1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Reporting of a user using a Pirated version of Assetto Corsa

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Bekim, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistery

mistery Hardcore Simmer

Y'know, I too live in a low income country but that is not really an excuse, I think. This is a sim, it does not generate money for most users, which means it is only a hobby/passtime/luxury. It is not food, it is not rent, nor bills. You can live without it. What, if you can't afford a car, you just steal your neighbour's?

2. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

They *are* thieves. I don't think you get that. The point he made about going into EB games and stealing a game, then coming back and buying it later cuz he liked it, expecting to be excused is precisely the same scenario and in no world would somebody get away with that and there's no reason people should be excused for it here.

That said, a demo wouldn't be a bad idea at some point. Then people truly would have no excuse for pirating except for 'I wanted something but I didn't want to pay for it' - ie stealing.

Juergen Herrmann likes this.
  3. Juergen Herrmann

Juergen Herrmann Simracer

You`re completly right. The problem is, to build a demo version during beta phase, especialy for a small company like Kunos. But maybe they offer a demo version after v1.0...we shall see.

4. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

Definitely, which is why I said 'at some point'. Right now certainly isn't the best time to prioritize that.

And more than giving pirates no excuses, it could help sell them a lot of copies. Most racing sims tend to have demos and I know damn well that plenty of people would try AC for a day and love it.

Juergen Herrmann likes this.
  5. Horus

Horus Alien

Why release a Demo, when in beta? Kunos will release a demo just like with NKPro - one car one track I expect. :)

6. plaid

plaid Alien

I dont think its right to pirate things, but with all the things goin wrong in the world, its nothing I can be angry about.
    And if a guy in america from a lowincome family or a poor kid in europe pirates a game, who couldnt efford it anyway, I wouldnt make a fuzz about it.

7. martcerv

martcerv Alien

The thing with demo's is that people that pirate still wouldn't bother with demo's you need to see it realistically from the point of view of someone that will pirate anyway. Why would they get a more limited demo then a full pirated version even if it will have some limitations on them.

I don't condone piracy and especially not of software that you actually really like and buy fairly expensive hardware to play it. If you think of guys using a FFB wheel, triple screens and high end GPU's, if these guys spend 1000's of dollars on their hardware but refuse to pay $40 for the software that gets the most out of their system they really are quite silly. Fairly simple reason is that if the developers don't make enough money to make it worth their time and effort they simply wont develop it.

If there is a good user base and profits are fair then a good developer will give back to the community and try make the best software they can, if it does really well it gives them the chance to expand. Some of the bigger devs put profits ahead of user's and that's why I like the smaller guys making the more niche software such as Kunos. If the majority of people pirated their software and sales are very poor that would be the end and not many others would bother to invest time and money they don't get fairly paid for.

Im sure many people here want fair pay for any work they do and if you dont make enough to make your job worthwhile then you will obviously do something else. If this were to happen especially for us simmers then all the expensive hardware we have bought will be completely useless if there is nothing worthwhile to use it on, the odds that someone will make a more niche product that you actually are hoping for is unlikely if they will be making a loss.

I may be considered a fanboy of AC by a few but I buy most racing sim software as I can afford to and even if something isnt exactly that I want, the more money the devs make (especially the smaller indy type guys) the more likely they will make something I actually want to use down the road. If none of them make any money then we will be stuck with the large devs that tend to be less likely to cater to the sim crowd, they target only the general gamers for a quick buck. As in EA, Codies etc who I no longer will buy software from as they are pretty much trying to nickle and dime customers to levels that are a joke. While also producing software that really doesnt do what I want out of a racing game. I wouldnt even waste my time pirating their software but will try their demos if they have one but recent efforts have been very short tests and quick uninstalls from the large games publishers.

Popeye, Horus and Wealthysoup like this.
  8. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

Hypothetically, if your neighbour owned a *insert name of your favourite car here*, and if technology was at the stage where you could make a copy of your neighbours car for free, would you? Of course if there is a specific law which prohibits you from doing so you would answer no, but what if it wasn't illegal?

It's only recently that legislation has changed to make it a specific offence in most civilized countries around the world, and realistically it's very difficult to prove beyond all reasonable doubt right now.

If you look at the reasons why legislation was changed then it will surely open your eyes, and no I don't wear a tin foil hat. The irony is, piracy in some corners of the digital market, has actually reached slightly higher levels since legislation was passed, most likely due to the amount of publicity it received. So who's the winner?

For the record, I don't condone piracy as I've stated in another thread. I will gladly support development teams such as Kunos, who listen to their customers and try to give them what they want. I want to see them succeed as much as anyone, and a way I can contribute to that is to hand over my cash for their products.

JakeDunc, mistery, TCLF and 1 other person like this.
  9. Horus

Horus Alien

After all is said and done, as long as they cannot get on the servers (when they are running) everything is good. :)

bigbawmcgraw likes this.
  10. McNappa

McNappa Simracer

Pirates will always pirate...simple.
    I myself played assetto first on a pirated copy round a friends house...then went home and bought the game straight off steam. If my friend had not got a copy maybe I would of never discovered this absolute gem of a sim.
    You should also do some REAL research on piracy and see how it in no way affects sales...in fact sales of all media increases every year.
    I have downloaded loads of pirated games myself to try before I buy. If it's good I buy it if it's crap I delete it...
    A lot of the problem now is that devs don't put a decent demo of their game out there for people to get a feel for their game...would you buy an album without hearing some of the tracks first...no
    Origin has introduced a money back scheme so you can try a game and if it's poop you get fully refunded, maybe steam should introduce such a scheme.

theeMitchi and TCLF like this.
  11. Horus

Horus Alien

It has been proven that pirating does not affect sales in a negative way with CD's. When Napster was giving away music, CD sales went up by a good amount, I do not see a problem if they can only get their buzz offline, as most thieves of sim/racing games are total psychopaths once they get online - not all joy riders, as I have raced some skidrows in race07 and they are fair racers, still I would try my best to get them to purchase the software.

For the First Time Since Napster, Music Sales Are Growing

McNappa likes this.