1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

So, about Blancpain series...

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Salad Fingers, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Salad Fingers

Salad Fingers Simracer

I gotta admit, I've never properly followed Blancpain GT. I don't know the drivers or the teams for the most part. I have skimmed through several races lately and I've got a few questions. Let me start with what I gather so far:

The whole point system has got me confused. Some teams only compete on Endurance, others on both Sprint and Endurance, etc. Then teams might include several cars but then a few of those cars are also a team of their own (???) supported by manufacturers. The official website does a horrible job clearing up the confusion. Clicking on a team from one link gives a different result from clicking it from another. Then you have "Silver Cup" and also "Pro", "Pro-Am" and "Am" drivers. I couldn't find anywhere on the internet any kind of document explaining exactly what's going on.

Then there's the other thing. How does one root for anything in the sport? Can't really root for a manufacturer as there are no manufacturer points. Teams? Teams might compete in the full series, or not. Teams might have more cars and drivers than other teams, making team and driver points completely irrelevant. Maybe just root for car #?

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I find it astonishing how incomplete and badly made the official website is. Been scratching my head for days now, I really want to figure it out but there is no comprehensive information out there.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Ace Pumpkin, Stepy and ZioYuri78 like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions introduction to the Blancpain GT Series - rules and participants Jul 2, 2020
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Blancpain Series Event by ESR-RACE.ORG Jun 20, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Blancpain GT Series TV/Streaming access? Mar 13, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Blancpain GT Series favourites target glory Down Under Feb 8, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Blancpain gt series Desktop (Circuit Paul Ricard) Nov 21, 2018
    ACC General Discussions Blancpain GT Series - Alex Zanardi Oct 25, 2018
    ACC Audio Official music's blancpain gt series Oct 24, 2018
    ACC General Discussions Blancpain gt series Desktop(Nurburgring track) Oct 19, 2018
    ACC General Discussions ACC Desktop round 2 (Blancpain GT Series) Oct 16, 2018
    ACC General Discussions Steering Degrees in Blancpain GT Series Sep 12, 2018
    ACC General Discussions Blancpain GT Series / Discussion topic Mar 12, 2018
    News and Announcements ASSETTO CORSA COMPETIZIONE - Official Blancpain GT Series Game Feb 21, 2018
    Online Leagues / Championships room Blancpain Styled GT3 Championship series 2017 - Simracing.org.uk May 1, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Blancpain GT Series Sprint Cup, Round 4 Budapest Aug 26, 2016
    Screens & Videos Blancpain Endurance Series 2016 @ Paul Ricard -Trackside RAW sounds! Aug 9, 2016

3. Mitch09

Mitch09 Gamer

Im kind of in the same boat; I live in Australia and our primary category is V8 Supercars with F1 being our 2nd category of choice.

Whilst GT3 is slowly getting a following here it does not and will not have the emotional following like the V8s does (and Aust Touring Car Championship did before it).

As far as how it works; my observation is this. There are plenty of teams that compete full time and there are others that dont (im guessing because of funding or interests in other series like VLN, North America GT3 ect).

Ive only started following Blancpain since ACC was announced. I cant help but be a fan of Lamborghini myself; its my go-to in any GT3 race if its available so I suppose it the start of who I follow and getting to know the series better.

Salad Fingers likes this.
  4. Salad Fingers

Salad Fingers Simracer

My issue is that for example, Team A has 5 cars while Team B has 3 cars. So their respective points in the championship are almost meaningless as they can't be compared directly. This gets further confusing with each car having anywhere from 2 to 5 drivers.

It appears that Blancpain, unlike what we are told from its marketing, isn't popular at all. I literally can't find anything of substance online. There are no fan youtube channels dedicated to it, only the official one that has race replays sorted in a very confusing manner. There is a sub-reddit with little over 2k subscribers. The website's "about" and "regulations" sections leave a ton to be desired, and navigating between teams, cars, drivers and results or standings just confuses things more.

I really hope someone at Kunos will take the time and give us a meaningful explanation in-game once it's fully released :)

D.Jankovic likes this.
  5. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Alien

I was thinking couple days back how cool would it be to have YT chanell like Chainbear (that covers F1) but for Blancpain :)
    Started also following Blancpain since ACC got announced watched all the races.. and started noticing some good names and drivers. That i started following and keep track how they drive
    Having strugle who to cheer for since i like Lambo,Audi R8`s,Aston Martin :D all of them

6. Salad Fingers

Salad Fingers Simracer

That'd be amazing, but unfortunately it seems the popularity is just not there yet for people to bother. Also, isn't it a bit weird to support a manufacturer when there is no manufacturer championship and each has a different amount of cars racing?

7. Why would it be weird? Pick which car model/manufacturer you think is coolest and become a fan of the teams that use it.

chksix likes this.
  8. Mitch09

Mitch09 Gamer

There is a dedicated YT channel! GT World! 104k subs.

Streamed live on FB and YT

Eric Rowland and Jack Taylor like this.
  9. Salad Fingers

Salad Fingers Simracer

Because there would be no actual benchmark to really compare them to. Let's say there are 10 MB cars on the grid and 6 Audi. What is there to compare? I mean I understand where you're coming from, but from a competitive standpoint, there needs to be something set in stone to equally access the competitors. Rankings only take into accounts teams and drivers. But it's like a salad, everything mixed in there. Drivers that might only drive endurance, drivers that might share their endurance cars with more drivers than others, etc.

I guess my question is, how the heck does one follow the standings in a meaningful way?

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  10. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

I'll try to shed some light on some aspects.

This is a non-manufacturer series, meaning that on paper all teams are customer teams. Obviously, there are big players for every type of car that have a lot of official backing and bigger budgets, and thus can technically be considered as factory teams. Such teams are GRT, AF Corse, Black Falcon, Manthey, M-Sport, ROWE etc. There are also big teams that are not focused on one manufacturer, such as Emil Frey, AKKA or Attempto, who run a lot of cars but not necessarily of the same manufacturer.
    In contrast, a lot of the pro drivers are contracted by the manufacturers, so that's why you can see a lot of driver migration and also why it's possible for a driver to compete in various teams in a season when they need a stand-in.

The championship consists of two separate cups, Sprint and Endurance, but there is an Overall cup that takes into account the results of all types of races.
    In terms of entries, there are full-season entrants and race-to-race entries who only drive in a select number of races due to either budget or strategic reasons. Usually a few teams concentrate on both seasons, the rest are focused on either Sprint or Endurance, and you see teams who only participate in a few races that are either close to their base or that matter for them for any reason.

The Sprint format comprises two 1-hour races with one mandatory driver and tyre change in a predefined pit window. Two drivers compete in a single car, the grid of R1 and R2 is defined by Q1 and Q2 respectively, with each race started by a different driver. Points are given equally in both races.

The Endurance cup consists of a 3-hour race during the race weekend, except for Paul Ricard (6H) and Spa (24H). 2 to 4 drivers are allowed per car, in the 24H race Pro teams are restricted to 3 drivers only in a single entry, while lower categories can have up to 4. In these events you have mandated maximum stint length and minimum driving time.

The categories, in the order of driver skill, are: Pro, Silver, Pro-Am and Am. The Silver cup is relatively new, it requires all drivers to be silver category, and it is interesting how sometimes it mixes with the Pro field. Amateur drivers have bronze class, and it is also linked to age, so this is how you can have otherwise fast drivers driving in Am or Pro-Am cars, such as Chris Goodwin or Patrese. (And this is why the #188 Garage 58 Mclaren is beating everyone in the category). The driver lineup is generally stable in the Sprint Cup but there can be a lot of shuffling in the Endurance cup due to unavailability owing to the drivers participating in other series as well.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  11. Salad Fingers

Salad Fingers Simracer

Thank you so much for the write up @pankykapus ! This will be a good starting point.

12. Jack Taylor

Jack Taylor Gamer

Defining the sprint/endurance as 'cup' rather than a 'championship' manufacturers may back or supply teams/cars but not actually run under the team name, for example: Audi. Although Audi support the teams in a sense by supplying a customer with a homilgated GT3 spec vehicle, in the same way WTCR and national TCR cups work, WRT would run under Belguim club Audi team WRT.
    All cars/teams/drivers are eligible for sprint/endurance cups, depending on budgets i assume. Some teams, like WRT audi run sprint & endurance cups. For the big event like Spa 24HR, team WRT may draft in some proven winning drivers, in a driver line-up of PRO drivers to give them a better chance of making progress during the course of the 24HR event, whereas sprint cup drivers may include an academy driver, for example a euro F3 driver stepping up to PRO-AM GT races. I once heard the AM category being referred to as 'gentleman class' .
    PRO-AM must consist of at least 1 PRO driver and 1 AM driver, the PRO driver in a way is the AM's mentor.
    Any incident on track between PRO and AM is automatically deemed the PRO drivers responsibility, driver breifs always state PRO category drivers must be aware of less experienced drivers on track. Interestingly, PRO drivers are only allowed to give AM or PRO-AM drivers a flash of the headlights once between each corner, as this is deemed as intimidating the less experienced driver on approach to catching lapped traffic, or traffic not racing for position in their category.

This is just judging by my experience of watching all the Blancpain races during the last week or so, im by no means an expert.

13. Salad Fingers

Salad Fingers Simracer

I wonder how all of this would be implemented in Multiplayer. Certainly people could be considered as "Pros" or "Amateurs" based on their rating and join leagues accordingly. Sounds fun.

Ace Pumpkin and Jack Taylor like this.
  14. Jack Taylor

Jack Taylor Gamer

Yes, i also look forward to how this is is implemented within the multiplayer system, or infact single player. Just need to look for a reputable community so i can join up.

15. Salad Fingers

Salad Fingers Simracer

Well, since all of this will be baked into the game I don't think there's a need to join a specific comminity like people have been doing with modded content. In theory we will all be part of the same community and the same ratings etc. A bit like iRacing, but with proper physics :D

Radfahrer and Jack Taylor like this.
  16. Jack Taylor

Jack Taylor Gamer

Well amen to that

17. ozzyneil

ozzyneil Gamer

Interesting stuff , So does this mean driver changes will be instigated in ACC with the AI. Would I be able to have myself and 2 or 3 other fictional names to drive in my team even though I'm still driving, that would be great. I could blame myself for a bad stint, then complement my fictional team mate for a nice one.

Jack Taylor likes this.
  18. Salad Fingers

Salad Fingers Simracer

If you're talking about single player, I think that's very likely how it is going to be.

19. Felge Schneider

Felge Schneider Hardcore Simmer

20. Salad Fingers

Salad Fingers Simracer

I have no idea :)

21. Felge Schneider

Felge Schneider Hardcore Simmer

I think i got it. It's Main Race, which is odd, because it's the only race :-D