1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

I'm wondering if grid autosport can really be this bad

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Strummer, Jun 25, 2014.

1. iVG

iVG Alien

No. I'd enjoy a good simcade as much as anyone else but games that promote crash fest derbies and reckless driving should be banned. They are dangerous as they alter the perception of racing among kids and teenagers, makes them think they are good drivers and once they get into the real thing they think they are godlike.
    And let's face it, minority of that audience makes it into sim racing because they enjoyed arcades. For me, it was the opposite. I hated how on replays real race cars drove very differently to arcade racers. That's why I switched and tried sims even though it was intimidating at first. I grew to love them though. It was that hatred the steered me away from casual racing, not the 'fun' that I must have supposedly had. Apparently it was no fun for me.

CanOx, Queequeg and Phil64 like this.
  2. 1karl1

1karl1 Simracer

People who drive recklessly on the road irl are just retards full stop . Banning any video game for that reason is a new one to me o_O Motor racing is a contact sport anyway and of course i've noticed how playing sims helps people be better drivers especially at more or less every single first corner of every online race in assetto i've ever had .

3. iVG

iVG Alien

That happens because most are coming from those 'sims' and have no idea what they are doing. 1 black sheep in the flock is enough for1st corner mayhem.

4. TCLF

TCLF Alien

depends on what form of Motorsports. Nascar and derby indeed is, but F1, motogp and other forms of racing are totally not a contact sport

5. 1karl1

1karl1 Simracer

In the context of video games to which i was referring they are , anyways i don't get the grid autosport hate , games like this are like the entry level gateway for sims like assetto and others where some gamers like me will play and want more realism and then try sims which will enlarge the community which is better for all of us .

I'l be playing through the single player and online to give myself a break from assetto for a month or so as some parts of this game are becoming overly familiar . Hopefully by the time i come back will be something new from Kunos .

6. It certainly isn't a contact sport. There are a very few exceptions such as speedway stock car racing which encourage contact, but everything else isn't. Touring cars are a grey area, technically it's not supposed to be a contact sport, but rubbing and nudging has sadly become accepted into it.

Back to the topic - Grid Autosport isn't aimed at sim racers. Codemasters know where their target market is, and its a target market which will buy this particular game. Its a business model at the end of the day, and they aiming to make money.

7. TCLF

TCLF Alien

@1karl1 Never heard of motogp? Yes it's also motor racing.

The grid autosport hate comes from the fact that the game doesn't live up to the expectations. Grid 1 was good, Grid 2 and autosport are worse and def not what the grid 1 audience wanted. They said after the bad grid 2, that autosport would be more like grid 1. In the end it wasnt even that close. This all equals people hating it.

8. Wrongfire

Wrongfire Hardcore Simmer

Grid 1 destroyed the Toca series, I don't think most people would say it's a good game.

9. Ahh yes... TOCA, good times.

GRID is an arcade franchise, yes their CEO said that its more towards sim, but they say the darndest things the higher the corporate ladder goes.

Banning games is nothing new. Back in the day there was an official hearings if Counter-Strike should be banned in Germany.
    Australia (why I use australia as an example!? It has the largest list of banned games from western countries.) has banned and censored many video games inclueding Postal, Left4Dead2, Syndicate... and then theres the list that was banned/censored but eventually found their way to the market like GTA franchise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games

I wouldn't be supriced if there is a piece of land somewhere that iVG's wish comes true.

10. 1karl1

1karl1 Simracer

Yeah of course i have it's got nothing to do with this car racing topic tho until you mentioned it and yeah wrongfire Grid 1 & 2 are pretty much a joke simwise but watching inside sim racings preview i bought it and i'm trying to talk about autosport fairly for what it is & not what others believe it pretends to be even thoough the devs have said many times they're more after the feeling of racing than realism . I think my first good memory of any driving game was the original toca on ps1 in cockpit view felt so real at the time ha .

11. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

I quite like it so far, it's enjoyable game

sure I would wish for more realistic physic, but I'm not their main marker
    it's definitely big improvement over Grid2

and their tracks/trees are very nice

12. Brenn10

Brenn10 Gamer

I like it to. Fun to play, good graphics and the ai seem decent to.

13. Matty28

Matty28 Simracer

I agree, arcade and simcade definitely is a gateway to enlarging the community. Show most children or newbies a sim and they will throw it out the window and start crying for Mario Kart back. If they play something like Codemasters games or Forza and enjoy it they might progress to sims.
    You said "Motor racing is a contact sport anyway". MotoGP is motorbike racing.

14. iVG

iVG Alien

Any sport that includes a vehicle with an internal combustion engine is considered motosport. (Hybrids and electrics are a recent addition)

15. Tucker73

Tucker73 Hardcore Simmer

If you enjoy AC then avoid these codie's titles, its pure arcade nonsense.

iVG likes this.
  16. MrBlitz

MrBlitz Rookie

I find some of these "arcade" titles to be the same thing as watching a mindless action movie blockbuster. No thinking required, you enjoy the lush visuals, etc, with minimal concentration required to have fun. Other times I enjoy the challenge of the sims, or a serious "thinking" movie.

As an example, I have spent many hours with Test Drive Unlimited (1), cruising around Hawaii, or chasing around like my hair is on fire, enjoying the landscapes, the sound of the cars (which is quite good imo), playing with my keyboard of all things, and having a laugh at the ease with which I can hold ludicrous power slides due to the steering correction.

Serious? No. Fun and relaxing? Yes.

alienillusions likes this.
  17. mattrick

mattrick Racer

Why?

I like both, just as I like both Arma 3 and Titanfall, just as I like indian food and chinese food, just as i like blondes and brunettes.

Variety is the spice of life (especially women)!!

18. 1karl1

1karl1 Simracer

Motorhead are a rock band and have as much to do with grid autosport and this topic as motorbikes unless were playing lets be pedantic .

19. kjelle

kjelle Racer

I don't really understand why some of you use word like hate, arcade nonsense, destroyed etc.... It's on my desk now, and I will install it on a rainy day after taking out old versions of Cubase and other programs that are filling up my SSD at the moment.
    I moved on to AC after trying GRID2 for a while. First reason was to find a racing game which wasn't based on sliding round every corner. Check/AC! Second reason was that I got tired of some drivers always using contact as part of their driving style, even in the "Hard Core mode". Check/AC ..... not really, maybe getting there. Third, trying to find a easy, flexible race system with a good community. Not Checked... yet.
    There were certainly a bunch of good drivers in the GRID2 community, and many of them with good racing etiquette as well. The casual race booking worked quite well for people like me, having problems to commit to organized scheduled racing. Haven't tried this in GRID_A yet, but this worked quite well for racing on the fly in GRID2.

If you don't like it, don't play it. Why using so many extreme negative statements on something that others might appreciate? Different preferences, for shure, but disrespectful to the fans of other games.
    I will probably continue to favour AC after testing GA, but let their fans drive in peace.

Peace, love and understanding! (Yes, I was a teenager in the 70's.... :cool: )

20. eSEA One

eSEA One Hardcore Simmer

I am with you on this one. Each to his /her preference. I did enjoy Forza 4 but couldn't go back to it after AC. Have F1 2013 but not much time on it since I got it. Now some of you are going to laugh! I have spent loads of time (17 days total :eek:) with Real Racing 3 on my Android phone during my 2hr daily commute on the train. So go figure

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014