on edge than they're used to.

18. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca Alien

Not entirely true. I remember back in the good old GPL days, we were doing hotlapping, and doing best laps after best laps, each day breaking records to one another, Im sure we all spend waaaay more then an hour each day.
    But one thing is for sure, when you reach some level, where you have a great setup for some car (for your self), and you know that car inside out, from then on you really don't actually need that much to practice. Ones only few laps that you warm your self up, and few more to do a great lap - whats concering hotlapping.
    To be fast and stable on a long runs (races), this is a other story.

19. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

How about the dudes that can get into 0.5-1 second range of the top of the leaderboard? You want to give them your setup that you've been working on for hours?
    Or people you drive against in a league? You want them to know your 'secrets'?

PiretSS2000 and iVG like this.
  20. iVG

iVG Alien

That same dude 5 seconds off the pace does not need anything more than the safe preset setup. Trust me, you do not gain 5 seconds solely with setup. All it does is it confuses people even more since they can't judge if it's their driving getting better or something else.

Dookie, Freddie Seng, tjr and 2 others like this.