1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Is there any way to change ffb frequency (hz)?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by JoseL231, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

Ok, still not convinced. It is definitely better with the setting at 0.01, for some reason, but still acts counter-intuitive in some occasions.
    For instance, Lotus 49, coming up from Eau Rogue last left hander, rear getting light and the car gaining yaw. The suspension in unloading at this point, so the crippling force from the compression is easing off. As the car starts to yaw I would expect the gyro to help keep the front wheels pointed straight ahead. instead the wheel is almost "locked" in the position the car is pointing, instead of the way the front wheels were pointing. So, the gyro seems to want to keep the front wheels pointing in the direfction of the car body, instead of in whatever direction the are pointing at the moment. This has been my issue since the beginning. It is a really strong force too, with 20Nm available it gets REALLY hard to turn the wheel. With the gyro effect turned off I can counter the slide very naturally by letting the car sort it out, almost without interaction from me (very relative term, of course, but there is no steering effort required, just delivate throttle and steering control).

But overall, with the new setting I might be convinced to use the effect, sinve it makes the driving quite a bit more natural in most circumstances, I just feel it works against my intuition in the places I need it the most.

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  2. For some reason Lotus 49 felt terrible with the Gyro when I tried it months ago. It was just so terribly sluggish I couldn't keep the car on track.

Atle Dreier and Seria17hri11er like this.
  3. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

Yeah, I have the same feeling. So what car shine with the gyro? Maybe the L49 had a problem.

Sent fra min SM-N910F via Tapatalk

4. I don't know really. Haven't used it for a while but I've done a bit similar effect with the Friction effect from MMOS FFB controller. I might have to give it another shot.

5. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

Yeah, it feels canned somehow, like a speed sensitive damper setting.

Sent fra min SM-N910F via Tapatalk

6. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

I believe (been quite a while since I read about it) the gyro effect is supposed to mimic the rubber twisting against the tarmac when you turn the wheel, so that in effect could feel a bit like damper. I use it on my CSW V2 and like it, I don't get the suddenly super heavy feelings you described but I'm not on a DD wheel so that may have something to do with it, and I haven't driven that Lotus for quite some time (will try to give it a go if I remember).

7. That does not add up.

marcinmarcin79 likes this.
  8. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

You're right, it's supposed to mimic the effect of a spinning wheel wanting to resist being turned (which end up in my brain as the rubber resisting turning against the tarmac). I dunno, I read so much stuff on here that it all gets jumbled up in my brain compartment, probably best to ignore my rambling. :confused:

Here's a thread on it, Aris said it's mainly to add damping to DD wheels to help stop oscillations.

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/ff_experimental-enable_gyro-0.25329/

9. Daniel Perez

Daniel Perez Hardcore Simmer

In some cars it is very pronounced while for others it is much more subtle. I don't think it is canned, I would say it could be quite realistic for a car like the lotus 49 with such a big tires and that suspension geometry, for the lotus 25 it is even more pronounced.
    I remember Aris said that when he tried the KTM at Modena the steering wheel got very dampened making the car very dificult to drift because of the steering wheel not counter steering fast enough. I don't know if it was related to the gyroscopic effect or not but the KTM gets very dampened too because of the gyro in the game.
    I really like to have it on with my wheel.

Andrew_WOT and Seria17hri11er like this.
  10. rycil

rycil Simracer

11. Tried this first time and was not very satisfied (too much damping for me on G27) but with:

ENABLE_GYRO=0/1 (depend on indyvidual - for me both OK, using now 0)
    DAMPER_MIN_LEVEL=0.01
    DAMPER_GAIN=0.5

wheel is much firmer, but damping seems very natural - don't know why but 0.01 seems to be a real magic changer as you wrote before ;)

Anyway little strange because of damping set to 0 in logitech, but maybe it's because allow games ticked and AC control damping instead of Logitech Profiler

12. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Need to test it myself but a little surprised that 1% of damping can make any noticeable difference unless this parameter doing not exactly as documented or decimal point is in the wrong place. :)
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/ffb-damper-and-its-effects.27859/#post-621123
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...-current-state-of-ac.25876/page-4#post-524159

sherpa25 and Topuz like this.
  13. Nao

Nao Alien

It's because the gyro is a "hotfix" for high end wheels, not an actual feature. It creates damping forces so that steering of the car, >especially with power steering<, feels more natural. But the issue here is that it's magnitude is based on the gyroscopic forces*, so cars like L49 which have very heavy wheels , compared to chassis weight, get severe damping. In effect what we drive with gyro-on is a L49 with a stiff power steering... yep.

In the end the gyro is as much canned as the any other effects (road, kerb, slip, understeer) - based on some input from the physics but added on top in an artificial way.

* - There is solid theory behind making it that way, and it's pretty interesting, but in the end it suffers from lack of development time... maybe someday we can get both proper gyroscopic forces and steering rack damping - right now it's just a mish-mash of the two features. (Personally the name of the effect irks me to no end, as in reality it's a power steering simulation named "gyro" ... just :mad:)

edit: oops, forgot to refresh (many hours later) before reply, @BrandonW77 and @Seria17hri11er The thing is, "gyro" is correctly calculating gyroscopic forces of the wheel (rim, rubber, brakes) and it has nothing to do with contact with the tarmac itself, like in the Serial's video ... but the force has wrong direction half of the time since it is used to damp the FFB instead of actually adding forces to the physical wheels.
    As far as i was able to calculate, the gyroscopic effect for cars like L49 would have noticeable effect on handling, stabilizing the car at high speeds (increasing it's yaw inertia, as well as applying a constant straightening force in turns that would make the car understeer similarly to having stronger rear wing than front). But as it is for now, it's just a FFB damper.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  14. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

That's not what Aris said in this very thread, but it seems to correlate with my observations. Not calling @Aristotelis a liar here, but it's placebo city at this point. I'll leave it off and add some damping in the control panel. That way it's at least consistent with speed. :)

15. Nao

Nao Alien

Sorry but i can't find Aris answer (post deleted? or did you mean in some other thread?)... "Gyro" is definitely more realistic than stock, but the way this is achieved does not simulate gyroscopic forces properly, that's one thing i'm sure about. :p

16. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

Might have been a different thread on the same topic. I've been going on about the gyro in several places lately..

Edit: It was in a private conversation with Aris about this and other FFB things, actually :p He confirmed how gyros work in real life, and that this is what was replicated in AC. Certain suspension configurations and setups could theoretically create this reluctance to turn the wheel even if the car is yawing.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  17. When damper_min_level= 0 and logitech profiler damper 0 there is no damping at all. Seems that 0.01 enable damping independent from logitech profiler settings. And it feels dynamic (my range is from 0.01-0.5) and feeling seems better than any value from this range set up manually in logitech profiler

18. Nao

Nao Alien

Ohhh , so it could be a bug or something (like me missing some bits about suspension setup :p). Ok if i get the time (have a lot of nasty stuff on my head atm) i'll double check and make a post about it, thanks :)

Dookie, Seria17hri11er and sherpa25 like this.
  19. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

I'd be very interested in exploring this with you!

20. Me too.