1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Lack of Feeling of Speed Acceleration

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by blueshark747, Sep 17, 2016.

1. blueshark747

blueshark747 Gamer

Ok lets talk about this folks!

How are you guys enjoying this???

Even with the FOV increased the cars still feel slow as if you are maxxing out at 80MPH.
    Am I missing something? How does racing feel exciting to you all?

I was hoping playing in VR or 3D Vision would greatly increase the feeling of speed and it doesn't.
    The cars in AC and PC just feel slow....is it because most track maps don't have objects zooming past you on the sides of the roads? Even driving next to AI cars it feels like we are all going under 80MPH.

Driving the P1 or Pagani acceleration wise should feel like all hell is breaking lose...and to me both cars feel like slugs...

I also learned that engine RPM range sounds help with feeling of speed immersion...AC and PC just don't sound like wide open throttle accelerations in any cars.

Why didn't the devs spend more time on this?
    It just feels like AC and PCars are lacking on acceleration immersion.

Even Forza 6 has got that part right.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting ingame Replay TV cameras are black but with sound Apr 20, 2024
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Misano - skybox black flashes, graphics glitches, FPS drops Mar 10, 2024
    ACC Virtual Reality Misano skybox repeatedly flashes/flickers to black, skybox texture changes Jan 4, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer dedicated server cant set driver info "black background" Sep 24, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Game shuting down after black screen when launch May 31, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Stuttering and black screens Apr 9, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer Lack of BOM in server results files Feb 15, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Blacklisted from Touge Life 3 Sep 22, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Black screen crash [Resolved by restored OS installation] Jul 16, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer 1.8.16 hotfix - Severe lack of servers after update Jul 6, 2022
    ACC User Interface Lack of in game information is off putting May 23, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality Vr mirrored screen black May 14, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Customer support - or lack thereof! May 10, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Blacklisted from chris32.de | Nordschleife Touristenfahrt Apr 14, 2022
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Black mirrors in replay Mar 27, 2022

3. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

They are what they are. AC has more or less

- Realistic terrain distances, down to centimeter accuracy
    - Realistic driver viewpoint/perspective
    - Realistic acceleration speeds
    - Realistic top speeds
    - Realistic braking distances
    - Realistic car measurements

So scenery in your car windows moves (more or less) at the speed it should.

Sense of speed/acceleration comes down to
    - Not feeling G-forces of acceleration, braking and turns
    - No peripheral vision (solved with triples, VR or ultrawide.. single screen simply can't do it)
    - Psychological effect (fear of crashing/injury/death) which can't be replicated
    - Your FPS/screen refresh rate perhaps. Imo it's mostly about peripheral vision = triples or VR

Nothing wrong with the sense of speed IMHO, the modern F1's in Red Pack feel almost too fast, like I'm watching a fast forwarded movie. Also speed blindness happens in sims too. If you drive very fast cars (most cars of AC) all the time, relatively high speeds start to feel like nothing. Sometimes if I drive something like Alfa Giulietta or Abarth, the faster cars will feel faster after it.

I've also maxed the cockpit shake effects, to get a bit more immersion.

4. Orne

Orne Alien

Next time you are a passenger in a car, sit close to the windshield and cup your hands around your eyes which will obscure you peripheral vision, make note of the decreased sense of spend. Suggesting that Forza gets this right is interesting. I would bet Forza and other non simulator driving games amp up the FOV speed to compensate for the loss of g force feeling and the loss of peripheral vision.

I trust the devs have gotten this correct given their obvious love of driving simulators and the in depth knowledge they possess regarding motorsports, automotive engineering and vehicle physics. These guys have driven many if not all of the cars simulated in Assetto Corsa. There are videos on youtube to prove that. Correct me if I'm wrong but Kunos Simulazioni's offices are located at Vallelunga Circuit. These folks clearly eat, sleep and breath motorsports. Nothing wrong with asking questions although a bit of common sense should be applied as well..

Interestingly enough I checked out the Forza Apex demo and the FOV speed seemed about the same as PC and Assetto Corsa to me.. Although the FOV in Apex was much wider than I prefer the speed seemed more or less the same..

Considering that the FOV speed in PC and AC is largely the same do you think its possible they both got it wrong exactly the same way? What your FPS in AC and PC ? 30fps or 60 and up ?

Seria17hri11er and Horus like this.
  5. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Nothing wrong with speedsensation in AC. If you´ve tried driving on a real track....well, you´ll know that you´re often going through a corner at the speed limit of most freeways, and you don´t even notice.
    Actually sensation is the best in VR because of the 1:1 size and depthperception.
    You can try this: get the FOV right first or just go with VR if you have it. Then pick a slow car like Alfa Guilietta, but go to Nords, as this track is narrow. Now drive it and get the feel of the car, but push it as hard as you can. Notice when you´re driving at 60mph/100kmh and what speeds you´re going through corners, making the tires work. Do at least a full lap. Now change the track to something wide open, like Silverstone. Notice the somewhat decrease in sensation of speed. Do a few laps too. Finally, start up Nords again but pick something fast, like P1, and tell me if you think it feels slow?

Cheers!

Phil64 likes this.
  6. Coanda

Coanda Alien

jump in the SF15-T and drive around spa balls out. next...

7. plaid

plaid Alien

Whats different in Forza 6?
    Im really curious. I think the behavior of the camera in cockpitview can really change the experience, besides some effects, so it compensates for missing impressions in reality.

I downloaded the RealHeadMotion-mod and changed some settings in AC and its somehow better now. Maybe you should look for that app in the modsection. Also download sound mods, especially those from Fonsecker. Sounds makes a big difference.
    And buy a Rally game. They feel usually more exciting. :D [There also many rally and street track mods for AC]

8. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

i think sense of speed is fine in AC. IMO it doesnt do acceleration/deceleration justice though. from reading posts around these forums im of the opinion this is down to 2 things, lack of proper drivetrain physics and the reverb sound effect using internal sounds not external. i really wish AC had done these 2 things better as i think the heart and soul of driving pleasure comes from the sounds on and off throttle and through the gears. racing is great in AC but enjoyment from just driving could be improved IMO.

eXo likes this.
  9. Kaaarp

Kaaarp Racer

One thing you can easily try is adjusting the seating position and view angle. Move the seat position up and angle it down so you see more track immediately in front of the car - that can give you an extra visual pointer.

I think a broader in-car sound scape would help (more creaking and squeaking).

10. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Try bumper cam.

In reality, big, heavy limousines lure you into believing you trfavel slwoer than you actually do. In lighter, smaller cars, same speed gives you the perception of going faster. Interestingly, AC sometimes gives me comparable differences.

When I compare to videos on youtube using comparable camera angles, I find the sim doing quite realistic and fine with giving speed and acceleration sensation.

Single screen, FOV around 55 here.

11. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Lack of G forces is an issue in all sims. However I'd try the slower cars on a tighter track with closer surroundings. Trento's good for speed immersion, the feeling of speed is perfect there in the road cars, not over or under, just right.

I didn't really "get" Silverstone till I drove it with the SF15T, then all of a sudden it feelt like some sort of ultimate driving arena. Horses for courses...

Phil64 likes this.
  12. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

VR as it is should certainly help improve sense of speed.

But it could be better. VR is only roughly 100 degrees FoV at the moment and optimal sense of speed would come from 200-220 degrees(270 degrees is full human FoV, but is only seen if eyes are looking to the side as much as possible, which we dont do much).

13. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

There are two, very different questions involved. Sense of speed? Yes, sucks if you miss all of the real-life goodies like forces, close reference points, FoV - but most important the tension up to danger level. A software could add some fake effects that somehow relate to fast driving, and increase the difficulty. I mean 3g cornering in a F1 car? You are near a blackout and most probably can't control where your head is looking at. The effects are recreateable in software, but you'd be dissapointed what it actually gives. Driving well is hard enough, without random camera movement or motion blur/fov/blackout fake effects.

The other question is for the feel of acceleration. Physically acceleration can ONLY be felt; the feedback type we just don't have. Visuals and noise can only support or hint the perception of acceleration, although you'd expect the whole package.
    Now comes the catch; you can get used to acceleration pretty easy. Don't overestimate the sensation of a 300 or 400 hp car, it's not that much by default and you very early adapt it and feel nothing when flooring the throttle. An experienced race driver (what we "play" in AC) wouldn't specifically feel much sensation on his car's acceleration.

Had a taxi drive last year, wasn't exactly overwhelmed by the acceleration given of 420 hp; one bike season later I couldn't even feel it in a slightly stronger car this year - it was just like driving AC
    (talking about forward acceleration, not to confuse with lateral or braking. It is so unreal)

14. blueshark747

blueshark747 Gamer

Guys I get the whole physical part of acceleration immersion of feeling G Force, torque chassis,suspension physics when going WOT.

We are playing a racing sim through a screen of some sort but, I feel AC/PC should have focused on much more visual and audio to enchance the feeling and immersion of speed and acceleration.

Now changing PCars FOV helps a ton with the feeling as you can see

In Forza 6 if you notice they greatly improved RPM sound ranges from Forza 5. The cars actually scream at WOT through RPMs.
    This adds so much more to acceleration immersion to me. AC and PCars sound nothing like this when you are nailing the throttle.
    Also yes Forza 6 has some blur and camera shake features that greatly improve the acceleration experience.
    Go drive the McLaren in both AC/PC with cockpit view then drive Forza 6's. Hell of a difference.

To me neither AC nor PC engine sounds are peaky. 7K RPM in the McLaren sounds like 4K RPM in AC and PC.
    I too feel sounds could have been done much better.
    Forza 6 sounds and feeling of speed are much better than AC/PC

15. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

obviously we will always lack the feel of G's. i think sounds and the mechanical stuff can add to acceleration a lot though, the way the car revs, the way it is geared, the off throttle sounds when shifting or decelerating. i think all that stuff is a big part of acceleration/deceleration... or atleast the enjoyment from it. i think this is the part that a simulation can actually replicate and i would argue it is more important than the feel of G's on your body for enjoyment anyway.

my friend had a little NA MX5 with a straight through pipe for an exhaust. that car wasnt very fast but i enjoyed it when he put his foot down in that thing more than a lot of faster cars ive been in... and more than the same car after he added a Subaru turbo. i dont think it is just purely a sound thing. it is the character of the car.

my benchmark for sounds is iRacing

16. blueshark747

blueshark747 Gamer

Hmmm I'm gonna check that out...its now VR compatible right?

Gonna find me an AC map mod with narrow roads and objects on the side of it

17. Mr.Mugel

Mr.Mugel Alien

Interesting how much perception can vary. That F1 sound in Forza you posted sounds so synthentic to me that I wouldn´t get any engine feel from it. It doesn´t seem to feature the slightest transmission noise and in my perception is way to low in frequency for a high revving V12. Which is quite the opposite of your feeling. Compare to this video maybe (bear in mind that the driver may experience high pitch tones lower due to noise insulation of the helmet, but still the transmission noise is quite loud):

Maybe you could try the sound mods by @Fonsecker (found here and here at RD.com). The F1 GTR sound is well done in my opinion with that mod.

Also you can alter your FOV in AC, too, if you want to drive with such a wide FOV. I use 54° myself which is allready a lot, but I have my 24" monitor pretty close and it feels good to me, which is the most important factor in FOV in my opinion.
    And if you crank up the G-Force sliders in AC, you´ll get a better shake expierence, too. With the benefit that it comes from the laserscanned track through the vehicles suspension. What I dislike in Forza 6 (Apex on PC) is that the camera allways shaked at speed, no matter if you drive at an older track or a new one, it´d still shake on a 100% even ice surface, I guess. I haven´t driven with the stock camera in AC for a while, since I use RHM, so I don´t really know how the bumps look and feel, but with RHM it´s quite nice.

Just adding this not to be misread, I´m not trying to put you or Forza down by any means, everyone should do what he likes best, and as said, perception varies by huge amounts.

18. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

not sure if it's VR compatible. iRacing isnt cheap, you could always just check some comparison.

19. blueshark747

blueshark747 Gamer

Yessss Thank You!!!!

20. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

Kegetys converted a rally stage from rbr a while back. That is my reference for sense of speed and general driving feel. Amazing stage!

Sent fra min SM-N910F via Tapatalk

Phil64, marcinmarcin79 and Mogster like this.
  21. Find a copy of Lake Louise, or any of the tracks that the SIM TRAX guys are converting.