1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

First Impressions AI

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Beto Suannes, Jan 17, 2014.

1. The AI needs work and I'm sure that changes will happen.

I have noticed that the erratic behavior is the result of the AI dealing with the car in front of them. If they stop short or break at an odd place its because they rammed the car in front of them. If they do a weird line change going into a corner its always too avoid another car directly in front of them. When its a single car I feel comfortable closely following them through a corner but when I'm following 2 or more I always give them a wide berth.

To avoid the AI and its odd behavior I first go into the event.ini file to double the number of laps then just follow the pack for the first lap. By the end of the lap the tires are warm and the AI pack has spread out. This has increased my enjoyment significantly.

I'm guessing here but I suspect that those that claim they like the AI as it is and like running in the pack also don't mind seeing their damage meter go red. Which is fine right now but will not be so fine when the damage model gets added to the game and results in a lot of DNF's.

Felice Pugliese likes this.
  2. DaveH36

DaveH36 Gamer

I'm one of those who likes running against the AI at this time. However, it is what it is. The weird abrupt braking and aggressive driving, the lack of awareness the exhibit toward me, all that is true and needs to be fixed. When I race them now, I'm not that concerned about finishing well, I just let them spread out for a lap and then practice my passing technique. As I think I said in an earlier post, set up the way they are you really have to be able to make the pass and gain some ground or you run the risk of getting rammed. Sometimes its really frustrating, but I'm kind of new to all this, so I'm finding this kind of practice has really helped my driving. I think a lot of folks are having fun with the AI. I'm betting very few think the AI in AC is a completed project.

3. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

As we are able to modify the events, some cars have good AI but other are not ready yet.Among the not ready, I have noticed:
    Ferrari 599xxevo
    Lotus Elise sc

has anyone tried other cars not ready yet?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  4. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

bmw z4 and gt3, bmw m3 gt2 arent ready
    all modern lotus except the scurra, pagani, p4/5, ferrari f40 also not finished

5. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

Sorry, Im a brazillian guy and dont understand what you told. Do you tkink that the AI of Assetto Corsa is on what stage?

6. Turk

Turk Alien

I've had the chance to have some longer races (mostly tatus). I think the AI deals well with cars that are behind. They tend to leave room and not cut you off. It's not so good at dealing with cars in front or beside, I was side swiped and rammed into a lot. They seem to kamikaze dives for corners taking you out and don't seem to exercise any caution when behind another car.

But what really frustrates the most is when an AI car takes you out, spins your car around and into the dirt and then just carries on as if nothing happened because it didn't spin. AI always fairs out better in a crash which means no matter what happens the player is always the loser and the rest of the pack just drives off into the distance leaving the player no option but to restart.

One on one battles can be great though. AI can really hold you up and make it difficult to pass even though I might be a lot faster. There's been a few occasions when the AI has fought back on me and it's been great swapping places over a series of corners. For the most part though it seems the AI gets left behind once you pass them out.

Felice Pugliese likes this.
  7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Simracer

They still have that magnetic kung fu grip cars, fun is taking out the formula car follow the filed down the back straight at monza and half of the field oversteering zig zagging all the way down the back straight. you try and drive up through them its like pinball as your blasted into the guard rails on either side when they crash into you. you can ever bounce forward to pass amusingly.

They need to balance out the difficulties better easy is ok, med too hard, hard i think is ok from what people have said and alien might be a smidge too slow for the real aliens.

They need to up the awareness of the ai if the player and especially of slow players you cannot just drive through people change your line or break...... you cannot break check for lulz during a race either if you have no real good reassn to break do not slam on your breaks with someone behind you they will penalize people for doing that, and it irks drivers off like few other .

Up the awareness, balance out the difficulty levels a bit better, if they can do those two things and allow the ai to be more flexible overall the ai would be darn close to perfect, well and fix the mainiac physics driving its funny but immersion breaking, heck if you could get them to drive well without the super gravity it would be a really nice achievement.

8. pmc

pmc Hardcore Simmer

done a 14 lap race at monza with the formula abarth n them using my setup, come lap 12 my tyres wer shot n so wer thers. they kept losing control , was fun tryin to pass while ther rear end is swaying from side to side down the track, for it just being the 1st iteration of ai im very impressed and look forward to them gettin more of the i

9. rge75

rge75 Simracer

I did a couple of quick races with the Lotus 49 on the classic Monza (field of 12 cars, AI at 98%). My experience is that they have quite some problem at Curva Grande. There's almost every lap where at least one car seems to go wide into the grass. But beside that, it already seems very raceable. But it's like in online racing...you have to pay attention, sometimes it's better to brake earlier if you have several cars in front of you. But I for sure wasn't shot out of the race unless I did some stupid, unexpected manoevers. Second thing I noticed; they're no good starters yet. Maybe it's because they're at 98% or because I have to start at the end of the pack. But I often have to brake/slow down to not crash into the car right in front of me. Anyway, I can have some fun races.

10. Peter Burke

Peter Burke Racer

I am getting very frustrated with this AI. I haven't completed a race yet. Either I screw up during a late lap; which is my fault, or I get punted. They are so slow on lap one making it nearly impossible to catch the leaders if I don't get through. Then they come to a halt for no apparent reason when another AI goes off. If I have ABS off; do they?

Granted, in most cases I am using a modded special event; so I won't get super pissed until they offer more events using the cars I like (if it's still a pain of course).

It seems if I hit them (front back or side it doesn't matter); then I go off. If they hit me; I go off.

Maybe I'm not ready yet.

11. SatanTwister

SatanTwister Gamer

The AI is atm driving like a braindead worse than iracing lowsplitters (is it even possible?). Anyway I hope it gets better before 1.0

12. Mike1304

Mike1304 Alien

I think the difficulty of the AI is very different between the special events. While Abarth and BMW are easy on beginners level, the Formula Abarth in Monza are too difficult on beginners level. They accelerate and drive too fast on the straights (for a "beginner"). And the main problem is that they don't recognize if the player's car is slower or even standing after a spin. They don't react and try to avoid a crash like a real driver would do, even if it would mean that they had to go off track or spin just to "save their life". So they just crash in your back without braking... The AI should always calculate the time-lag to the car in front and so they could "see" if there is a slower car in front (a faster driver would always be careful if a slower car is in front because he would know that a slower driver means a bad driver and he may reckon that a bad driver could make mistakes, could brake too early or do unpredictable things). And if the time-lag reduces very fast then the car in front is in severe trouble or standing still which means that a very fast reaction is needed in order to avoid a crash.
    Another question: Is slipstream racing already implemented?

Anuj, Wrongfire and rge75 like this.
  13. Icebear

Icebear Gamer

The AI also start very bad. I raced at Monza 1966 with Lotus 2-11 and the other suggested cars (KTM some BMWs) with full grid. I raced on 100% but I was second when I approached first corner and first after it. At Monza 1966 the first Lesmo at lap 1 is a game of luck if you aren't at front because they often crash and you have no chance to avoid them. The AI sometimes break very early for no reason which is very irritating because I think I'm too late. But I think it will get better.

Anuj likes this.
  14. Wrongfire

Wrongfire Hardcore Simmer

I wish they would stop tank slapping all over the road when they lose control, that has ruined so many potentially good races... It seperates the field terribly too, people who aren't involved in the ridiculous tank slapping AI get way, way, way ahead, and the rest are miles behind because the AI is literally ALL over the road, half the time they can't regain control intill someone hits them.

osy1950 likes this.
  15. AosudiF1

AosudiF1 Gamer

I am so much getting tired of this... really, it is so f"ยท$% frustrating. I am really hoping that they come up with something better in the next build, because I am running out of patience running against these guys.

16. Shrubbo

Shrubbo Simracer

Yes very very frustrating but also a lot of promise. I really do enjoy some of the dices I have with AI cars that I don't recall having in previous games. Maybe I did but they were never this exciting and then they cheat and smash you off the track :D

The most frustrating tho IMO is when they hook up on you and push and push and push and then spin you out. Oh man... rage... but hey beta. I can deal with that. Looking forward to when it gets sorted.

17. AugGust

AugGust Racer

18. They are certainly frustrating for the first couple of corners. They also are pretty slow off the line. If they come up on you driving slowly after a spin or something, they will rear end you if you are on their line, they make no effort to avoid. These are the things that need fixed, along with the ridiculous tank slappers (or fish tailing all over the road as we americans might call it). I assume they know about these problems and are working to correct them.

19. plaid

plaid Alien

AI...AC...Artificial Cartman!

20. mangal

mangal Hardcore Simmer

I ran a number of GT races yesterday on both Nuerburgring GP and Silverstone, and I had a blast. The start is impossible, and the more I try to battle my way to the front the worse it gets, so I just hang back a bit. On Nuerburgring, I just stay well back, and usually can pass a bunch of cars on the outside, with just a few bumps.

Once the race gets going, and you're through that first straight, from there it is mostly fine, unless I force my way into a hairpin next to another car, which typically results in a bump and a spin. So, it's better for your own sanity to just follow that car into the hairpin and make sure that you have a good exit, rather than try to get in front of him right before the corner.

I think I will pick up my "endurance" racing special events plans, again, because 10 laps is too short, and once the race is a bit spread out, the AI is totally manageable. As special events, and with AI setups prepared, we can do 40-45 lap races.

Anuj, Tony Rickard and spiritofsenna like this.