1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

The importance of fov

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Cuthere, Feb 9, 2015.

1. ouvert

ouvert Alien

well yes, but for different screen size and distance from it this 'as close to real as possible ' FOV value varies ... for your 55" it is 50° if you are sitting 75cm away from the screen, but for my setup (22" screen 16:10, with 60 cm distance) it is round 28° (in AC) ... so you are right, we should use correct FOV value (unless somebody preffer "incorrect" one) but it is not 50 for all of us :)

27FOV: correct for me:
    27FOV.jpg

50FOV: strechted out, wrong proportions, everything seems to be more far away than it really is = harder to hit apex, i can see things I shouldn`t see without my pheripheral visions ..
    50FOV.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  2. Cuthere

Cuthere Racer

OK, thanks. So at this point we should have a preset connected with screen size?
    I will try new test on this value connected with different size of screen.
    Anyway my opinion is that FOV should be as much as possible close to real value cause it change the realism in simulation in term of perception of distance, size of objects and drive styling.

3. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa Alien

Doh...

TCLF likes this.
  4. ouvert

ouvert Alien

5. WildStyle*

WildStyle* Racer

What? Isn't that depth of field rather than FoV? Field of view should be wider rather than deeper.

6. This is what I was wondering. The difference between 27 degrees and 50 degrees in those two screenshots above doesn't look great enough for it to be FOV.

7. WildStyle*

WildStyle* Racer

Yeah look at the track, that looks like depth change.

8. ouvert

ouvert Alien

it is so much different ..car is in the same possition (stationary, 50m far from chicane, I just changed FOV) .. don`t look at wheel and bonnet of a car .. it is close to "the lens" so the distortion is not that noticable .. take a look at the the proportions, how far objects look like .. (corner markers for example) ... so on the bottom screen it seem like you are pretty far from the corner and you may missjudge the breaking and turning (of course you will eventually adapt to higher FOV) .. imagine it as changing 50mm lens (27 FOV, spot on 27 degrees) to something wider, 24mm (50FOV..in fullframe camer it would give you 53.1 degrees) for example and moving camera closer to the steering wheel.

nope it has nothing to do with depth of field (well optically in real world, DOF will change too .. just by using different "focal length" and being closer to the objects .. but not in game) ...

victor86 likes this.
  9. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Game resolution and ratio is also a factor.

10. MrGiggly

MrGiggly Racer

I'm with Ouvert, his link to project immersion above should help most people with their personal setup.

11. Xenix

Xenix Simracer

Here is a little tip how i set up my fov everytime ;)

I make a good, good time lap (Ghostcar) with default fov (56) then i lower the fov until i cant bet my own Ghost!

Calculation says 36 but i am faster with 42-45

12. Tucker73

Tucker73 Hardcore Simmer

here's how i set up, i enter the monitor size and distance into the calculator.

Hagen and gheeDi like this.
  13. 4yrton Senn4

4yrton Senn4 Simracer

From what I've learned the FOV is only valid for cockpit view and I use hood view most of the time!

However I decided to try www.projectimmersion.com

I ended up with a FOV like 23 and looking at the screen with the cockpit view the rim seemed to be exactly in the right position as my own rim.

Driving whit that FOV was anything but fun because the sense of speed was completely thrown out of the window and the steering sensitivity seemed to have suddenly been completely maxed out making it impossible to drive competitive.

14. ouvert

ouvert Alien

it just needs a little bit time get used to it .. steering sensitivity didn`t changed .. it is just your perception of movement when using lower fov (higher zoom ..) .. try to go few steps above calculated value .. 25 - 26 in your case .. you probably end up beeing faster if you`ll get used to it .. sense of speed is reduced due missing "pheripheral" vision (moving objects along track ...) but that gives you more time to prepare for corner entry, which when it is 50 meters away doesn`t look like 200 m away .. pretty much only downside is that you are losing awardness (buy 2 more screens), lose of sense of speed (not that bad in other sims), and you need to use virtual mirror ...
    ..or just stick with whatever FOV suits you ... is a game :)

MAUZERIS[LT] likes this.
  15. 4yrton Senn4

4yrton Senn4 Simracer

If it feels bad !
    It is bad !

I use hood view most of the time and sometimes cockpit (Open wheelers) with 56 FOV Feels great !

WildStyle* likes this.
  16. michael_

michael_ Simracer

Thing is, as the project immersion site says in small writing at the bottom, if you're sat a few feet away from a single monitor/TV, it doesn't really work. These small FOV values are just going to make it harder to drive. As they say - you'd need to fix your viewing distance and the thing you're viewing first, changing the FOV won't really help.

Eventually Oculus rift will be released and we can buy that and get great immersion. With the OR we'll be sat inside the cockpit seeing the track whichever direction we look in. When that happens cockpit views will make sense. But for a single monitor/TV viewed a few feet away the cockpit view is just wrong whatever FOV you set. Of course some people might like to use it, so fair enough. But it isn't realistic. I much prefer using the hood view. If I had 3 monitors inches from my nose, maybe I'd switch, and I'll definitely switch when VR arrives, but I simply cannot get a realistic cockpit view on my TV setup. All you have you consider is that the wheel in your hand (logitech or whatever) if it's not in the same place as the steering wheel in the virtual car (and in my case, the virtual one is 5' away from me if it's drawn on the screen) then you're not "in the cockpit" you're sat behind it. Which is really no different than the chase cam - you're controlling a virtual puppets arms and legs, using a plastic wheel from several feet behind him.

gheeDi likes this.
  17. ouvert

ouvert Alien

could be .. for me it is it is easier to drive and track, objects, distances looks like they should ..

18. I still don't get why some people think that there is a "correct" FOV setting for racing games. Comparing the view on a 2D monitor screen with the 3D binocular image that you get in the real world is utterly impossible.

19. ouvert

ouvert Alien

chritopher: well it has nothing to do with 2D vs 3D .. just to match game perpective to the real world perspective .. nothing more ..

20. victor86

victor86 Racer

People can use whatever they want, whatever suits them. But there is right and wrong answer to this. When I get into my real car, I can draw an imaginary box in front of me, and I'd see exact same view through it as in AC with low fov.

Nahkamarakatti and Tucker73 like this.