1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Turning off factory ABS

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by TomSc, Oct 15, 2017.

1. TomSc

TomSc Gamer

Are some cars just not meant to be run without ABS? Normally I don’t have problems in non-abs cars, and often (largely in race cars with factory abs enabled) I can turn it off without issue, but I’m noticing that’s not always the case. I just started running a few races in the Lotus 2-eleven (basic, not GT4 version) and found that it’s very touchy without ABS. Even coming in at high speed at the end of a straight anything more than 30% or so leads to front wheels locking up. Is this normal? Did they really over-engineer the car’s braking ability such that any aggressive braking will lock it up without ABS? Do others run these cars with it off?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Anyone else notice pink (missing textures) and street lights at Monza turning off as you pass them?? Dec 19, 2023
    ACC User Interface Turning off subtitles and TC/ABS info panel? Dec 13, 2018
    Suggestions Please, allow turning off/on the engine Dec 14, 2017
    Suggestions Please stop turning these off as default Nov 22, 2016
    Suggestions Please consider turning chromatic aberration off in the default filters Aug 10, 2016
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Dk2 - low-persistence keeps turning off Mar 10, 2015
    Physics Bugs & Issues Drs not turning off Jan 13, 2015
    Physics Bugs & Issues Auto clutch is not turning off Oct 23, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Are some guys running softs and turning off tire wear in MP during races ? Jun 3, 2014
    Chit Chat Room What's the benefit of turning off stability control? Jan 6, 2014
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Standing rpm not correct in 458 when turning off all assists Dec 5, 2013
    Physics Bugs & Issues ABS is not turning off Nov 22, 2013
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Turning Shadows Off Completley Nov 17, 2013
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Wheel feels light only when turning (Fanatec DD Pro + PS5) Apr 19, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Returning the old competition Jul 5, 2022

3. Solmyr

Solmyr Racer

I almost always turn any ABS off. What you describe is very true. Any brake pedal caress in most of those Lotus cars will lead to a huge wheel block (x2). Then I lower the brake power to minimum, 80%, and if it's slightly better, it's still very very touchy, not to say undriveable with my pedals (Thrustmaster T500RS, not the best ones of course, but still quite nice).
    Don't take it as an "official" assessment from me, but I've always thought that early developped cars like Lotus ones are far from being top notch quality development like we hopefully got with, for exemple, Porsche Packs, or Ferrari 70's birthday pack...
    On a side note, I remember days when devs were officially (if not definitively) very reluctant to implement a "braking power setting", then finally, and very thankfully, changed their mind. We don't all of us own a 300-400 euros pedal set, like last Fanatec one, and then we needed this. Its helped a lot for most of cars, but some are still almost undrivable without any ABS. -> Try to heel and toe with a brake pedal you can push only for 1cm and before almost any resistance feeling...

4. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

Yes, many cars with ABS are set up in such a way that they don't work properly without it. (That's the primary reason that you're not allowed to turn it off in real cars.)

Tomcul, Horus, xystof and 3 others like this.
  5. Solmyr

Solmyr Racer

Really ? I thought that most of those GT cars allowed to turn it off... o_O

6. TomSc

TomSc Gamer

Well that fits with my findings that GT cars tend to do fine with it off, but production cars are a lot more finicky

7. LeSunTzu

LeSunTzu Alien

The latest generations of ABS have become better than human control on most road surfaces. That's called progress ^^

Horus and coret3x like this.
  8. Serge M

Serge M Alien

The lighter mid engined cars like the lotus cars would struggle more if you turn the factory abs off as there's very little weight over the front wheels to help with traction

9. LChaves

LChaves Hardcore Simmer

TC yes, ABS no.

Solmyr likes this.
  10. On old cars I pull the fuse (E30, Quattro, etc), on modern cars it doesnt work :p

11. Horus

Horus Alien

When it comes to ABS I go by the feel, if I am all over the shop then ABS can help, if there is a little lock up here and there I turn it down (up in numbers) or off. The 'Top Gear' mentality of "turn it all off" never worked on me as I would rather stay on the road and race hard that spin around and get frustrated/cause accidents. I have a G27 and the brake pedal is not the best and as such I have to play the game of most returns, I would love to see what ABS cars drive like with a set of professional grade pedals but that is not going to happen any time soon. :)

P.S. I never use TC or SC, but ABS seems to be necessary in a few cars.

12. John Gordon

John Gordon Hardcore Simmer

Interesting fact. On most Road cars if you disable the ABS (pulling the fuse/sensors). There's a 99% chance you're going to change the brake distribution.

On my old Clio RS for example, my ABS failed due to a cracked ABS ring. The Bosch system on that car went to a default 'failure' setting of 50/50% brake distribution once the sensors failed to pick up a signal from the broken ring. From that point on it was like pulling the handbrake up in heavy braking zones.

13. Braking in Assetto Corsa is somewhat over sensitive without ABS, and lockups occur without any form of realistic tactile feedback that could let me know when I am close to "the edge". That being the case, I prefer to stick with ABS for those cars that have it.

LChaves likes this.
  14. McGregor

McGregor Gamer

On modern cars (and some older cars) I usually remove the tires. I’ve found that having 1:1 feedback directly from the rim to the suspension really lets me feel what the car is doing and how close I really am to the limit. With tires, the road feel is somewhat masked and the loss of grip feels a bit too linear for my driving style.

Sure there are often moments of total, uncontrollable understeer and braking points tend to change dramatically, but I think that it ends up being more rewarding given the extra amount of communication you get from the car. I’ll happily pass on any of these modern doodads that only diminish the driving experience. YMMV

It makes me wonder why Kunos doesn’t have this option for any cars in the game.

Shinzenbi, Kade and agrip 2 like this.