1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Sense of speed....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by MickyMutton, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Wolfstriked

Wolfstriked Gamer

^Sadly that will be commonplace.

2. antz360

antz360 Gamer

I find using bumper cam feels much better. More visibility + more speed

magicaldog likes this.
  3. paulieGTR

paulieGTR Alien

But how many people spend thousands on a rig and or motion cockpit to sit looking from the bumper.o_O
    Sitting with triples here and the sense of speed is pretty good.
    Although, i do see where people are coming from when they talk about the "low speed scenario".

Racing on a track and driving down a street/road where you have buildings passing by is completely different to your senses.
    Here in the UK, the roads are not wide like a race track, they are narrow and so objects can fly by.

Taking my bike for a spin and hitting the motorway @70mph feels ok @first, but the longer you sit @70mph the more meh it feels.
    Then taking it up past say 100mph doesn't feel that much faster, your only reference points are the lamp posts and white line lane markings that meet you quicker.

Going round Monza66 i feel a greater sense of speed because of the trees, Imola also feels good not so much because the track is narrow, but because there's less runoff area.

People sitting "rolling their eyes" because others are saying... go and get triples, get better equipment or build a dedicated rig could
    well be the same people who'll be sitting rolling their eyes next year sitting with the same HW, same setup and the same complaints.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    Toykilla! likes this.
  4. Toykilla!

Toykilla! Racer

Word!

Last Night i driven only the standart F40 with my Motionrig to test my new Fanatec CSS SQ. Im changing the Tracks every Hour and had so mutch fun with my Dreamcar and this great Shifter. Next Time i make a new Video :D

Mit dem drecks S4 von Samsung verschickt...

paulieGTR likes this.
  5. dubbsta78

dubbsta78 Racer

sense of speed (sos) feels fine to me especially after unchecking lock to horizon maxed out all 3 gforces and maxed out camera shake.
    2 more things help, lowering fov is supposed to make it feel slower so raising feels faster, other thing is playing in the dark blocks out everything but the monitor letting you focus on the game and not on everything thats not moving around you...kinda kills the illusion, i aslo put my gain up making it feel harder to control that could help too

6. PLebre

PLebre Hardcore Simmer

I feel AC sence of speed more realistic than other Sim, not to mention arcade Racing games.
    I think all depends on setup, a narrow field of view more sence of speed. Don't know how it goes for triple screens, but i am imagening that a greater angle between the screens makes a narrow FOV=more sence of speed and smaller angle a wide FOV=less sence of speed. But it is not all, if your running a wide track like Silverstone you will have less s. of speed than at Monaco, like in reality, also if going at 100kmh on a highway in a FIAT UNO or an BMW serie 5 at the same speed you also have a diferent s. of speed.
    The bluriness of the track texture and objects can give a fake s. of speed.
    The thing ,I would like to see, is the possibility to use a greater scale on the cockpit shaking effects, not everyone have the possibility to own a montion rig.
    So for those you are looking for more sence of speed (single screen) try a narrow FOV like 45° and then adjust the seat position. But don't worry by the time you be Racing hard you not have time to think about the sence of speed.

7. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Maybe the best solution for that is to drive faster ;)

8. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Sense of speed even in real life will be very dependant on the car and track. Drive a slower car on a big grand prix track it will appear very slow. Then drive the smaller car on a smaller track and it will feel much faster then drive a powerful beast on a small tight track and it will feel crazy fast. Same as driving on real roads do 120kmh on an open freeway the same speed on a narrow street and it will feel twice as fast.

You can keep it real as in AC with proper setup fov, here using triples or a rift will be much better then a single screen which has no peripheral vision.

The other option is to fake it with fake fov, image distortion, shakes or adding more fake objects to the track surrounds.

I prefer the real fov and setup even on a single screen, will get a rift when it comes out. I dont have an issue with this and uderstand that a relatively small single screen will always have a slower sense of speed but rather that and good corner visibility then faking it and distorting my iew of the virtual world.

9. Anuj

Anuj Racer

Although many people might not agree, implementing better motion blur in cockpit view would help greatly with the sense of speed. Other Sims like pcars, rfactor2 have subtle motion blur due to which people think that they give a better sense of speed than AC.

10. martcerv

martcerv Alien

RF2 has no motion Blur at all so your wrong there, motion blurring if done properly will smooth out motion as in a slower shutter speed on a camera. Some games mostly the arcade ones do lots of funky things with blurs and dynamic view distortion and FOV adjustments to make it look faster then it is. But in a sim you want things to be realistic and driving a real car will give much better sense of speed due to actual physical motion and full peripheral vision it still doesn't look stupidly fast to drive around a track in a street car. On a big track with even a pretty powerful street car it looks rather slow.

In order to keep the actual view realistic and get a better sense of speed the only option is with hardware, so triple screens are a starting point and a full motion sim will take that to another level. The Oculus rift will be ideal if they get the res up as its both a very wide FOV screen giving good peripheral vision and also in stereoscopic 3D so you get a better sense of depth and objects coming towards you.

If you dont go the hardware route then the only way is cheating the view point which has other negatives, I really dont have much trouble getting a good sense of speed out of a single 27 inch screen. In sims you pretty much just need to memories brake points but same in the real world so it shouldn't be as big an issue as some seem to find it. Using an accurate FOV setting for my setup feels quite natural and I can brake and turn in fine, many just simpy over drive into turns and have issues with understeer. This is partially due to the limited sense of speed on a single 2D monitor setup but still mostly due to poor driving I think. It shouldn't be too hard to make adjustments to your driving even if you feel the SOS is a bit off, its far from impossible to deal with the limited feedback a typical basic home sim setup has.

Those that want some silly arcade exaggerated sense of speed even driving slower cars maybe are looking for an arcade game rather then a realistic simulator.

11. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I though there was talk of the customer OR having a forward facing mini camera so you'd be able to toggle between normal and in game view.

Problem solved.

martcerv likes this.
  12. Anuj

Anuj Racer

I agree that it is an arcadey feature, though I think a small amount of MB in the cockpit view wouldn't hurt the experience.
    I'm not talking some crazy motion blur like NFS or even Pcars for that matter but a small amount (say around 1 in the game settings)
    I will never use a negative FOV just for the sense of speed and ruin my driving experience by not being able to see stuff from a distance.
    And you have all the liberty to turn motion blur off completely. :)

Sent from my HTC

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  13. metalnwood

metalnwood Simracer

For the most part I have only been racing the open wheelers and not really having any trouble, the sense of sped has been OK but the seating position is quite different and the sense of speed should be enhanced in an open wheeler anyway.

I do have trouble when trying most other cars I am not familiar with. Missing corners because I am going way to fast but on checking the speed I can hardly believe I am going that fast when it feels to be only half of that on track.

Probably, for me the lack of tin roof racing compared to open top.

14. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Raising seat position does seem to make difference, it can make it difficult to use the mirrors and instruments though.

I tend to have the gear and speed widget on, a glance at my speed flags how fast I'm actually going in a new car/track combo. I do agree that 60mph in the sim feels like 20mph in rl though, wether VR will truly fix this is something for the future.

15. paulieGTR

paulieGTR Alien

Hmmm...
    Doing 50mph down silverstone pitlane with triples seems fine here. :)

Simon Roberts likes this.
  16. Simon Roberts

Simon Roberts Simracer

Yeah it's same for me on triples, no issues with sense of speed.

paulieGTR likes this.
  17. paulieGTR

paulieGTR Alien

Monza66 in the Lotus49...

Everything's whizzing by, not just in periferal neither.
    Same with BMW Gra on modern Monza, coming into the braking zones is... woohoo.

I think the sense of speed is really pretty good overall, considering it's still early and the amount of load getting pushed around/processed by our GPU's.
    The difference i'm now starting to see with AC compared to some other sims is, it's like running GPL @60fps(version.2) for the first time again.

An absolute blast.!! :)
    Can't wait for all the old GPL'ers to come across, if they haven't already.
    Sooo looking forward to racing with classic race/road cars on the old tracks.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  18. plaid

plaid Alien

Im struggling with a single screen between a realistic FOV, which feels real/immersive and helps to drive right and a wider one cause there is no sense of speed elsewise and it isnt fun if you got the sense like you driving a shoppingcart which I can do in a supermarket (with ultrarealistic physics!).

Drivingwise is important, if you dont (or want to) remember every breaking point, which is often a part of the appeal of rallye-tracks.

The real deal seems to be a Triple but I dont want to spent so much money, just for one game (I focus on 1 racing-game usually).
    Still I changing the FOV often cause of the different advantages. :(

Anyhow as long as I refuse to buy 3 screens I have to live with it.
    But for those feauteres that increase the speedfeeling could be a compromise.

Maybe I could put the washing machine under my seat and make the rotation-speed depending on the speed in AC. :D

19. I'm on single screen and have no issues at all with the sense of speed.....I can't run using the "correct" FOV because it feels like I have my nose up against the windshield and who drives like that?

I tried to get my wife to shake my desk chair but she has some serious imput lag and it ruined the experience. :D

20. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Sounds like a hardware issue to me you may need to replace with with a newer model that has less input lag. :)

nivadepi, xyr, Anuj and 2 others like this.