1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Go Faster - 4 Weight transfer part 1 at game&track YT channel

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Aristotelis, May 8, 2017.

1. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Sorry about the echo sound. I forgot to eliminate it in post processing.

Whitestar, Dookie and V8_KB like this.
  2. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

Interesting how I never thought about that line on Zandvoort and I never go outside on Vallelunga.

3. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Same for me V8, I will try the inside line at Zandvoort, but at Vallelunga I only tried the outside to see the difference and then kept to staying in the middle.

4. pavano

pavano Simracer

no worries!
    it's just so great to really feel your enthusiasm.
    I think you make for a great teacher. Really.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  5. Aristotelis

Thanks guys you make very happy :D
    Remember to share because when we get at a good number I'll start the "Race better" series and that will benefit all of us ;)

6. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Ok, watched the video and gave it a go myself. First upfront: very nicely done.
    Also very clear that this is only the start and this is only the first part in a chain of domino effects.
    Thanks for the nice explanations, because dampers, springs and ride height are usually the things a refrain from changing because of said domino effects.

Nevertheless, I gave it a go with your settings and noticed a few things.
    First I noticed that I really suck at driving this car. :eek:
    I started with your tyre pressures and had real issues with the car. Was very unpresice and missing grip. Noticed that the pressure was almost 3 clicks below optimum for me.
    Well, could be the ambient and road temperatures (26°C/25°C for me) influencing the tyre temps and pressures and of course my driving style.
    Went up one click first, then 2. Then it was feeling ok for me.
    Looking again at your video, I noticed that the pressure is almost always close to the blue and barely touches green.
    Not that it matters too much for the suspension setup, just was a bit surprised, especially since the slightly underpressured tyres had quite pronounced effect for me.

The second thing is that I really didn't like the handling of the lowered car.
    Yes, it's better than the standard setup, but was too oversteery for my taste. Especially given the lose diff setting in the standard setup.
    I stiffened the diff to 50% and softened the suspension at the rear by one click (+adjusting the right height), which felt much much better.
    But ok, I guess that's something for the next video.
    Fun thing though, I noticed that in some corners (e.g. T4, the hairpin) I'm faster if I'm drifting through the corner. Sure, the stiff diff supports this, but had to smile at that one. :D
    Don't want to make the diff too stiff though as that unsettles the car in the last corner (obviously tried 60% there).

Finally, may I make a suggestion for the (one of the next) video(s)?
    One thing that always bothered me with the setup hints was the text for the ARB.
    Basically it says something like "when stiffening the ARB, you will usually lose some grip, but that is not always the case. It depends on the suspension geometry.".
    (Sorry if the text isn't correct word by word, but I've got the german translation of that and not the english original.)
    I read that a few times and was always like "thanks, but that's really not helpful".
    I also noticed that most people tend to set the ARBs to lower values, possibly because that is easier to handle.
    However, I do remember a video from like 10 years ago, where a race driver compared the 911 GT3, 911 GT3 RS and 911 GT3 RSR (the last one being a race car).
    He said something like "in Wippermann, the RSR takes several seconds off the two other cars due to it's much stiffer chassis".
    (I guess he meant Wippermann/Eschbach/Brünnchen, though.)
    Ever since hearing that I was wondering why in exactly that section of the track the ARB matters that much and especially: what do you have to do to get it really working?

As a physicist I started to think a lot about how each part in the car should influence the other and how a setup philosophy might look like that is dedicated towards stiff ARB, but I never really came to a conclusion.
    Then you guys brought out the Porsche packs and there were quite a few cars that had a really stiff chassis and really stiff ARBs, like the 911 GT3 R, the 911 RSR or the 911 GT3 Cup.
    One remarkable thing on these cars was also that they used insane camber (iirc the real camber of the Cup Porsche was in the range of -5°) quite honestly, that made my head explode.
    I really don't get it, why that works.
    Maybe you can say a few things about that?
    I mean yeah, a stiffer chassis will result in more lean of the whole car onto the outer tyre, but it's also expected that the whole car leans less overall.
    Especially in cars with a very low center of mass like those Porsche racing cars. I really wouldn't expect such a high camber to be beneficial there.

In addition, I would really appreciate if you could explain the quote part of the setup hint above a bit deeper.

Tim Meuris likes this.
  7. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

I've been starting to read the info popup when doing the suspension setting. Make more sense than those you find in guides.

8. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

I find some AC setup descriptions more less helpful than others.
    (I'm sorry, I couldn't resist :D)

Ace Pumpkin, matz_AUT, QC. and 5 others like this.
  9. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Well it's hard to pack a book into a small text box. Especially if you're addressing people who don't really want to read but drive. ;)

10. gandlers

gandlers Hardcore Simmer

Another fantastic video Aris.

Need more..need more

11. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

ok my notes 1/2:

Getting comfortable with this combo by figuring out gearing and pressures.

On default setup:
    upload_2017-5-8_22-22-9.png
    (good comfort pace around 2:01.5, started pushing then including one mistake lap)
    Then I adjusted gears + pressures, and started to observe:

Maybe too early but those peaks are really related to one specific mistake, while I have a good picture of what I wanted to do. I wrote this before testing your suspension change.
    So VERY critical: This car is just awesome and handy to drive. Pretending not knowing it can handle better, I'd say it is very cool now.

In general the car has not exactly GT3 grip level and therefore doesn't bite as hell, but it loves sliding. Very controllable and can be used to counter most of the understeer. You have slightly oversteery corner entries that help much and can be controlled via throttle. Mid corner is understeery which is a slight problem on the longer corners, exits are power-oversteery but can be controlled by steering inputs. The car is pretty forgiving, if you can exit very fast (with less than around around 50° steering angle).

T1 (Hairpin)

It's braking stable, no problem. No movement during straight line braking. Locks the front axle, but in a pretty good way and distribution.

Oversteer, but this is very nice and even needed to counter the understeer.
    Is it because you're on brakes? Are you off brakes? -> Insane question. Every single lap in my replay ends with slight, maybe 10% brake input on the entry and the point where the rear comes. Need to drive again to tell.
    Yes it absolutely points where I want to (due to the entry oversteer).
    Didn't miss the point so far, but it would go outwards without a doubt.
    No idea about direction changes on entry, I think I could easily correct inwards movement and hardly towards the outside

Yes, close to a late apex. Usually straightly steering or even slight countersteer due to power oversteer. Car is very responsive to both steering and throttle input, but only floored throttle is going to be fast
    Longer corners: Close to apex only if I really nail it. But once you mention it, yes it's highly understeering once the entry oversteer is vanishing. I never get around those corners in one long steering effort, it's always a hassle. Input to the inside feels like hard work, and wrong.

Yes, even before apex. Looks very nice in the replay, almost gradually flooring. Ofc. it (still) oversteers, but it looks like this is fast.
    Gear is perfect.

T2 Gerlachbocht

It's braking stable, no problem. No movement during straight line braking, but line is important for straight braking.
    Doesn't lock here, too dangerous.

Hm. Wow. Actually it understeers, although I'm really violently turning in. I'm off brakes this time, and no it very often goes too wide and I miss the apex. So far I was booking this at my fail, but if I have to by CRITICAL with my car I'd say it could be more precise here.
    Rest of the questions: Yes you are right, 100% oversteer with all symptoms. But hey, this is a good old lady, why should I ask for more grip here?

Mixed this answer with entry, the corner is a bit short to distinct entry and apex. Still understeer like hell. Yes inputs are guiding the car back again, but not willingly.

I can give gas but it's way behind the apex. Not sure what is perfect in theory here, we have good speed before that corner and the following straight is so short.

T3 Hugenholtzbocht

Stable braking, front lock. Good behaviour.

Like T1, I'm throwing the car into the entry and it helps with oversteer. Like T1, not sure about those 10% brake input and if they matter.
    Yes, totally points where I want. Car is highly agile during the oversteer, love it.

Horrible. I'm doing the apex a little bit later, but usually never hit it due to the understeer.

Hopefully I can give early throttle, super important here. I think I'm constantly throwin away mid-corner for a good exit. Power oversteer again, gear is very good.

T4 Hunserug
    T5 Slotemakerbocht

Both flatout. Ok if you don't mess up your line

T6 Scheivlak

Stable braking, front lock.

Good initial turn-in, then into understeer. No brakes into the corner.

More often I'm close, because I already know how hard it is and how much steering is needed. Understeer big times.

Full throttle even before apex. Helps a bit turning the car and doesn't hurt.

12. Minolin

Notes 2/2:

T7 Mastersbocht

Stable braking, front lock.

Tricky corner. Much oversteer, almost too much. No brakes. Yes it points where I wanna go.

Have to admit not hitting the apex very often here. At least 1m to improve in average.
    After watching my replay again and again to answer the question I learnt that I have a huge understeer problem just at/after apex, which I was not aware of. Wth. Coming from the entry oversteer I really need to serious inputs to go around the corner.

Need to fix mid-corner first.

T8 Bocht 9

Tricky to brake into, no straight line. Still braking is good and helps turning a lot, but it's not easy to hit the apex this way.

Totally drifting into the apex, initialised by braking. Points where I want to go, moves perfectly but in total not exactly easy to execute.

Not always close, can be improved (by driving). Heavily oversteering at this point.

Full throttle at apex. Car is stabilizing now, allowing a more or less straight exit. Gear is ok, could be longer to prevent a short upshift.

T9 Bocht 10

Braking is totally fine again.

Oversteer as usual.

Mid corner is very much like T2. All of a sudden understeer, takes much effort and focus to get around the corner.

Exit is also like T2, but more difficult for me to execute. Earliest throttle possible, correction with the wheel. Gear is short.

T10 Hans Ernst Bocht (chicane)

Braking is totally fine again, often locking up the front.

Light rear, but not exactly oversteering. I think I'm approaching the curbs a little bit more careful. If I miss the point, car won't follow my inputs well.

I'll count both corners as mid-corner, and little surprisingly it's more understeery.

Exit exit works well, I'm cutting gas in the left hander, front grips more, car turns a bit and full throttle.

T11 Kumhobocht

Braking is stable.

Slightly oversteering, wheel is going straight towards the apex. Car is exactly where I want it to have.

Good apex hit, pretty neutral. Nope, extra inputs won't do a lot here.

Yes, early throttle again. Usually I'm just moving out neutrally. Gear is short, but not too sure about that.

T12 Last corner
    Almost flatout, need to lift at the entry to make it. Would love some extra grip here.

You asked for it :D
    But you were right, answering trivial questions wasn't as easy and at a few points I really learnt something even without your advice.
    Really, before that I was totally fine with the car. Maybe I can handle the oversteer well, but not the understeer in the longer corners. And I'm guilty of failing lesson 1 - examining my replays almost hurt. So many mistakes, so many misses.
    For reference: The lap in the video was around 2:00.3xx, best lap was 2:00.076 (and should be 1:59.1xx).

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    chksix likes this.
  13. matz_AUT

matz_AUT Hardcore Simmer

+1

If there's one thing I want to understand in this world before I turn senile it is camber, and its correlation on different types of tyres and cars.

Why is -5° said to work on the Porsches with the heavy rear? In my mind the inner shoulder should explode with all that load.
    Rumor has it, that static camber is best set around -3.4 for the other GT2/3 cars. Why not -5° on them as well?
    How do I know if a car need more static camber due to suspension geometry changing under compression, or the other way around?
    Does it make any sense to work with the dynamic camber reading of the suspension app during driving, to read the actual camber during cornering? If so, what to look after?

Every time I dig my head into camber it makes me dizzy!
    Seriously:confused::D

14. Aristotelis

It's a bit late here, so more to come tomorrow, but I can't resist to give you 2 hints.

@Minolin I can see a pattern here. Oversteer on entry while trailbraking, understeer on mid corner when you're off the brakes. I suspect that you've been pushing brake bias backwards to cure brake lockup and entry understeer, and then pushing the setup to be more stable to cure the entry oversteer... but when you let off the brakes, you understeer.
    Try going the opposite direction. More oversteery pressures/springs and more understeery braking bias. One click at a time.

@Berniyh and @matz_AUT I have one hint for you. McPherson suspension camber curves. Study it and you'll understand ;)
    (also sprint races but that's a different matter)

15. Minolin

No I only had gears and tyres so far, rest is default setup. I wanted to work on my feeling of the car, not (yet) going faster with setup stuff.

Edit: If you don't instantly see sense in my writeup - it may be my end ;)

16. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

@matz_AUT I made a guide. It work on some car, but get you a basic to get an idea how to set them by feel. It's kind of frustrating as pressure & alignment result an extremely large disparity of time on some car & track condition. I am aware it's not very good.

Although I tested without using the tire app & used my guide as reference. Finding the optimal PSI without it by only heading at the pit seem to have turned well which is a good thing.

@Aristotelis I'll look into McPherson suspension camber curves. I'm often stuck to ignore the same user.
    [​IMG]

Reversed when very low

matz_AUT likes this.
  17. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

tyres & gear ratio:
    2017-05-08 22_59_10-Assetto Corsa.jpg
    (disregard lap 4, I closed some apps that were still on from an earlier online session)
    laps 7 and 8 I lost half a second in T3 each lap

springs and BB like Aris:
    2017-05-08 23_18_44-Assetto Corsa.jpg

I was rather ok with the stock setup with pressure and gear ration adjustments, even hit the apex rather good. My laps were quite ok in pace and rather good in consistency.

The stiffer suspension and BB shifted towards the rear made the car rather more snappy for me.
    I had more front locking with this setup, small brake pressure differences made the tyres lock quite a bit more faster. Also I had more oversteer on turn-in / corner entry and also had difficulty to get good acceleration out of the turns.
    Overall less consistency with the stiffer setup, although I immediately notice how the car reacted better/sharper to my inputs.

Will do some more laps.

Edit: Watching the replay it seems I might have tried to 'carry the slide' out of the turns with the stiffer suspension.
    That kind of works with the soft springs, but seems to unsettle the car on exit.

18. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

@Aristotelis Wow thanks, indeed the control arm is so low that under compression the negative came reduce instead of increasing. Now it make much more sense to run with higher camber.

It confirm my camber guide wasn't so useless after all. I will update accordingly.

19. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

2 laps of the different setups.

soft suspension:

firm suspension:

But I just noticed that for some reason the selected gbW mod weather seems to have a bug and track temp was only at 18°C. :confused:

20. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

OK, I did another run.

soft:
    2017-05-09 00_42_34-Assetto Corsa.jpg

firm:
    2017-05-09 01_05_43-Assetto Corsa.jpg

middle, front springs 44 N/mm, rear 33 N/mm:
    2017-05-09 01_24_06-Assetto Corsa.jpg

The soft setup I still enjoy most, it very fun to drive this.

The firmer suspension feels twitchy to me, set BB to 67% in my 2nd attempt instead of 66% in the first run. The turn-in oversteer was reduced, but still it feels like the rear is too stiff and the rear feels loose into turns and mid-turn until you apply some slight throttle (as if the rear wheels were too slow).

The in-between setting actually brought me the better response of the car while being able to drive the car very consistent, but still, the soft suspension was best at brake feel and threshold braking.

Maybe I'm just not the driver for a (super) stiff suspension and need a looser one.
    This could also be the reason I like to drive road cars more than GT2/GT3 race cars. Although I (have learned to) like to drive open-wheelers now, but more for hotlapping and not so much to actually race them, because once I start to push GT2/GT3 or Formula cars I'm very likely to overdrive them or just spin out, while road cars and GT4(-like) race cars I rather like to race.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Tberg likes this.