1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Engine performance is now dependent on air density/temperature

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Arbuzzz, May 19, 2016.

1. phizz

phizz Simracer

When manufacturers do a Nordschleife record attempt they're looking for sunny weather at around 10°C, tarmac 20+. That seems to be a good compromise of engine power/ tire temps for this track.

Seria17hri11er and mantasisg 2 like this.
  2. I did some test with R34 at monza, and with foggy 10degrees and clear 35degrees I do same times, reach same top speed etc. I can't see any change in performance.

3. Alberto Llinares

Alberto Llinares Hardcore Simmer

I tested the Nismo 370Z @ 1000M dragstrip to see if the air temperature have a big impact on perfomance. I used Automatic transmission and Autoclutch to eliminate most variations between runs (Just floored the gas pedal all the way).

The results were (Speed under the 1000M barrier, did 3 runs for each temperature):

14:00, Optimum Grip, 10º Air Temperature -> 215Km/h
    14:00, Optimum Grip, 21º Air Temperature -> 214Km/h
    14:00, Optimum Grip, 36º Air Temperature -> 213Km/h

nijeat, Andy-R, Vibe Style and 6 others like this.
  4. lionbest

lionbest Racer

Did you do the same Air Temp multiple times?

5. mistery

mistery Hardcore Simmer

I think you guys are giving this too much thought, how does this really affect you all as individuals at regular racing? It's a negligible difference in low speed accel and a 1-2 kph top speed difference as conveniently proven above that affect all cars on the field. It's a +0.5 simulation value.

More concerned with GT3 balancing. Seems very artificial in that it's not mirroring real life individual car performance, rather a levelling of playing field in a game, which would be a big dent to simulation value. Just hoping I got it wrong and the data has been changed based on documents provided by manufacturers/teams, not what K felt right for leagues.

6. iVG

iVG Alien

I have just 1 single question. Has the slipstream effect been adjusted????

7. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

Then stay out of this thread and go start your own on GT3 Balancing. The world doesn't revolve around you. The OP is just as entitled to ask a question as you are.

8. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Racer

I wood gave thought lap time and speed would not be affected much. Even though cooler denser air may yield more HP doesn't it also mean there is a bigger hole to punch through the air flowing over the car surface that would also create drag? And the opposite in hot weather?

9. iVG

iVG Alien

You forget about cold air condensation being sucked in the cylinders thus getting in the way of ignition/burning. However, I have no idea how deep the current engine corrects for things so all we're doing here is chit chat.

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  10. Rudski

Rudski Alien

Would ACTI help with data?

11. Alberto Llinares

Yes, 3 runs for each Air Temp.

pika4u and Seria17hri11er like this.
  12. lionbest

lionbest Racer

That is some proper testing.

Alberto Llinares likes this.
  13. Alberto Llinares

Thank you :)

14. Thanks for that test Alberto!

Bare in mind guys, like others have mentioned, temp affects tires and grip levels as well. You can't expect to just decrease temperatures and get better times because of better engine performance. The lower temps might sacrifice too much grip with some tires.

You can see from Alberto's drag test that coldest temp was fastest; but there was no side loads/slip angle because it was always accelerating in a straight line. Around the track could be a different story. It definitely matters what car--therefore tires--your running. Cars with vintage tires may see less performance benefit with cold temps.

Alberto Llinares and ALB123 like this.
  15. Arbuzzz

Arbuzzz Hardcore Simmer

Here we go, finitely some data :)

But of course, would be the best to get direct info from devs

Alberto Llinares likes this.
  16. leon_90

leon_90 Hardcore Simmer

Technically, the air temperature would have much more impact on fluids then on the engine itself directly. Higher water and oil temps limiting the engine's capabilities. But also on brakes. How many times we see race cars with brakes literally on fire on hot tracks? Much difficult for them to properly cool down.
    Also this would be an AC exclusive feature if implemented, since I believe no other sim works on fluids and brakes with air temp.
    Still, a first and very much appreciated step :)

17. I'm not sure about that; perhaps on certain race cars. On street cars, they are vigorously tested in all sorts of weather conditions and tuned/adjusted so that water and oil temps don't get too high or too low. So with street cars, it certainly wouldn't be a concern. But race cars, perhaps yes.

leon_90 likes this.
  18. leon_90

leon_90 Hardcore Simmer

You are forgetting an important variable. Road and street cars get some small modifications based on the market they will be sold in. This goes from the name, to the bodywork and also to the mechanics. Small tweaks to make it suitable to the audience it will be sold to. So, also to the environment they will drive in. Of course they are small tweaks, to accomodate the car to various environments and purposes, but they are no different from the small tweaks teams apply to their race cars based on the track they'll race on. Haven't you ever noticed that F1 cars use bigger radiator and brakes intakes in Monaco and Mexico? ;) otherwise they wouldn't cool down properly :) just an example
    This could be easily overcome with a radiator and duct size setting in the setup menu, at least for race cars. In AC we don't have polar arctic or desert tracks, so road cars wouldn't be that stressed to the point of breaking. But lower or higher temps should slightly affect performance.

MIND YOU I am not implying that it's something that must be implemented, but that it would be cool if it does. I love AC as it is already :D❤️

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  19. Well, yea, I can't argue with you on that. For street cars, the performance would be ever so slight. So slight, that there is probably no value in modeling it. End user would just never be able to tell any difference.

20. iVG

iVG Alien

All I'm thinking is Kunos are preparing us for proper engine simulation so don't get too wound up in the current state of things.