1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic Screen tear & frame rate drops ?

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by Bibbles, Sep 8, 2016.

1. TitzonToast

TitzonToast Simracer

I see that horizontal pass you mentioned a lot. And I've just been hotlapping the whole time I've had the game.
    My rig is put away for the night so I can't post a video unfortunately.

2. danowat

danowat Hardcore Simmer

Yup, that's pretty much what I see, lots of screen tearing.

Look at the trees in the background when you are taking slow corners, that's screen tear.

djm99 likes this.
  3. Odbball

Odbball Racer

ive had to watch these videos a few times even spot the screen tearing.

Is this what you are All up in arms about - the trees tear a little bit?
    When whizzing around at over a hundred mph i don't get chance to look at the trees.

Perhaps because I grew up with a zx spectrum, i am simply amazed at what games I can now play at home relatively cheaply.

2xplor, Skemekos123 and Tomcul like this.
  4. danowat

danowat Hardcore Simmer

Well, yes, the technicality behind screen tearing means the game is struggling to keep the framerate up, so a section of the frame hasn't fully drawn before the next frame is loaded.
    While it may look minor to some, it's actually very distracting, because your eye is drawn away from what should be your focal point to where the tearing is occurring.
    Some people can even see this as the game stuttering.
    You shouldn't really accept these performance issues, and certainly shouldn't look down on those who don't.
    This kind of thing shouldn't really be defended at all, the development team have obviously thought the matter was important enough to spend time fixing it

5. Odbball

Odbball Racer

im not looking down on anyone.
    Just a little surprised at people's level of response to what I perceive as a relatively minor issue. My perception.

Of course I'd like to see it eradicated, along with a more stable fps.

I'm open to understanding we all prioritise different values.

Skemekos123, Tomcul and Bibbles like this.
  6. TitzonToast

TitzonToast Simracer

Those videos don't represent what I'm seeing on my my screen at all man, I couldn't give a sheet about the trees either I can assure you!
    I'll make it my business to record a video of just my car on a hotlap later on and I'll post it here.
    You'll see for yourself then what the problem is.
    Rest assured though, it's definitely a problem, Kunos themselves have acknowledged it and have said that they have fixed it for us.

Exup likes this.
  7. Tomcul

Tomcul Hardcore Simmer

Wow I must say I'm quite shocked to learn this is what all the noise is about..

Skemekos123 and Odbball like this.
  8. ppbucko

ppbucko Hardcore Simmer

Its just easier to spot when looking at the trees on these vids, when your actually playing it, you get it in every corner a dip in frame rate under braking, the bigger the dip the more cars are on screen. I must admit it doesn't look that bad in video compared to when your actually playing it, weather the record that on system smooths out the footage on xbox i don't know I'm not a expert. If you say xbox record that while racing, the game stutters to a near stop. which is obviously a bottle neck somewhere in the system.

TitzonToast likes this.
  9. Mauler_77

Mauler_77 Racer

It's different and more noticeable when, for example, you're having a close battle with a car or two and you can see their bodywork kind of split in two where the frame has torn. Gives the impression that objects aren't solid and breaks the immersion. Imagine the top half of a car not being lined up with the bottom half, right in front of you as you're driving. For me it's worse than the LOD issues that a lot of racing games have where bodywork details pop up in front of you (and yes, this game has it, pCARS has it worse, and even Forza used to have it).

The trees don't bother me a lot, but when cars around you are tearing it's another matter. They said they've sorted it now so these kind of debates will hopefully have no need to exist in future.

TitzonToast likes this.
  10. ppbucko

ppbucko Hardcore Simmer

it is weird though how some gamers don't get it, some do, some have bad tear others bad fps. we have the same systems, why one xbox reports issues that another doesn't get is strange. Same things were getting reported in p cars when that came out as well. How do devs find the answers when one xbox has a issue and another doesn't.

11. Tomcul

Tomcul Hardcore Simmer

I have nothing further to add. I'm amazed at that..
    There's people who's game plays exactly as mine does and they say it's not good enough and very distracting???

There was threads here titled shocked and disappointed. There was talk of headaches and sore eyes? All because of tear or framerate.
    One guy found a family left devastated after playing this game and started a thread to give us food for thought.. Theres been talk of class action lawsuits??

If your game runs like mine you have no reason to complain it's certainly playable until its patched.

12. Mauler_77

Mauler_77 Racer

My game is entirely playable, I have way less issues than I've seen reported and thankfully the tearing I can't even really notice as I'm driving unless I really look for it. I was quite worried after seeing all the preview videos a few weeks ago, so in that regard I'm very happy. I've not even encountered the bug where AI cars pit for no reason.

TBH it's the random juddering/stuttering that I notice the most, but as I said, I'm happy with the game as it stands yet eagerly await the performance patch that's incoming.

Skemekos123 and Tomcul like this.
  13. Skemekos123

Skemekos123 Racer

Looking at the trees is the only time I see frame rate issues and minor screen tearing. It's weird. It's as if everything on the road is smooth 60fps and no screen tearing, but the outside of the road is like 10 - 20fps or something. But as I said before, I only notice it when I purposely look for it, and I rarely have time to look at trees when I'm racing, so it's not a problem for me. Anyone else notice the same thing?

14. TitzonToast

TitzonToast Simracer

What are you rambling on about?
    Do you think people are making this up?
    My game stutters like a mofo but I keep plugging away because I love the physics. Kunos themselves have acknowledged the fact that the tearing and fps drops exist.
    If your game plays smoothly and doesn't tear that's great, happy days for you.

Why can't you accept the fact that lots of players are reporting the same symptoms?

EDIT.

ppbucko and BBernes like this.
  15. Jamesgrainge

Jamesgrainge Gamer

Can I just clear something up? About a week after release I deleted and reinstalled my game plus around a 350mb update. Was that a patch, since then the FPS has been perfect online for me.

16. Mauler_77

Mauler_77 Racer

If you're on xbox then yes there was a small patch for you.

17. IckyJackx

IckyJackx Rookie

The tearing I see on my PS4 is pretty severe by today's standards. I've seen similar screen tearing patched out of new PS4 games in the past, so I remain hopeful. I do not get any noticeable tearing on the PC.

18. Kaaarp

Kaaarp Racer

We don't all see in exactly the same way; younger eyes (and brains) are more likely to be distracted by screen tear and also your driving level can have an impact. If all your attention is taken up by driving you won't have enough spare capacity to notice what's happening in the periphery.

Distance from and the size of your screen will presumably have an effect too.

I'm hoping the next generation will have locked in frame rates, if you can't maintain 60 fps at 1080p your game doesn't get released. You know, quality control.

19. abies

abies Rookie

Hi

I have the problem that acceleration "stalls" - does not accelerate normally on my PS4. Don't know where else to post !!!

Please help !!!!