1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

1.5 Update is out!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by VTX, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I have now collected laps in many different cars, since 1.5 came out, from GT3 over classics to street cars, mainly on the Nordschleife, but on other default tracks as well.

I must admit that there has shown up something that I increasingly and now strongly dislike, it seems to be the tyres v7. I recall that Aris somenwhere wrote something like "those tyres/cars you liked before, you now will like even more, but those tyres/cars you did not like before you now will dislike even more". Well, I noticed that over the whole board the cars to me feel less believable now, more like motorboats in a water-racing game, with an inertia and weight transfer that time and again makes me think of motorboats in the waves. I must admit I increasingly dislike the state of things here, I must reject this new way of floaty feeling in the cars. I do not know to what degree changed physics have somethign to do with it, or whether it indeed is all about the tyres, but I cannot like the driving as much anymore as I liked it before. Not in just some cars, but practically in almost all cars. They feel way to floaty, and do not provide me with a convincing illusion anymore that it is a car I steer around, more a bob on a bob sledge, a boat in the water. The mass transfer, the sliding and slippery behavior, this floatiness - its too much for my taste. Really, boats on water with waves, this constantly is on my mind.

Sorry, I do not like this new direction things are going at. First I thought it was just the new Mustang and Firebird, but the more cars I tried, the more I realisded that it was not just them. Enjoyable currently only are the quite slow cars, maybe, the Abarth 500 and such, and as important: providing me the illusion of "realism" in car behavior. This floatiness on rubbers to me is exaggerated now, and quite much so. This becomes an even greater problem when driving in a car that, for whatever the reason is, provides me a sense of reduced speed: you believe to go slower by what you see, than you actually do when looking at the speedometer. For exmaple the Huayra cockpit provides me this sense of of things going slower than they do. You thus tend to enter turns faster than you should, because your eyes estimate you travel with 80 km/h while the needle already points at 140 or so. The certainly does not help to counter the floaty steering if you constantly misjudge the real speed you are going at.

It was also said, I think by Aris as well, that the range of correct speed which you should not leave if you do not want to loose optimal turning behaviour, is more decisive now, and/or narrower. Again i think that this speed window is too harsh and too decisve now, and adding to the problems of fighting with a floating car.

Impressions formed over the past days, past week. I hope this all gets reversed and better-tuned. To me it leads in the wrong direction, and currently somewhat pushes me away from AC. I do not enjoy it this way as much anymore as I did before.

All driving done with default setups, only altering tyres and pressure.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  2. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Can't quite follow anything you said as to me it's exactly the opposite, the game just feels better. And much of what you described doesn't really have to do with the tyre model, like the sense of speed. I feel like you might want to spend more time with setting up game and peripherals.

Andrex, Glaurung, dk78 and 6 others like this.
  3. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Race me and beat me, then I might take any of your complete nonsense more serious.

Glaurung, liakjim, GRFOCO and 2 others like this.
  4. Nao

Nao Alien

@Skybird In case of Huayra "cockpit" making the car look slower, here is a food for thought: Drag.png it is just second fastest roadcar in game after LaF while having 1/3rd of their downforce.

Anyways, can't really comment on the floatyness as i don't feel any... and afaik suspension/weight/inertia stuff did not change at all, so it's only tyres evolving - with the biggest change each patch there is grip balance. And since that can be controlled to a large extent with pedals, the cars roughly drive the same for me. Stuff like new rear suspension on E30 - this is a significant change i can see for example.

I wonder if this is a matter of different driving styles that comes from different approaches to learning the cars. I for example, often tend to overdrive anything i get into first, literally "will it drift" is the first question i ask seeing new car. So any balance change gets hidden away through hamfisting it, and from there the optimal driving style for each car just flows out and i don't even notice i'm driving the car a little bit different than last patch.
    Frankly when you look at the actual numbers, "big changes" in handling are coming from 1-2% difference in numbers... so if you feel big differences from patch to patch, i feel like you are concentrating on random details and missing the big picture.

So my advice would be to try exploring what the cars are capable off fully, maybe even turn on something like suspension dev app to see how strained each tyre is at a given time (something that real drivers don't have but it does a nice job at adding information similar in effect to g-forces that we lack in sims), maybe it will give you an "eureka" moment.

5. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Always interesting to read from people that preferred AC before V7tyre and 1.5, when looking at the amount of SIM racer playing AC for the last 2 weeks, the numbers are higher than ever, showing clearly more people than ever are enjoying more than ever racing and driving in Assetto Corsa.
    http://steamcharts.com/cmp/244210,365960,234630
    I am one of those people, I like the direction Kunos is going with the driving model, the AI and the overall racing experience. Feels more than ever like real driving to me.
    One thing I would like to be able to do, with some of the critics, is to allow them to drive the same car with different tyre models, without them knowing which is which, like wine blind testing and listen to the comments. Then we would know the difference between really feeling the difference or just being influenced by each other.:p
    Has anyone checked where the placebo effect is at these days?:)

Andrex, Fear, LeDude83 and 3 others like this.
  6. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Just for the record, I have over 700 hours in AC. Lacking experience with customizing controls or visuals is not my issue. Promised.

Beyond that, I stick to what I said.

Epistolarius, I mentioned the tyres and changed car behaviour as thre main point, and the - confirmed by Kunos - narrower optimal speed window of theirs . The sense of speed thing I brought up since it makes it even more difficult to handle the cars if you underestumate the speed you go at from the visuals. My FOV (environment) is in the same range with all cars, btw, I only alter the distance to the dashboard at times. Its like in reality, and maybe actually a compliment to Kunos, if sense of speed differs in car with same environment FOV - like in reality. Going at 150 in a small car in reality makes you realise the speed much more directly than if you were surrounded by the cockpit of some heavy, spacious limousine.

Whether you are the better driver than me or not has nothing to do with that, Tberg. ;) Chances are you are. What says that about tyre changes from v5/6 to v7? Nothing. ;)

7. sacredaardvark

sacredaardvark Hardcore Simmer

You know where it is...
    [​IMG]

;)

8. speeddrifter

speeddrifter Hardcore Simmer

Your impressions are interesting to say the least, and very subjective. I don't encounter any floatiness at all. And I don't have top of the line hardware.
    You talk a lot about bad impressions in your lengthy post, but do you have anything (technical) to back up your arguments? Is the game wrong in corner speeds? Are there slides that look totally unrealistic compared to real life situations?
    If you think your cars drive like boats you are either pushing way too agressively to the apexes, or your force feedback is badly set up from my view.
    Have you driven a Mustang or Corvette (not Firebird!!) in real life? Do you realise they both don't have a stiff racing suspension that is very responsive to bumps and irregularities and therefore are supposed to feel smooth and subtle on the steering?
    In terms of your lack of sense of speed, that is very likely due to lower FOV settings, or you being used to more camera shake effects in games like rFactor.

Andrex, Glaurung, liakjim and 3 others like this.
  9. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

General "floatiness" is not something I ever associated with Assetto Corsa and the lack thereof beyond anything that may be vehicle-related is one of the main things that drew me to this simulator.

And FoV and sense of speed are tradeoffs, if you don't have a massive monitor/projector, multi-monitor or VR setup you will have to play with low FoV to be able to drive properly, better judge distances and corners - and without peripheral vision the sense of speeds does get lost a bit. That is nothing related to the game and tyre model itself.

10. 1.5.9 is out

- reverted Realtime app
    - Audio : hit and scrape sounds use surface volume

11. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Now we just need that guy saying that 1.6 should be coming next....

Edit: sorry, I'm in such a bad mood today, no more posts today! :-D

Jos_theboss and Seria17hri11er like this.
  12. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Sometimes I am given the strong impression that people just do not care to really read what I actually have written. o_O

Alexandr66 and Tberg like this.
  13. ..or version 1.5.9.01 or 1.5.9.02... :p

sacredaardvark likes this.
  14. Mike1304

Mike1304 Alien

...or

liakjim likes this.
  15. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I know you weren't talking to me here. Anyways, I read what you wrote and couldn't disagree more. Floatiness, boat-like feeling is something that has been extraordinarily absent from AC ever since IMO. It's why I "came here" and stayed after trying pCars and RR. Plus: apart from the more realistic heating not too much has changed in AC with 1.5.xxx, nothing that would affect "floatiness", certainly.

I respect your opinion for sure but yeah...you're pretty much on your own with several RL drivers (BMW 1M, GT86 etc.) that confirmed 1.5 has brought AC even closer to RL.

No offense but I'm taking your opinion with a grain of salt, anyways since you run your RR advertising thread with great enthusiasm where you write with a very PR like undertone.

16. I like the feel of the cars with the v7 tyre model. Most of them feel a lot more realistic to me than they have done in the past. However, one point I would like to make concerns the new Corvette C7 Stingray. Whilst many of the cars have that nice "rubber on tarmac" feel to them now, the Corvette feels a bit "hard". It's quite difficult to explain, but the feeling is more "rims on tarmac" than rubber. I don't really understand why that is the case.....

17. Jaye

Jaye Alien

Also opposite here... What you write now is partly what I was thinking when 1.4 was coming out. Now with 1.5 I'm happy again like I was before 1.4. For me it's more the feeling that I'm driving beasts now, go over the limit and try to survive. Be bad to your tyres and they will be bad to you. And and and... I'm really happy with that patch, although the new content isn't something for me.

Glaurung, rycil and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  18. esox71

esox71 Alien

Yeah let's burn him at the stake eh?
    Wonder who'll light it?o_O
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, what's funny is whoever gives one on whatever version, you usually find it's the same dudes saying it's the best most realistic version and it's awesome there's nothing wrong it's all in your head. o_O

Me personally, I'm having a blast with AC at the moment, best fun for a while if you ask me.
    Don't get too personal, Don't speak for other people, seems to be trending.
    Have fun.:)

19. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

The only floating experience in sim racing for me was R3E pre to the current update. None of that in any version of AC. I really don't get what you mean Skybird. To me 1.5 drives more convincing than any other sim racing iteration before. Sorry...

20. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I didn't mean to burn anyone - I was just commenting on @Skybird post. In the RR thread he has been asking people to not post anything if they didn't have anything positive to say about RR. Now he doesn't seem to have anything positive to say about the current state of AC yet he posts his negative opinion. So please understand if I point that out, ok?