1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

The importance of fov

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Cuthere, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Cuthere

Cuthere Racer

Hello, i have more then 500 hours on assetto corsa. After hours of playing I can say that FOV is very important value and shoul be fixed on 50. The FOV is connect with feeling in drive, the perception of the track, the way how turn the wheel. It's very important to have the right POV. I don't think is connected with the size of monitor. I have tv 55" and i was playing with different value of POV. But now i can say that the best value is 50. It's important also to have a right view on street as big as possible, just the top of dashboard and nothing else. Of course i use wheel and i try to allign my wheel with the virtual dashboard. Sorry for my english. I will load some pictures and video to show what i mean.

Attached Files:

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions The importance of being well rested and focused Sep 28, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Rim size/shape importance May 27, 2017
    Bug reports acc fov bug Apr 2, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FFB and FOV Jul 20, 2023
    ACC User Interface Optimal Fov for curved monitor Mar 25, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FOV Jun 14, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FOV Jun 9, 2022
    ACC User Interface Can we get monitor curvature FOV adjustment like iRacing? May 22, 2022
    General modding discussion How to change Onboard FOV with python Mar 12, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions No 2021 Season, no FOV available Feb 24, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Triple screen FOV setting tied to which view ? Feb 15, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions T300RS GT. FOV. Questions Jan 19, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions DEFAULT FOV? Dec 26, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality New FHolger mod - foveated VR Dec 23, 2021
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Trees Dissapearing/Reappearing [Extreme FOV setup] Nov 29, 2021

3. Nekrobob

Nekrobob Hardcore Simmer

4. Cuthere

Cuthere Racer

5. Bailey

Bailey Alien

Interesting.
    ~Bailey

6. bromstarzan

bromstarzan Hardcore Simmer

Having a fixed FOV might be an interesting "optional feature" for hosting servers. But in general, being able to adjust FOV, is a very important tool to allow for everybody's brain the ultimate experience. Personally, I "sit" very close to the dashboard with a rather wide FOV, and I wouldn't want it any other way. So I wouldn't vote on a fixed FOV.

7. Tucker73

Tucker73 Hardcore Simmer

you cant fix the field of view, not everybody has or can achieve the same distance from their monitors...that's the whole point of the thing...

8. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Why would you ever want a fixed fov server setting? Everyone has a different setup and screen size and distance is very important even if one person thinks otherwise. :D

Its not an aid but having the wrong setting will likely make you slower. Forcing others to use the wrong setting is just stupid even if it may be the correct setting for you or your preffered setting. Its the best part of sims with settings so people can set things up as they want.

Maybe you want to force everyone to use only a single screen and keyboard so people with better hardware dont get and "advantage" over those that have the wrong hardware.

9. Cuthere

Cuthere Racer

I just say that Fov influence the perception of track and the way you drive the corners. Different fov make different style in driving. It's not correct. I think that there is just one real value in FOV and it make feel the virtual track as the real track. In term of proportion of objects and length of them. Tomorrow i load a video.

10. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Correct fov will make you see as true to real scale and perspective as possible on your hardware. There is no one figure for everyone which is why its adjustable. Running triple screens you dont even use the fov slider but input the actual dimensions of your setup. Still you may want to adjust these a little to suit.

To you 50 may be the fov you like, it doesnt make it correct for anyone else and is far from what I would be using on my setup. A larger screen will have a larger fov obviously as you do see more and so a smaller screen would have a smaller fov for the same reason.

Try and use a small monitor instead of your 55 inch screen at a fov at 50 and you will notice how screen size and distance effects fov greatly. Not sure how you came to your conclusion, are you trying with a smaller screen or just using the one and found that it only really works with one fov. ;)

11. bromstarzan

bromstarzan Hardcore Simmer

@martcerv: I did defenately not say I wanted a fixed server setting. Just that it might be an interesting option. But I cant see any good reason for it, but some others might.
    I made it clear that I would vote NO and by your post it seems you were referring to me all the way :D.
    Although, forcing clients to, for example, use wheel and 3 pedals worked well in LFS, so I would vote YES on that one. :)

12. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I know you said youd vote no I just found it a silly thing to even suggest. ;)

Forcing wheel isnt a bad server option though id likely just disable kb from getting on my servers. Some guys do ok with pads but I have yet to see one person be able to drive with kb on my servers that dont have aids enabled. Pads are clearly also not faster then a good driver with a wheel but the good pad guys can race as fair as a good wheel driver.

I was being a bit more sarcastic as people wanting to set forced fov likely dont know much about sims. If they were to think people being able to adjust fov is an aid then I see this as dumming down to the lowest level. This would be why they may also want to force everyone to play on a single screen with kb to drop down to the same low level.

13. Cuthere

Cuthere Racer

I don't speak about real scale. Of course bigger screen help in this way. I speak about the real perception of track. Fov do not change the size of things but the way you see the things. And this is the problem. I could use my ipad as monitor but i would use the same fov cause i will see the same thing as in my 55" just much smaller. Of course the problem is to not use too much small screen and not try to solve it with different fov.
    If you see formula one in tv "cockpit view" you see the same on 22" or 55". You do not need change the fov but only your distance from screen. So fov is just one real value. If you have small screen go close to it, if you have bigger screen go more far from screen.

14. WildStyle*

WildStyle* Racer

Last time I checked I use hood view and FOV doesn't change on that one...It gives me the best viewing angle and so I use it. If I had triple monitors I would sure use cockpit view with everything right where it needs to be, but since I don't have that luxury I use whatever works for me best. Ability to fine tune should be there always.

15. martcerv

martcerv Alien

You do realise when people are discussing fov and correct fov this is to try and get the same fov as our eyes would see the scene. This is relative to screen size and distance so you get proper scaling on the screen when your fairly close to it.

Every camera also has a fov setting its called zoom. ;) What you see is what you get on tv but its highly unlikely that it will be a correct fov for you as you want if you were driving from it. It doesnt matter your not driving it just watching so if its a little or way out its not really an issue and you can view video with any zoom level as its not at all the same thing.

All we are trying to do with fov if setting a correct one is to match how we would see the scene with our eyes. This is on a fixed setup screen size and distance from it so you just adjust fov as needed to suit your setup. You can then also adjust it either way from there as correct fov on a small single screen makes it very hard to see anything around you.

Its pretty common knowledge of the benefits of a correct fov setting. There is no fixed value that works for everyone in the same way even if you seem to think it does. There is a good reason why the fov option is added to any decent sim.

So Im sorry to say your wrong in a big way, still the thing is you have the option to use any fov be it right or wrong so its really not an issue in any way. Some may want a corect fov, some one that just works with their setup better others adjust it to get some fake sense of speed. There is no one size fits all but if you think there is then that makes it easier for you at least. ;)

16. What a joke of a thread. Practically everyone has different screen width and seating distance, of course fov needs to be adjustable.

naman, Tundra, SvenUilhoorn and 15 others like this.
  17. Must......resist.....temptation....to comment......

SvenUilhoorn, 4yrton Senn4 and ouvert like this.
  18. ziozeus

ziozeus Racer

oh yes! resist!!! :confused:o_O

19. ouvert

ouvert Alien

if you make servers only for guys sitting cca 74 cm away from 55" screens (or 30cm with23" and so on) :) then it theoretically could work fixed to 50 ... and even than it wouln`d :) of course it depends on size/distance ..

20. Cuthere

Cuthere Racer

Hey guys, first at all this is my opinion. I do not say I'm right or wrong. Just my opinion. Of course in my experience with single monitor 55" I can say that I prefer to have a real correct value in FOV and not see all around car. Of course with 3 monitor it would be much better.
    I really don't understand why, almost all have a "technical"approach to this value. When I spoke about formula 1 in tv, it was an example about the same view but with different size of tv. I know about "zoom" in camera etc.. But I speak about feeling during the drive, and to have the right feeling we should use always the most real value in FOV. Of course anyone can have different taste on it, but I think that FOV is not only a "graphic" option.
    It'is impossible to have the same view as in real cause the humans have binocular view and it's impossible to have the same feeling in TV without aberration (thanks god to oculus rift), but my opinion is to try to have the same feeling as in real. When you drive real car, cause binocular view you see all around you, but in real when you drive your attention is focused only one part of it. This picture make the sense of it.
    Later I will load a video, to show how the correct value in FOV make you feel the real proportion in driving and good sense of speed.

Attached Files:

21. Cuthere

Cuthere Racer

This is first video