1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

The importance of fov

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Cuthere, Feb 9, 2015.

1. witoldinho

witoldinho Racer

Well yeah, I say go buy whatever you please. Or not.
    Dude, just cut it off already. We know your point very well. Personally I think you are wrong on so many levels that I actually lost track halfway through your posts, but I won't spam this or any other thread telling you what you should or shouldn't do. Enough people covered this topic deeply enough for someone interested in FOV matter to pick his side. Walking with cutted out cardboard vs inverted binoculars.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    victor86 likes this.
  2. What about when your wife shouts up to you that your dinner is ready? Not really an authentic track day experience, now is it? :p

Sleeper Service likes this.
  3. SunBro

SunBro Alien

The only reaason i'm using a fov of 50 degrees, is because i'm(and will be for the near future) a single monitor peasant. If any of you out there have a triple monitor setup and still use a fov greater than 40, what hell are you doing? Set that s**t to 40(or lower) and enjoy. I tried a triple setup(just once though :( )and it felt great with close fov.

Oh and even with 50 degrees, i still move my seat closer for some cars. Can't really understand people who use 60 fov. Tried it, was awful.

4. HONDAHOLIC

HONDAHOLIC Gamer

@Cuthere: so I am cheating with a FOV of 43 on a 27" screen?

5. victor86

victor86 Racer

So having 3 monitors is good, but taking away 2 side monitors and leaving fov unchanged is cheating? Good logic.

witoldinho likes this.
  6. The Moose

The Moose Hardcore Simmer

Quite the opposite. I'm always much faster with a lower FOV. It's so much easier to hit my apexes and i feel much more in control of the car the closer i am to the correct FOV. (single 23" monitor)

witoldinho and victor86 like this.
  7. PhenOm

PhenOm Alien

Who even cares.
    Get a field of view YOU feel comfy with. Especially when you're using only 1 screen. Since you can't use the 2 extra screens for your peripheral vision, you've got to use a higher FOV with single screen to be aware of everything you'd be when using triple monitor setup.
    Now, please, just close this thread.

8. I hereby declare Phenom the winner of this thread. Next!

PhenOm, McStinger and Disposable_Hero like this.
  9. megaCoffee

megaCoffee Simracer

Nobody said it's the perfect solution; I just explained the pros of having a realistic FoV. You'll notice that helmets usually have the top taped off so the driver can focus only on the track, so all you're losing with a realistic FoV on a small monitor is a bit of the view off to the sides. Programs like RealHeadMotion which will rotate your virtual head when cornering, or TrackIR help make this less problematic on tight corners. Does nothing for speed perception though, but that's why, as I explained earlier in this thread, I try to race only on narrow circuits like Nords.

You mentioned cheating. Having a realistic FoV is not cheating; setting your FoV so that the engine squishes the geometry so you have more of it in view than you would in real life, that's cheating (cheating reality).

Of course having triple monitors or VR is preferable, but in my case, I refuse to buy two extra monitors when the age of VR is now imminent, and I refuse to buy a prototype OR which will become obsolete soon.

That's why headphones were invented (get anti-wife headphones which go to 11) :D.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    victor86 likes this.
  10. Changing the FOV to suit your own requirements is not cheating. That's just silly talk.

11. Cuthere

Cuthere Racer

haha LOL

12. megaCoffee

megaCoffee Simracer

Notice how I added the "cheating reality" bit. Nobody is talking about cheating as in VAC-ban haxx0r :p.

Johnnypenso likes this.
  13. Cuthere

Cuthere Racer

This is a forum for discussion, here is my opinion. I do not want be right, just say my thinking about it.
    A lot of people are kind and intelligent to understand it.
    Have a good race with your best FOV.

Johnnypenso likes this.
  14. henri

henri Hardcore Simmer

FOV is the only way to make the view look right because I don't have a +180deg video wall around. At the moment my 24" screen with 40 FOV is like watching through the small window. I am faster when I watch through this small window in right angle and not with distortion.
    50mm objective (some say closest to the human view) has 27deg vertical view (assetto corsa uses vertical fov).

I just hope nobody new will not ruin their experience with this wisdom you like to share here.

The Moose likes this.
  15. Cuthere

Cuthere Racer

Have a nice day.

henri likes this.
  16. megaCoffee

megaCoffee Simracer

:rolleyes:

Tundra, witoldinho and The Moose like this.
  17. PhenOm

PhenOm Alien

out of context, I was stating that if you use a single screen, you'll have to use a higher fov to get the same feeling as when you're using a triple screen setup.

18. megaCoffee

megaCoffee Simracer

I disagree. To get similar speed perception, yes, but the distorted picture completely destroys the 'feeling' for me.

witoldinho likes this.
  19. witoldinho

witoldinho Racer

Can't agree more. Single will never be like triples. But meanwhile I will choose lack of peripheral vision over fisheye.

Opinions, opinions. Strange enough mine is exectly opposite:

If you use a single screen, you'll have to deal with lack of peripheral vision to get the same feeling as when you're using a triple screen setup.

Tundra and victor86 like this.
  20. My FOV does not give me a "fish eye" effect in AC. In fact, I also do the same thing with my flight simulator (Lockheed Martin P3D), and it looks fine in that aswell.