1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Do Super-Cars Really Understeer This Much?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Guybrush Threepwood, Nov 21, 2013.

1. speed1

speed1 Gamer

Start with lowering tyre pressure on the front, if there is the possibility soften stabilizer on the front, followed by toe balance, increase toe out if possibel. Be carefull that the car don't becomes to soft on the front, otherwise it will byte you with all the weight on the rear and wrong stiffness balance between the front and the rear. Do not decrease tire pressure to much that the car becomes a boat, same for damper and spring settings if possible. Try TC controle settings, unfortunately the most cars don't allow mechanical traction and decc balance. Lifting off will lead to pull the car straight when the mechanical decc balance of the diff isn't well controlled. The rear is the main controle unit of such sort of cars, it needs throttle modulation to use throttle steer sometimes as well. Brake the car more with the help of engine and diff decc, release brakes in sync with the final corner entry gear on straight. Trail braking is not the best choice for the rear mass dominating cars, not just because of the catapulting effect, even the tires won't like it by constant lateral slip while entry the corner, if not the accel mass will turn you around by bad inputs and weight balance. There is much more to say about, but for the first it should be enough to understand. The most important part is the toe front/rear, stabilizer, suspension and tire pressure in relation to the setup of this cars. You should know rear driven cars lead to toe in under accel while the front leads to to out under thrust. The more toe out the car has statically the more it increase under power or decc by braking it, while it will generate a better turn in in the first instance of steering when it isn't to much by static balance. The loaded outer wheel will become the comanding one in relation to the line when the static toe out balance is to much, the more with to soft stabilizer and overall stiffness of the car by rolling to much. The rest need to come from your driving style. These are just some examples to try and no complete or perfect solution.

About the thread question in generall : no they don't, just when they are bad balanced and bad driven, provided there is nothing seriously damaged or wrong.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  2. speed1

speed1 Gamer

Also camber and caster have a large influence on the driving dynamics in general, as track width, center distance, CoG etc. but the camber is more important for you in relation to above mentioned stuff. It increase the tendency of the wheels running to the outside ( toe out ) while increasing lateral resistance against lateral accel, if not overdone by static balance.

3. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

Lotus Exige S is the best driving Lotus cars. Nearly no understeer and super fast. Only the last gear is **** :D

Evora GTE handles a little bit better after the update ;)

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk 2

4. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Maybe I just have a different style of driving, but my issue with the 458 was oversteer all the way. So easy to turn in while braking and slide the rear out, or to throttle a bit much on exit and oversteer...

My main problem controlling the 458 was actually the other end of slides... I can hardly feel grip coming back, so when I'm countersteering I really have to wrench my wheel around at what I think is the right time, and if I get it wrong it'll spin out one way or the other, cause the rear picks up a lot of grip very suddenly.

5. speed1

speed1 Gamer

Could be the result of not so clear friction transitions and the more lateral bite of tires transmitted to the FFB Wheels we have. Another possibility is again the weight distribution while the inner front wheel gets more unloaded by to much roll and soft balance in general, decreasing drag and lighntning the steering wheel, at least it should be, but the rear has all the weight and drag applying on wheels, even the inner rear wheel should be more relaxed ( slip risk ) as well. The diff is very important here and it can have many reason why that happens. I think the most deficient here with the feeling is the perception of loads/transitions transmitted to the steering wheel by the FFB.

6. Strummer

Strummer Simracer

Thanks for the recommendation, the Exige S has somewhat restored my faith in Loti. It turns in and it's tolerant. Did 2:17s at Mugello in it on semi-slicks but have no idea if that's any good as nobody on RSR seems to drive this combo! Later tonight I'll set up a 12-car race and see if at least I'm on the AI's pace on Hard.

Shaddix likes this.
  7. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

Imo since 0.6 the 458 understeers more, even with semis it feels more understeered than in previous updates with streettyres. I can put a lot of neg camber at the front tyres, but the car already was 'great' on streettyres before 0.6. What happened?

Cheers
    Robin

8. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

I did some testing with the 458, didn't notice any difference compared to 0.5

I will do some hotlaping at the Imola, if I can beat the Stig then 458 is fine

9. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

Alright. Please try the stock 458 on streettyres without any setup changes.

I raised the neg frontcamber from 1.7 to 2.7 -which is a lot relatively spoken- and the car turns in more or less like the way it did with 0.5.

Or am I going paranoid:)

Cheers
    Robin

10. Bailey

Bailey Alien

I am by no means a hot lapping guy, but I have felt that putting the front toe at -0.10 and the rear toe at +0.10 I get much less understeer in the vehicles.
    ~Bailey

11. Don't know if it is right or wrong but that is the setting I use too.

12. Bailey

Bailey Alien

"Right" or "Wrong" Depends :p
    I know that it is common to see this range of negative/positive values in GT cars.
    ~Bailey

13. speed1

speed1 Gamer

Depends also on the position of the track rods. The kinematics lead also to pull the wheels in or out under accel while the ride height changes on the rear. Are the track rods in front of the rear wheels the kinematics will increase toe in while it tends to to out with the track rod behind the wheels while in general the rear drive tends to toe in under accel power. Of course depends as well on the applying torque, stiffness, kinematic correction by design etc.

14. The 458 is still just as awesome as ever.....ran it against some AI at Magione and forgot how much fun drifting on street tires is in that car...until the rears get too hot, lol...
    The S3 version is among my favorites and it feels the same to me as it did a few days ago.

Robin_NL likes this.
  15. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

Thanks guys for the toe in/out explanation.

Thanks for replying and I still do agree. 458(any) is my fav car in AC.

I raced Magione yesterday evening(update 0.6), the car felt ok.

This morning I raced Valelunga and the car felt less alive from the rear, less eager to turn in.

Maybe it's the track...Valelunga has some difficult understeery bends and kinks.

Cheers
    Robin

16. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

Yes you are paranoid:)

I did beat the Stig by 1,1 sec with default setup and 30l fuel
    http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRL...type=all&tyre_type=Street&controller_type=all
    N0 understeer problems whatsoever, will upload my onboard replay later;)

17. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

Stigs lap vs some dude, this is with 0.1 or 0.2 version

18. speed1

speed1 Gamer

Nice but the reality shows much more steering action to balance the car while the virtual one looks bored on the steering wheel, otherwise good.

19. Strummer

Strummer Simracer

I'm tearing what's left of my hair out trying to go fast in the 458. I have taken much of the above advice re. toe and camber but I cannot drive it aggressively or it pushes. It seems to need very gentle transitions from gas to brake (fair enough, that's just technique), trail braking destabilises it rather than tucking the nose into the direction of the turn, it doesn't like kerbs and you have to feather the throttle input or it shimmies. You have to feather the brakes. You have to prepare very early for corners. In other words, you have to tip-toe it around the track to get a good lap out of it. Should I adjust the gearing for Silverstone? I never need 7th gear.

As I said, a lot of this is technique that I guess I'll just have to learn. And I'm not used to mid-engine cars. My best time at Silverstone is a sad 1.29:xx. Can we share setups yet? Can anyone help me with this? Last night I was able to get the Lotus Exige Roadster to lap very fast (#35 on RSR) at Mugello by being very gentle on the brakes to maintain momentum. I do not know how to lap fast in the Ferrari.

20. speed1

speed1 Gamer

I would like to help but i also felt slow with the Ferrari while i'm not really using AC seriously atm. The current build i haven't touched yet with my racing PC, just give it a go with my secong PC on the TV with a Pad.

But what i can read out is you are going to understand how to controle the AC's 458 replication, where i honestly doing hard to believe it drives like that in real, at least not like controling something totally outer balance rolling on egg shells and beeing that sensible on inputs.