1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Sense of speed....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by MickyMutton, Dec 6, 2013.

1. melon

melon Gamer

My 3 cents (3 monitors setup):

- powerful GFX card, that gives stable, fluid FPS with high/very high settings (details matter);
    - turn off 'lock camera to horizon', shakes will give your brain additional information about movement;
    - set your FOV very carefully;

The last one is very important - since most people think bigger FOV values will give more sense of speed, they tend to set values too high. This is all wrong, it causes all the simulation object to appear much smaller than in reality.

Once you set your FOV that scale of the virtual world matches scale of real world - your brain goes 'click!' and suddenly you have totally different sense of scale and speed.

I was shocked that even after a slight adjustment of the FOV (my head distance was too low) the difference is that big. Very immersive, very realistic, fast.

I know this might be problematic for people with small screens or single screens (if you have small and single screen - there's no hope for you;), but I've been tweaking FOV in many sims, for many years now. (AC has the most interactive and intuitive system so far).

2. harryorlsen

harryorlsen Racer

The sense of speed is fine for me, ONLY the FOV - have to free my mind a little - The FOV on my single screen struggles me again since yesterday. Cant find the compromise to going fast laps. I am loosing the fun and this makes me AHHH. Keep calm buddy. With bigger FOV i see more but have bad drivin-feeling (wrong brake points, weird to feel right steering with my wheel in the smaler world - lol- and what is really LOL: i dont had this issues with my gamepad). On the other hand with smaler FOV the world feels more real and the drivin feels much better, BUT i can see less and doin more mistakes. Even with the advantage of trackir i can not compansate the circumstances. Hmmm, the solution options are all bad for my taste...lol.

3. GhettoRice

GhettoRice Racer

Could some of this be solved if kunoz implemented some sort of perspective warp on the edge of the peripheral vision field. like in the sense of a fisheye lense but with this the distortion wouldn't start until far from center and only on the outer edge of your vision, but when speed increases so does that distortion field comes closer to your center view mimicking a higher intense focus I front as speed increases. this could also be done possibly with a motion blur of sorts as we'll.

Not sure if this is how things are done now but it may help with a sense of speed if allowed to be a slider based thing like headbob.

Just a thought, I may be way off base here.

Btw: I have a 27" screen 21" from my face and use a 28-32 degree fov and it feels amazingly immersive and controls great. a slight sos is what I'm lacking but I don't feel it's as bad as most say since I haven't driven a real race car and think I usually forget how the same can happen irl when going into a corner and not realizing the speed one is taking into it.

4. xXxKOKExXx

xXxKOKExXx Simracer

Guys! look this video with a "similar" game FOV, enjoy it! fullscreen!

5. martcerv

martcerv Alien

The image distortion thing you mention is digging deep into the relms of arcade racers. I really dont see any place for that in a sim, if a real driver had such issues with vision they would need to see a doctor and likely make an early retirement if it continued to get so bad at speed.

The head bob slider is already there under g force effects I think its called from memory. This is also an exaggerated effect away from reality but is what you experiance in a real car to a point. I think the default shaking is quite low as some people may get motion sickness if the effect is too strong.

But the tunnel vision effects just arent there at all in reality and that is what is trying to be simulated here so id rather that wasnt included. Once you start adding features like that it will also make driving at speed harder due to poor visibilty and so it normally comes with dumbed down physics to make the cars easier to drive at higher speeds.

Radfahrer, Tim Meuris and alex72 like this.
  6. alex72

alex72 Alien

I thought the same in the beginning, that there was no speed feeling. But the more i drive and compare to real life driving it feels very good in AC. Just try the unofficial JP track and you see its all good. On that track it goes FAST! :)

And in real life (as pointed out several times before) you dont really sense fast speeds that much. Especially not on race tracks as well that are much wider. So i think Kunos nailed the speed feeling very well. You just have to get race games out of your mind when driving AC.

Radfahrer likes this.
  7. xXxKOKExXx

xXxKOKExXx Simracer

In real life you feel the speed by 3d. You "feel" how far is that corner. In a flat screen you dont feel that things. I tried the game using "durovis dive" glasses, and although that is a bit dodgy, it is wonderful riding by joux plane and feel the depth of the road, uphill and downhill, over the trees ..

I hope KUNOS well implemented "oculus rift", because that will be a success

Mogster likes this.
  8. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster Rookie

Hello AC'ers

Im hoping somebody might be able to post some advice for me as Im having problems with getting no power/torque.My revs are showing and the speedometer is showing and working as normal but im driving very very slowly.Im using a Logitech G27 with gear shifter to play and I have had this game working perfectly when I first installed it but I turned off the pc last week for the night booted it up again the next day and this problem began.

It seems to happen with every car/track combination of settings.I have uninstalled and installed 6 times but nothing changed.Ive read about changing the FOV and this may help but this seems like something different as I can barely get above what feels like 20-30mph.I am using 4gb of ram at the moment,could this be the issue that is affecting the speed?My Graphics card is decent and the fact that I have had this game running perfectly last week makes me think I have changed something somewhere.

I hope Ive explained that ok,I have looked and looked for similar threads on this but couldn't see anything.
    Thanks for your help :eek:

9. Horus

Horus Alien

Have you tried the pedal app to see if you are getting a full response from the pedals?

10. Crunch

Crunch Racer

Sense of speed can vary greatly from one car to the next. It seems very difficult to button down the right FoV setting on a single 24" monitor as I've been bouncing back and forth between 50 and 54. It seems largely situation, lower FoV setting can give you a greater sense of lateral movement and detail when going through corners and chicanes, but higher FoV will give a greater sense of speed along straights. As mentioned prior the car type can have a huge impact of this, whereas the low to the ground and high visibility Ferrari 312t might feel fine at 50 FoV, the Mclaren 12C feels like its crawling along. Its very difficult to find a one size fits all setting that allows realistic scale and sense of speed all at once.

Brainspiller likes this.
  11. Horus

Horus Alien

I'm down at 37ยบ but I have my seat most of the way forward. It is quite restrictive but then I have the middle buttons to look left and right and have the angle and speed perfect for racing. It's all personal, yet AC makes it even better with the personal approach with most of these things. One good example is the apps, great idea to have them movable, now if them could only make the silly pin and symbol invisible. :)

Anuj likes this.
  12. dubbsta78

dubbsta78 Racer

big tv. high fov your good

13. Lazybug

Lazybug Simracer

If you dont mind I suggest just playing with whatever options we have now & once v1.0 is finally out then someone will make us the "look to apex" mod so player who like small FOV like you & me can at least see more when doing sharp cornering :)

By the way i like the view shake more for the sense of speed when the car go faster but not sure if the current AC allow me to do that :rolleyes:

14. it's fine. Remember - you're driving down a wide track and there's quite a distance between the track and the surrounding structures, so you inevitably judge your speed using objects that at aren't close to you. this diminishes the sense of speed somewhat.

nivadepi and alex72 like this.
  15. Brainspiller

Brainspiller Rookie

Absolutely true. I had the chance driving a couple of meters on the Sachsenring, Germany when i did a safety training 10 years ago. Even though this track I is mostly for bikes I was amazed how wide it is. Compared to a street it is as wide as a 3 lane highway. Driving feels much slower because everything is much further away than your are used to. Let's see how the sense of speed feels on the Nordschleife, compared to standard race tracks, when it's released.

16. alex72

alex72 Alien

And Trento. Which should come before. And JP now if you cant wait. :)

17. My vote goes to the sense of speed being wrong, compared to the other sims out there, I will explain myself.

First of, I am playing in a 23" screen, 40-45 fov and graphics are mostly on highest settings, fps 60+

I am a new sim racer, started like 1 month prior to AC being released so I wouldn't consider myself prejudiced, because as a result I am not accustomed to other sims.

But of all the sims I tried, they all felt faster than AC in the same fov(calculations were made to match games with vertical fov to games with horizontal fov)
    And when you reach down to 40 fov everything is already slow, and AC was even slower, this is made pretty clear not just from the feeling of speed that I get, but when I drive for the first time on a new track in a new car I really misjudge braking in AC a lot worse than I do in the other sims

Even iracing, which I wasn't particularly a big fan, had the sense of speed sorted pretty nicely.

So either all those other sims have that part wrong or AC.
    Take no hostility from my words, I am a huge fan of AC and I would pretty much like to see it becoming the best sim in the history of man :D

But it feels slower than the rest of the simulators

18. dubbsta78

dubbsta78 Racer

k now play on a 45" or higher tv set it to 62 fov then see the difference. small monitor will not do it unless you have 3, youre probably misjudging because everything is tiny. even if 1:1 scale fov to low will kill the speed and the cam is probably against the windshield... take it to the living room will make a world of a difference

19. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

I like this FOV more

Bailey, Kano, plaid and 1 other person like this.
  20. dubbsta78

dubbsta78 Racer

nice vid feels like im in the car