1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Lack of Feeling of Speed Acceleration

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by blueshark747, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Hardcore Simmer

A good word for it, too, is Velocitization. A loss of one's sense of true speed, due to prolonged travel at high speeds.
    there is also a similar effect to the width of the road and surroundings. race tracks are much more open (yes, not ALL), especially something like Spa. Spa feels so slow to me all the time, but mostly because it's such a wide space, both on road and on other surfaces. Higher speed feels much faster in a residential area than on the open road.

Personally, I would guess many of us, including myself, mistake the actual size of the racing space for being "miniature". At which point, the brain will barely focus on the feeling of heavy weight (through the wheel and visually) and break immersion.

EDIT: although it seems kind of rediculous, I like to do a Shomaru Touge with the shelby cobra. Entirely too tight for that car, but once you get JUST enough straightaway and heat, you REALLY get a good sense of pure acceleration. Something I couldn't see on a regular track.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Seria17hri11er and vegaguy 5555 like this.
  2. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Trying in something like black cat county where you take a normal car and try to stick to one lane and to speed limits you're used in your country. Dash cam instead of cockpit can be better for sense of speed as you see the road better.
    But turn off the apps, follow only the car dials. The fact that you need to lean down your sight to follow the car gauges destabilizes your mind from a constant speed sensation to something more variable. Looking at scenery and looking left or right while driving in one lane will make you more alert/'scared'. And speed sensation where you can tell if you're going too slow or too fast due to all this care you need while driving in a public road vs a race track with larger available road can bring you closer to sensation of real life.
    A race track is a different kind of speed sensation, real life has a lot more lively details and the fact you're actually in the world driving a car and not sitting at home with a screen looking at computer graphics.

vegaguy 5555 likes this.
  3. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

Very well thought out.
    Yes, and a good example for me is in a large slow flake, heavy snow at night with a cross wind. At times it feels like I'm going backwards when traveling at 80km.

I wonder if an app for speeding up the side view (not blurred) would help. Something that could be turned off and control speed.

4. Mike1304

Mike1304 Alien

If a sim for 40 bucks could give you really exactly the same feeling and speed sensation like driving a real supercar everyone spending 100.000's of bucks for a real supercar would be a fool! ;):D

Roble and vegaguy 5555 like this.
  5. blueshark747

blueshark747 Gamer

Yea folks my problem were the huge wide open original tracks in AC...to each its own
    They are bland and no fun to me even in VR......I learned I'm more of a narrow road/city/countryside map fan.

I loaded up the La Ferrari on Lake Louise with 7 other cars on the grid and I'm using Fonsecker's sound mods.
    I now step on the Ferrari and she menacingly screaming at me and trying to take me to hell.

Holy crap Lake Louise is downright scary and adrenaline pumping in the La Ferrari.

So yea the AC handling/acceleration mechanics are just fine...it was the too wide feeling tracks that made my experience bland.

I'm so looking forward to some new track mods with narrow roads!!!!!

vegaguy 5555 likes this.
  6. Jynnantonix

Jynnantonix Simracer

maybe it's something to do with the extreme stability at high speeds. Have a look at 3:24 going up the straigh in this vid of AMS and note how the car just looks pretty wild at high speed. Wind noise is a factor too. Might just be the car though and AC might feel the same with eg the RUF at same track.

SlimRacer and vegaguy 5555 like this.
  7. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

What car is this?
    Why is this so much fun?:)

8. Had the feeling AC is little slow - but seems that adding some level of motion blur may help significantly... for my eyes 6 seems much faster than 0

9. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

Yeah. I know what you mean. I hate any kind of blur but real life in sim feels slow.
    I remember the first time my friends and I started Assetto Cora coming from Gran Turismo. It was very slow and light years more correct.
    God bless Kunos!!

10. I don't say it's slow - seems that with blur it looks faster and more real life like... I also hate blur so always turn it off, but in AC this effect looks really good and not so annoying as other titles...

BTW - on this vid few posts ago, AMS seems good game in terms of physic but even slower in eye feeling than AC ;)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    vegaguy 5555 likes this.
  11. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

I don't know about you guys, but I'd much rather have an accurate simulator and take the time to adjust to it than layer on some artificial effects to alter my perception. Once you 'settle in' it works beautifully. I won't try to deny that I missed a lot of braking zones in my first week or two, though.

vegaguy 5555 likes this.
  12. Seems best is always to try by yourself... on DFGT best was to use gamma and with kerbs and road effect at 0 had no feeling of them at all... with G27 on the same driver use LUT and setting effects more than 0 seems fake/artificial (natural level at 0). Used to treat motion blur as a fake and unnatural, but in AC it works really good... always you can turn of if you wont be satisfied. The point is - on some rig some settings may be artificial on other more natural...

vegaguy 5555 likes this.
  13. plaid

plaid Alien

It would be accurte if your field of fiev would be 180°x130° and move according to your headmovements and you would feel the forces. A sim without that isn't accurate in the first place and your perception is altered from the start. The effects are simply a way to compensate for whats missing, especially since most can't or don't want afford tripescreens (+the necessary hardware) nevermind a motionrig, speaking of the better and more expensive ones.

14. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

I just had a massive improvement with physics theading set to 8 cores. Physics latency went from about 4 to a constant 0.
    Sorry if I'm repeating myself but I didn't realize how much of an improvement this really was until last night.
    With physics latency at 0 I have more time in the corners and everything feels faster now.

Think back to when your screen was jumping. Did it feel slower?

See, when one person has a complaint we respond with our experience of our setup.

I can testify that when my system was at its worst it was very slow feeling, very icy. Brakes lock up too easy. I would fly through a corner before I could react.

I think we should be able to have a list of questions the would rate your system and help trouble shoot.

Ace Pumpkin and marcinmarcin79 like this.
  15. Jynnantonix

Jynnantonix Simracer

My cpu only has 4 cores, but out of interest where do you set physics threading?

16. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

When I think back to people saying bad things about AC I think it's more likely their system wasn't set right.
    assetto_corsa ini file

Read everything very carefully here and ignore 'simulation value' its a joke.

17. you are missing that you are in a computer screen and not on a real life car

18. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

C or main drive/steam/steam apps/common/assetto corsa/system/cfg

I think that's it? There is one in your docs file but that's not the one you want.

19. Jynnantonix

Jynnantonix Simracer

thanks, set cpu cores to 4 and I'll see how it feels.

20. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

You have to take out the - or it will kick you back to main screen.