1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Demo to Help Stop Piracy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Juris, Dec 26, 2013.

?

Would a demo of AC help to stem piracy and convince people to buy the game

1. Yes, a demo would help stem piracy.

36.3%
  2. Yes, I want a demo to try before I buy.

18.6%
  3. No, a demo would not help in stemming piracy.

46.1%
  4. No, I'm happy to buy without a demo.

8.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Juris

Juris Rookie

Just a thought that a demo of AC may help to stop piracy . Over on the RD forums I started a thread asking how to stop piracy of AC, probably naively. I also contacted KS directly with a link to the offending download I found. We got a load of responses from people saying they have now bought the game as a result of pirating the game 1st to test it out and wouldn't have purchased without a test 1st. They were just being honest in stating they felt they had no way to test it out before handing over their cash. This may be an unfortunate result of some pre-pay beta sims not being up to scratch & making people wary of doing it again. I feel AC is the best beta I've ever tested in sim racing.

I don't personally agree with this as an Early Access guy but perhaps a demo of AC, like a refresh of the tech preview with a couple of newer cars & tracks, might help to stem the flow of piracy of this amazing sim.

I hope I'm not speaking out of of turn in posting this (KS pls delete if inappropriate). I just don't want this sim destroyed by pirates. I also don't know if Kunos are already planning one or not. With Kunos now implementing the Steam login to these forums (every little helps) I know this might be preaching to the converted but do you think this would help to get more on board and pay to play rather than pirating the game? Cheers.

phil likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions This game needs a demo. Jul 24, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Assetto Corsa Competizione demo? Dec 31, 2019
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards Demoted from Gold to Bronze without losing rating Jun 7, 2019
    Screens & Videos tactile feedback / bass shaker via Shake It. tutorial and demo here Feb 7, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Where do I post to ask for permission to use assetto corsa for demo? May 6, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Demo Scene? Mar 11, 2018
    Screens & Videos Real Head Motion Demonstration / 488 GT3 @ Nords Aug 4, 2016
    Screens & Videos Small demonstration of GlovePIE voice activation for MGU-K profiles Jul 28, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Sebestian Rally demo Jan 24, 2016
    3D car models F1sr ferrari f248 public beta 2 demo 19/09/15 Aug 13, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Could ac do with a demo? May 8, 2015
    Screens & Videos Channel for demonstrating mods Nov 26, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Special Event "Demon on Wheels" with the BMW Z4 GT3 at Imola Mar 16, 2014
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Replace special characters; getDriverName workaround (demo, incomplete) Mar 5, 2014
    3D car models Full Throttle Blue Demon Ferrari 458 Feb 11, 2014

3. AC Support

AC Support Official Support Staff Member KS Dev Team

There will not be a demo before 1.0 release, already discussed.

4. Juris

Juris Rookie

Ok sorry it was more to see peoples opinion on stemming piracy of AC. Can you remove my thread please if its inappropriate . Thanks and happy Christmas.

5. AC Support

AC Support Official Support Staff Member KS Dev Team

Don't worry, legit question.

6. RobJames

RobJames Racer

In general (Not just in the case of AC) I'd like to see demo's of all new games the same as you used to see. Hell even used to get console demo's on PS1 etc.

Today's market is saturated with many varying levels of quality of games, some very good but others a waste of money and there is no way to test many of them before purchase and with Steams "You bought it, no refund Policy" really does drive people into the piracy route. I'll even admit to having downloaded a pirated game last year as i'd heard mixed reactions gave it a quick trial, liked it and bought it at full price. Unfortunately there will always be a small crowd who think pirated games for the fact they can get it free is ok. (I'm not in that camp).

Demo's serve as a great tool to get people interested, give it ago and see if they want to invest their money without the risk and dangers that downloaded pirate games can give.

As per the official response, a demo at 1.0 would be great as it is a evolving product currently.

Nahkamarakatti and cerebus23 like this.
  7. i think a demo would help, yes.

but the best option is still to report pirate links.

RatFink63 and Juris like this.
  8. Ishigami

Ishigami Racer

I don't think a demo would help.

3316V likes this.
  9. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

Use some account authentication? no one has cracked pcars to my knowledge yet ac builds come out on torrent sites a few days after release, steam DRM isn't enough.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

10. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

Luigi Gianni Vollaro Hardcore Simmer

Personally I think version matching through Steam with constant little updates and Steam account absolutely necessary for online play might be enough.

I'd hate Assetto go the same way as Simbin, but it's going to be tough to prevent people getting some kind offline version.

Mogster likes this.
  11. KitrinosKat

KitrinosKat Hardcore Simmer

I hope you guys don't bash me for it, but I need to be honest here. AC was the first game I ever bought and before that I used a pirate version of it too. But I liked it so much that I decide to buy and support the devs and it felt so much better when I first played the legal copy. Felt like a totally new and better game! After that, I begun to uninstall all the pirate versions of games I had on my pc and decided to only play what I buy from now on. I hope you guys and Kunos team forgive me for that, but everyone commit errors. And I thank you Kunos for changing my way of thinking with this awesome project.

12. Wrongfire

Wrongfire Hardcore Simmer

I had no demo before I purchased the game.
    I read the Steam reviews, and hearing every person say "This game handles great" again, and again, was all I needed to see.
    Ive shown two of my friends and they are on-board with it, and would purchase it as well.
    I don't think the game really needs a demo.

13. Chico Choker

Chico Choker Rookie

If there was no pirated version of AC available, I would assume that most that have downloaded it wouldn't buy the game anyway. It's the same with all pirated games and movies.

dztrbdgod and WallyM like this.
  14. djadlib

djadlib Gamer

I don't think there's a way to stop piracy. If the devs finds a way to secure a game, than the pirates will find a way around it. Added benefits to owning a legit game is you can run it without problems, enjoy the updates/improvements and added content (especially true for AC) and the support of the official forum (validation through steam). All you can hope for is that the people who download ripped versions like the game so much that they will buy the official version, like we have

15. paulieGTR

paulieGTR Alien

Piracy is probably always gonna' be there.
    Crackers crack 'cos it's about the challenge and of 'cos to some, anti-DRM.

I didn't vote, 'cos i don't think the question is worth a vote(whatever happens happens you cannot change it).
    However although i do think it's a legit one to ask, i don't think it needs a yea or nay, but it's good to here other folks views on it.

I would buy it without a demo.
    Question is... will others.??

This is the reason i didn't poll a vote with my view, 'cos it could give Kunos the wrong feedback.

ie.
    more or less everyone here says i'll buy AC without a demo and votes that way.
    It kills the chance of a demo being released for the masses.
    We are a small niche community with an unashamed biased view - of'cos we'll buy it.
    But Kunos need to think beyond us guys.;)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  16. Bill

Bill Gamer

I ran into a couple people on car Facebook groups that were talking about something like that. Most people are really waiting for 1.0 because of disappointing experiences with past race sims. I'm happy to know that a legitimate demo is in the works though. This sim is more than worth the money in my book.

BMASTER likes this.
  17. FerrariMan96

FerrariMan96 Racer

I think that a demo would be good, but I think that it's perfectly appropriate to not release one until v1.0. There shouldn't be any sort of pressure to buy AC until then - leagues etc. shouldn't really be using it until then, certainly can't now without MP.

For me, I think that the main purpose of a demo should be two things, and which is more important depends on you and your system:
    1. To test that it is fun/satisfies expectations
    2. To test if your system can handle it.

For me I knew it was a gamble because my iMac would struggle, and it just holds up ATM but unless lots of optimisation occurs it probably won't handle AI. But that was a risk I knew I was taking, and was willing to take as I am planning to build a PC anyway and "sell" the iMac within the family. Obviously not everyone is in this possition - their system may be only just scraping in, and they may be unable/have no intentions to upgrade, in which case a demo is useful. But like I said, I think they should be able to wait until v1.0 :)

18. Ales Nocar

Ales Nocar Hardcore Simmer

Maybe make TP as demo until there will be a proper one? :)

19. speedbee

speedbee Hardcore Simmer

Demo wont stop piracy. Lol. A pirate will download it regardless. Trust me, I know. Yargh! ;)

It might get more people to buy the game when they see how sick it is though... I feel like AAA games don't have demos because they are too bad and the demos would spoil 90% of the hype huge marketing budgets create, while AC doesn't have any marketing, yet they do have a SIICK product, so a demo might be beneficial. 1 track, 1 car.....

mangal likes this.
  20. I'm with Kunos: No demo until V1.0.....early access means an unfinished game; no sense to have a demo for an unfinished game even if the part of the game that would be the demo is finished. Also, time spent implementing demo is less time spent finishing the game. You want to play now, you buy into early access and hope for the best; You want to be sure the game works and try it first, wait for game to be released and try the demo. Pretty awesome that there will even be a demo considering how few there are nowadays.

21. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

Pirates will be pirates until they either grow up or get a job, or both.
    I used to pirate all my games (shame on me, but read on) simply because at the time I didn't have a job and couldn't afford it. There was also the 'one-up-manship' over the big production companies who take your money, get disgustingly rich then run. This is one of the reasons why pirating started in the first place but most kids nowadays just think why pay for it when I can have it for free? I remember when I used to download a cracked copy of a game, there would be a read me doc from the cracker saying something like; "If you like this game then please buy it and support the devs". I don't know if they still bother with this anymore but I'm pretty sure most people ignored it.
    However, when I got a job I bought every game I ever pirated. Ok maybe not all of them but the ones that I played more than a couple of hours on and thought were good/worth buying, so they were a kind of 'demo' for me.
    If you look at my Steam library you'll see 32 games, the majority of which have less than 2 hours played. Most are the ones I felt guilty about pirating and paid for them when I could, even though I no longer play them.
    I don't think anyone can give a definitive answer to the pirate question. Kunos acknowledges their game will be pirated and the only thing they can do is make it as difficult as possible for people to play without paying for it, but where there's a will there's a way.
    Hopefully the crackers will see sense and not create an online crack at least.

phil, tanveerahmed2k11 and mangal like this.