1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Minorating.com (drivers thread)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Minolin, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

im not sure about this, as part of a system maybe but not as a replacement. it is an incentive not to qualify for a start. it would be an issue for aliens who tend to lead by quite a way. it would make it even more frustrating when you get stuck behind those overly aggresive people who weave around trying to defend a few seconds off your pace and it could make people even more eager to try and overtake at all cost, to improve their grade rather than picking a safe way passed the car infront. plus, as mentioned before the main benefit of MR is to provide more clean and fair racing and that means people racing at and above their grade, this could push even more people to race with grades lower than their own as they would get more of an MR boost from lower grade drivers.

2. brioche

brioche Racer

I don't think so since only clean passes count and also if one sees somebody waving and being funny, he shouldn't force the overtake anyway until it's safe to do so (if it was real he'd be playing with his life).

Anyway the point here is that contacts occur because of overtakes (can you think about any other acceptable justification for a car touching another?) and only clean passes can prove that the driver learnt from previous contacts.
    Waiting the whole race before making a pass in not an excuse for making a dirty pass and proves no skill.

Also it's against the nature of real motorsport. IRL every driver tries to minimize the time he drives close to another one.
    That's what strategies are for.
    Longer fights occur when drivers have similar potential but that doesn't make them cleaner.

The actual rating system goes in the opposite direction which is a clear invite for more contacts especially where there are grades that lack the skill to do close racing.

Also as the last part of my post I suggested that there is no shame in running solitary races in front and that this should not be penalized. If faster drivers also join "slower" servers, some clever people over there will have the chance to observe them, interact and possibly learn something, so you'll also get more drivers in A-B only servers in the future (A-B drivers don't grow on trees but on ABCN servers ;)).

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  3. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Only if you know too much about it. I always said "ignore the system and do your best". You should drive as realistic and competative as you can, inside the common racing rules.
    MR would work in the background then.

The more you know about MR the more incentives are there to obey the system's rules - and that's a bad incentive. But I don't see a way out, aside from hiding the information.

Sean likes this.
  4. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

im sorry but i dont really understand most of your post but i'll reply to the bit in bold. even this one im not sure if i get what you mean, if there is a c0llision when you try to overtake someone either 1 or both of the drivers are at fault... sometimes just considered a racing incident, other times 1 driver definitely to blame. i dont see how it is much different to someone messing up their braking and hitting car infront, tagging a car that has spun in front of them, missjudging the opponent in front and being caught out by the difference in speed you carry around a corner or into a braking zone or any number of other ways 2 or more cars come together, its always all, some or 1 of the drivers at fault isnt it?

5. martcerv

martcerv Alien

You may have 2 drivers very close in pace with a track that is very hard to pass on, for example our next league race is jap pack cars at Tsukuba and honestly in 17 laps it may not be easy to pass some people even if your within .5 all race and not actually being held up. I think if you can drive flat out and stay real close to another car it actually says more about how good someone is in traffic then the person that makes a few basic passes over drivers much slower then they are. I had a few 10 lap practice races with a few guys and one in the same car as me we were lapping within .1 of each other all race and gap never got above .5 yet there was no pass made. We were side by side multiple times but its just not a track your going to pass another good driver running a close pace in the same car unless they make an error.

I could jump into an ABCN server start last and make up 24 spots in 2 laps while only really needing to pass 1 or 2 people as most of them would be either off track or so slow that they arent a challenge. Now I think battling someone for 10 or 20 minutes within 1 car length with no contact say more about ability in traffic then passing 23 people that are 5 or more seconds off the pace. :D You could possibly even make 80 passes in 10 laps there if you count all the people you lap or pass as they escape to pits and restart. These passes are all fairly meaningless just like for me it would be racing in such a server but I wont go there again.

After_Midnight likes this.
  6. brioche

brioche Racer

That's honest politicians' thought: hide the truth from people to make them do the right thing (then there are also cheating politicians' thoughts but those are out of the scope of this post :D).

However it never works.

The best strategy is always to create systems that people can understand and relate to. The goal of a good system is not to force people to do the right thing but to have them choose to do so.

In our case, if it was based on safe passes people would understand that touching another car is always bad no matter what. Safe passing is the only thing that can make it right.

@Andy There is no difference regarding blame between my suggestion and Minolin's actual rating. In both case the blame is on both cars involved in a contact. I was just suggesting to shift the rating from close driving to overtakes because that's the whole point to all this and in my opinion it's better to directly measure this than the amount of kms a driver drives close to another.

7. martcerv

martcerv Alien

You are free to make your own system then we can have more options. ;)

Hagen likes this.
  8. brioche

brioche Racer

The only pass that I would count is the one against people that drive the full race length and do not disconnect or respawn.
    People that are out of track on the first lap or crashed wouldn't count as they would most likely not finish the race.

Also a wrecker with decent skills could easily join a server and drive the whole race close to a player with a slower pace.
    As you see that same argument you are making against passes goes well against the actual system too.

The fact that you, clearly an A-B driver, can easily achieve A-B rank with passes based rating is hardly a bad thing (as designed :D!).
    The point is can a wrecker do the same
    and clean pass the whole field and finish the race?

The point here is that safe passes vs dirty passes for me is the most interesting statistic here to know if a driver is dirty or clean.

Anyway mine was just a suggestion, don't want to start a debate :).

9. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

fair enough. i think i much prefer the idea of close racing not overtakes giving a positive rating for all the reasons listed above. lets leave it to Minolin (and make our suggestions to him when we think it will help) i want to stop spamming my opinion in Minolins thread :/ (for a while atleast :p)

brioche and After_Midnight like this.
  10. martcerv

martcerv Alien

There is already code to stop someone simply driving slowly with someone else. Do you really think a wrecker could drive closely to someone anyway. You think they will do this for 500km just to simply have one go in an AB server cause carnage then spend 500km slowly following people again to repeat once a month. The good thing about such a situation actually occuring would be that AB servers are getting proper use and even wreckers want to get in to them. Atm most AB rated people are more worried about being B grade not A then actually joining an AB server.

Your giving wreckers too much credit. The entire point I think of minorating is to identify who can drive close to others without excessive contact. Then these people can join servers where only other people that can do the same can have some mp fun without needing to deal with people that cant.

Even with your idea of a system it still would make no difference if you identified all the people that can pass clean and those that cant. And in the end they all end up in the same servers where nothing has actually changed. That is pretty much what is happening with most here. I think once a month @Minolin pulls out this.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The system just identifies good and poor drivers in traffic and then has levels of whitelist where people can choose how crappy the field they want to race can get. Its really that simple and I thought Idiot proof. :oops:

I will also stop spammin Minolins thread and go get out my stress reduction kit now. :D

liakjim, TDS and After_Midnight like this.
  11. QC.

QC. Gamer

Happy Birthday Minorating :)
    and of course, Thankyou Minolin!!!

TDS, V8_KB, Minolin and 2 others like this.
  12. Minolin

Well, we disagree on the part if it works. And I'm not sure if you aren't aiming at very specific drivers. You need a system that works for casuals, newbies and rookies as well as for wreckers and pro drivers.
    Most of them don't have a clue what strategy you are talking about ^^ And most of us want dense pack racing, to be honest. So I don't really see too much wrong here.

Your approach could be interesting to split A and B drivers, though. But it's not really a solid base to determine if somebody is capable of racing clean enough to be allowed to enter a MR-ABC server (for example) - and that's the point.

And what do we do with all the casuals and newbies that don't manage a pass? They might have had a hard time not to do something stupid while not driving alone (=are statistically in danger at all). MR should honor this effort.

In my definition this isn't a wrecker. The W grade is for the guys who just manage to park behind Eau Rouge and wait for the pack, maximising damage.
    If somebody is able to keep up even with slow guys for some time, his driving capabilities are waaaay beyond W. There are still rough guys who can race, but are ruthless or inable not to shoot out people at any given brakepoint. But their CP/Attack ratio will be bad enough for Grade D (where they belong).

No, but can a N? Or C? Hell we are glad when they complete a race. And happy when they complete a race without losing it.
    It looks like you are focusing on the upper 15%, and here you may be 100% correct. But I'm not interested investing work here, in reality there is no difference between A and B. My efforts will go to the Lobby for better transparency and join decisions, and for accident analysis that allow sharper but fairer grades with educational advantages.

Ace Pumpkin, TDS, V8_KB and 2 others like this.
  13. I am not even going to bother quoting comments here, because my response would be like a broken record. All I will say is that good drivers should be able to drive wherever they want.

14. TDS

TDS Alien

BTW, HB MINORATING :)
    large.jpg

15. martcerv

martcerv Alien

They can unless someone sets servers for CDWN in most cases AB can join any MR server. ;)

Just no point complaining if you get hit by bad drivers in servers they can also get into. ;):D

16. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

hmmm it would be good if MR only allows a mix of ABC. CDN & DWN. id like to go even further and seperate AB but i would be worried it would have a negative effect rather than the desired one. i have never thought about disallowing higher grades before :p does it work? (i know Minolin mentioned see quote below with regards to limiting grade mix but i never thought about limiting higher grades from the DWN servers.) if people want to race with everyone they can do it on open servers.

17. martcerv

martcerv Alien

MR filters simply by whatever grades are in auth. To test if auth is working I simply set it to W and try to get in, I also use this test to test the MR whitelist used for our league practice servers. Test W get auth rejected add whitelist and get in so it all works.

I think I tried A only and B only but it didnt work. :D But I cant see any current reason seperate AB as I cant even fill an AB here unless its with tumbleweed.

I really wouldnt want to have a DWN server but could see a reason to have W or D only for a rehab server. Id love to see a full W server too but I dont think much rehab wouod be going on in there just all digging deeper graves.

Andy-R likes this.
  18. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

I didn't mean this as in "implement this now!".

I'm just curious, because I really do have the suspicion that some ABC servers allow for better racing than others.
    Not only based on car/track, but also because they have their regulars.

But it's not really important to do this.
    I think that's the important message. At least for me, it was.
    I've read a lot of posts in this thread about people dropping down to C or even D.
    80 CP in 1000 km means 12.5 km/CP and I'm way above that.
    So for myself, I don't need to worry and can focus on the racing. ;)
    That's also an important point. Many people only focus on their own race and sometimes you've got the feeling that they actually wish that nobody was their getting involved with them
    Sometimes they might actually be better off driving alone or against the AI.

I actually also like the communicative part in MP racing. Not always, but most of the time.
    Sometimes I spectate for a race or a quali session and give tips to the people I saw driving.
    (Also received tips from others.)
    And if a newcomer finishes the race we should be really happy for him. Even if he is a lap down.
    He could be one of the great sim racers of the future.

Yes, it's still a competition, but it's not about money, it's about fun, so we should ensure that it is fun. ;)
    What would be the point of a DWN server?
    There are exactly two effects:
    - Nobody (or only few) is going to join, so it's a waste of money running the server
    - Newbies joining a server that might hold a wrecker is driven away from online MP racing, even if he might like it

Apart from that, I think it is good that at least on some servers AB people get involved with C and possibly D grade people.
    Some of the might be ignorant, but there are quite a few that are willing to learn and we should support those.

Minolin likes this.
  19. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

i mean that if Minolin is going to limit to certain tags, like this mix of grades disallowing ABCND>
    he could make it so you cant set up a server with ABCD only allowing a mixture of C,D,W & N grades and disallowing AB drivers from joining servers with grades D and below (achieved by limiting the grades allowed to run together server side)

in short, you could force people to do what they should be doing anyway (whilst on MR servers) maybe N should be allowed to race with the AB guys as well i dont know but i hadnt considered the possibility of blocking higher grades before

millionth edit: i might of quoted the wrong post but iirc Minolin suggested in a previous post that tags had to be in the correct format and also that certain mix of grades would not be allowed? or atleast not be displayed in the MR lobby.

im not so sure, i quite like the idea of it being a progression. you get your next licence and get promoted to the next grade set. i think C should be on both sides, as in allowed to race with AB and allowed to race with DNW. the only grade im not sure about is N... it is only 40km, if MR was official i think N only servers would be good, not allowing N to race with any other grades. as it is i think they should atleast be allowed to race with C or N grade servers should have to have something in the title like "licence acquisition"

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  20. Minolin

Hell no :D

Although I'm aware that it is a mess today, I'd always allow ABs to drive with CDW and ESPECIALLY with Ns.
    We can't just drop guys who don't already know everything, and create a cool little elitist society that slowly dies. On the contrary, I'm glad of every guy we can add to the list of clean racers.

But I have to admit that the ABs currently don't go on an ABN server (lol if there was one) to help and teach. Instead they are going there because 23/24.

Berniyh, TDS and tabis like this.