1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

First Impressions AI

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Beto Suannes, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Coolio

Coolio Gamer

I don't know, but to be honest, I don't really see the point in making it car specific. Well, I see the point looking at it from the user experience/variety angle, but not from the time/effort needed to do so from the developers angle.
    The AI needs to follow basic racing principles, which is more or less the same regardless of car. It needs to have some kind of stress and aggressive meter in order to simulate overtaking aggression and driver errors (depending on difficulty settings).
    If there's any difference between the AI's on track, that should be sufficient enough to counter the differences between cars, as the AI's that enter turns slowly and exits fast will be faster than those who enter aggressively and exits slowly, given a car that complements that behavior.
    Even in this case, though, you need to have a well balanced spread of AI behavior without the usual dumbed down AI of half the pack. In other words, different kind of driving styles. That being said, you need to have different aggression settings for endurance races for obvious reasons.

I think many will disagree with me here, but let's be honest and realistic; the time and effort needed to make each individual AI behave in a different manner for every car and/or series will far exceed the cost/reward ratio of any developer out there.
    No matter how much effort you put into AI, it will never be good enough to make a sim community, like the one AC is aiming for, think the AI is good enough or realistic enough to represent the real thing.
    There's an option though for those of you who like realism; racing against other players. Hurrah :D

2. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Seeing as atm the ai only works on some cars and not others at all where they cant even make a basic turn, though the ones that work are ok on all tracks. This shows that in some way the ai is car specific otherwise wouldnt they all just work.

3. Turk

Turk Alien

It already feels like there is a difference to me between the different types of cars. The BMWs are clearly more aggressive, as they should be in that type of racing, I've found the F.abarths to be much more cautious (once your past the first two turns).

4. rge75

rge75 Simracer

If it's like in other sim's, then every pilote will have some parameters which defines it's behaviour. The core AI/program code itself is the "same" for all, but aggressivness, car failure and so on are controlled by parameters in some ini file. That would explain why the other cars don't have an AI yet.

Just as an example from an older sim:
    [ driver_1 ]
    aggression = 1.030000 ; aggression
    alertness = 1.030000 ; alertness
    experience = 1.010000 ; experience
    hype = 1.002000 ; hype
    qualifying = 1.020000 ; qualifying
    quickness = 1.050000 ; quickness
    smoothness = 1.000000 ; smoothness
    global_hype_scaling = 0.05 ; global_hype_scaling
    [...]

5. Wrongfire

Wrongfire Hardcore Simmer

Ive literally only managed to finish one race so far, and it was because the AI split up very early on...
    It's infuriating at the moment.

6. Riesig

Riesig Rookie

It seems that the Monza Tatuus AI to be overly aggressive when it comes to side-by-side entry on the chicanes. Probably just me, but it seems they have more respect for each other than with an unpredictable player. :(

7. Felice Pugliese

Felice Pugliese Hardcore Simmer

when the technology preview release of trim running many things were missing and many things had to be completed and placed ... but everyone was okay on one thing , the model of guide was awesome ! exceptional things you recognize immediately, even if they are not perfect yet , this has not happened with the AI , lack many things and certainly a lot of development but maybe this will not be the highlight of this simulator , at least not as physical models of cars I think.
    Before writing my thoughts on the iA I waited a lot, done a lot of races ... that is a lot of starts and finished a few races .... this made me realize all the movements "fixed" the car and try to figure out how to overcome them so clean. The result? Disastrous and disheartening , I have read many comments here and I think many users do not distinguish aggression from an AI " unconscious ." Unable to compete in the middle of other machines because they will notice me until after avrmi sent out . The incomprehensible delays after the curves , and rear-end collisions that follow are the cause of many races finished the first lap. If you are very lucky and with a bit of maneuvering at the limit of the regulation after the first corner, you'll be among the first 5 /6 and you can expect to finish the race ... but it happens rarely , at least to me .... End result ? After months of waiting to do hot lap races with AI .... I run again alone in hot lap mode ....

Trezoitao38 likes this.
  8. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

"End result ? After months of waiting to do hot lap races with AI .... I run again alone in hot lap mode ...." I'm too. And if the next update I can't race in my three trys, I will dont rack against AI. I have tried to keep clean on track and the only option I have against the actual AI is stay longer of that. Its almost impossible, at this moment, duel with this AI side-by-side.

In my opinion, if the real player tries to make a pass in the inside of the corner, keep inside line all the moment, he is right. He cannot be punished by that. And the Ai cannot do invade the inside line, the AI have to keep on outside line until the AI and the player is side-by-side. That is my suggestion for Kunos.

9. Ray HT

Ray HT Simracer

Try knocking down the AI strength ??

Backmarker likes this.
  10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Simracer

You can hit restart until you can race clean up the field it does happen......

Or you hang back for turns 1 and 2ish and work your way up.

To get first you have to restart and get a massively good run up the field, but you can get 5th or 6th on most tracks by turn one if the whole field does not wreck or wreck you, if your really really lucky you can get up into 5th and 6th and the whole field behind you wrecks out.

I would like to see more adjusting and fixing and tweaking, but i think the main thing atm is alien is not hard enough for some people but for most people they will never ever beat alien, but some of the medium pace races seem overly fast paced lapping decently and cleanly you wont gain time on the leaders. easy you can blast up the field like schumacher the pace is so slow on the cars, but medium seems to be a overly large leap.

11. Ishigami

Ishigami Racer

My first impression of the AI is horrible. I’m sorry but that’s how I feel about it atm.
    I’ve only tried to race the Tatuus on Monza as the other events are of little interest to me and after quite a few attempts trying all difficult settings I gave up.
    My problem with the AI is that their driving is too erratic for me to adjust to it.
    Their brake zones are crazy good. I have to step on the brakes earlier and while I brake as hard as I can the AI slows down faster still. This makes having AI behind me a nightmare and driving in the pack more or less impossible. If the AI is behind me following in my draft they are bound to hit me in the back. In the pack I’m likely the *** to hit the AI as I just seem unable to slow down as quickly as they do.
    It then gets worse as the AIs cornering speed is inferior in most corners of Monza compared to mine. Not only are they usually slower while cornering sometimes they seem to hit the brakes while being on or past the apex for no real reason. They enter like being Michael Schumacher and then act as having misjudged the corner.
    Also when I’m able to corner without problems (no AI behind me, AI in front far enough away to not block) I noticed that they accelerate sometimes faster than I do despite me having supposedly more momentum than they do.
    Additionally the AI seems to drive a car at least twice as heavy as yours that is also glued to the road.
    Contact is usually rather fatal for me but the AI seems very unimpressed by it, it recovers even the most unrecoverable “about to happen spin” with physics defying moves all the mean while staying on track.
    Furthermore they never ease up. Yea sure it is a race but they seem to attack no matter that it should be obvious that they can’t pass at this location, or at this time. Sometimes the erratically change the race line for no or little reason.
    I tried to compare the lap times and just judging by the lap times I think I should be able to beat the AI on Pro. However I’ve never won a race, the best I managed was 5th place. That’s out of many, many tries that I aborted because I got royally screwed by above mentioned behavior.
    The AI on alien got really alien to me with the last patch, once the field is spread out I can’t keep up. But I suppose that’s okay since I’m not the best anyway.
    So yea I can’t race the AI in its current stage.

12. Aceking

Aceking Racer

You appear to be taken out by the AI because you didn't hold your line but instead made a last minute decision to move directly into his fast path which was then impossible to avoid this disaster! Sorry, if this sounds like i'am being mean as i don't intend this to seem like that but only attempting to express how i'am viewing this through my eyes!

13. eSEA One

eSEA One Hardcore Simmer

The AI was just ....iting himself. They say when you see red you keep clear

14. the_prodigy

the_prodigy Racer

It looks like AI is missing that I..

15. pmc

pmc Hardcore Simmer

im having a blast with the ai, once you know how they drive u just gotta be patient n pick the right moment to make a move, the 1st few turns it best hang back let things settle , tho wont do much good going for the gold medals, im having more fun racing against more ai cars and more laps, can be more patient then and get a good race trying to work your way to 1st

mangal likes this.
  16. Aceking

Aceking Racer

I totally agree with you and also have very few problems with racing the AI. Many of these problems with the AI are due to some drivers braking too soon or not holding their line!

I reworked the AI in rFactor with several crucial adjustments plus making new AIW lines for them since many tracks are not optimized for a particular mod which is very important to have great results! After my work on tracks and AI adjustments the AI in rFactor are my best competitors and race fantastic!!! So, i believe this next generation of AI that AC is working on will no doubt be one of the very best ever seen in a racing sim when it's all finalized!!

PS. I see there are some complaints about some AI check braking in turns or braking earlier than they should so i just wanted to say that this behavior is an attempt to make the AI human-like and is controlled by their programmed talents! This takes alot of time to fine tune this AI behavior and make it work perfectly with every mod and track so with each AI update i expect to see many improvements!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    mangal likes this.
  17. Backmarker

Backmarker Racer

seriously? Did KS state that they did that on purpose?
    :)

18. Aceking

Aceking Racer

KS did state this in one of the threads why some of the AI were locking up their brakes going into a turn with the Abarth-500(Fiat) so it only stands to reason that this behavior is programmed for other car manufacturers too! I believe they will fine-tune this type behavior so it's not so intense in a future update.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  19. Slave1

Slave1 Hardcore Simmer

I haven't played seriously for a couple of weeks and thought I would try out the AI.

I drove the Tatuus at Monza and its typical, a bit boring but thats the nature of the track. So I had a run a Vellunga, after you get past the first lap when they seem to be all over the place you can have some really good racing. Was able to put moves on them and then actually enjoyed watching it back on the replay.

Then I went to Imola and the first lap is a bit of a disaster, but once your through that it is really fun. Or just stay at the back until half way round.

I was able to put a couple of passes in at Acque Mineralli, that felt absolutely brilliant I have never had that much fun in a sim before, and blasting out of Rivazza is awesome seeing who can get the power down first, then get a slip stream down the main straight.

They seem to be able to accelerate very late in the braking zone before Tamburello, very unrealistic but not a complaint just an observation that I am sure they will fix as time goes on.

The only thing I don't like is they seem to be able to put you off very easily, if the touches were less severe it would be fantastic.

20. Wildchild

Wildchild Gamer

Only the BMW challenge is really annoying. Rest AI challeges has been much fun. Such battle. Wow.
    [​IMG]

Backmarker likes this.