1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

FOV: Field of View. Optimal/real settings?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by edgec0m, Nov 25, 2013.

1. edgec0m

edgec0m Gamer

I've recently been thinking about FOV and changing my sim settings...

I've previously always driven with what would be an unrealistically wide FOV - Started on LFS a few years back and basically used to set it so I could see the actual car mirrors, not knowing any better.

I had a little play in iRacing yesterday for the first time in years. It has an FOV calculator in the options, in game (uses screen width and distance to eye, and of course the resolution). Takes some getting used to moving in so much!

If I set Assetto Corsa to the same FOV number as iRacing calculated, I still feel like I am further back in the car than in iRacing, and seeing more peripheral.

It's not a bad thing - but I suppose my main concern in this new FOV consideration is that things be fairly accurate in scale/FOV, perhaps with a bit of compromise for some extra periphery (single screen...).

So I moved AC FOV in (lower number) such that the steering wheel on screen kind of felt like a realistic scale...

What do people think of FOV and its impact on your driving experience, realism and feeling better connected to the track and hitting your apexes?

There's another thread requesting some kind of app for FOV. This could be cool.
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/app-request-fov-display.1896/

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Fov (field of view) - here's what i think. Jan 5, 2015
    Bug reports acc fov bug Apr 2, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FFB and FOV Jul 20, 2023
    ACC User Interface Optimal Fov for curved monitor Mar 25, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FOV Jun 14, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FOV Jun 9, 2022
    ACC User Interface Can we get monitor curvature FOV adjustment like iRacing? May 22, 2022
    General modding discussion How to change Onboard FOV with python Mar 12, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions No 2021 Season, no FOV available Feb 24, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Triple screen FOV setting tied to which view ? Feb 15, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions T300RS GT. FOV. Questions Jan 19, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions DEFAULT FOV? Dec 26, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality New FHolger mod - foveated VR Dec 23, 2021
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Trees Dissapearing/Reappearing [Extreme FOV setup] Nov 29, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Enabling AMD FSR alters FOV [FSR disables projection correction] Nov 25, 2021

3. TheDyingScotsman

TheDyingScotsman Hardcore Simmer

FOV is quite important. I used a calculator (can't remember where from) to get my FOV and it was around 58, but I use 60 as I find it gives me a better sensation of speed. It would be really nice to have an in-game FOV calculator like iRacing.

Also I would like FOV per car. Right now FOV is global, only seat/eye position is set for individual cars.

panosdimp and edgec0m like this.
  4. JRantajoki

JRantajoki Rookie

IRacing uses horizontal fov, ac uses vertical. In ir my fov is 65 and ac 40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edgec0m likes this.
  5. edgec0m

edgec0m Gamer

Ah! that explains the difference. Thanks.

FOV per car - Seems like a reasonable and presumably fairly easily implementable request to me.

TheDyingScotsman likes this.
  6. Bob Freckle

Bob Freckle Rookie

Setting the FOV to a realistic view (depending on your screen size and your distance from the screen) is very important. I think it is far more immersive because the game world appears at the correct scale. You can judge distance and speed better.

The Moose and edgec0m like this.
  7. edgec0m

edgec0m Gamer

Once the brain has adapted away from being fooled with an incorrect FOV for such a long time! :)

So it's just a simple triangle calc, but knowing whether it's a vertical or horizontal FOV is critical
    (Note: Mentioned above by JRantajoki, apparently Assetto Corsa is a vertical FOV)

For those that might be interested, this calculator might make your life a bit easier.
    http://ostermiller.org/calc/triangle.html.

As a single screen user, fairly large and fairly close, I still think I will probably run the FOV a bit wider (bigger number) than truly "to scale". Then perhaps move the seat/eye position a bit.

8. Sriple Tix

Sriple Tix Rookie

Strange thing with AC is, for example, 68 FOV give you 100 FPS, but 37 give only 70FPS with same graphic setup. That`s the reason, why I must play AC on one monitor, meantime all the other games (included rF2) easily on all three.

9. edgec0m

edgec0m Gamer

This is likely at least in part to do with the fact that with a wider FOV (bigger number) the screen gets taken up with more of the dash/car - which is not really moving or doing much from a graphical/processing consideration.

10. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

My fov is set to 75 degrees. Always had a wide fov on any game even though I only have a 23 inch screen. I do have the screen positioned just behind the wheel though. I have also raised the seating position and "look down" (-14 degrees), this seems to give me a better sensation of speed.

11. Danny Giusa

Danny Giusa Simracer

1080p on 27" -> 40 Fov

Back in old times I was a FoV enemy.
    But now... changing the FoV improves your drive so much.
    After I changed the FoV I've got a totally different feeling for the car, (better).

Chevalier D'Harmental likes this.
  12. JDuvel

JDuvel Gamer

Two screen shots, 1 40fov, the other 85.

40fov:
    [​IMG]
    85fov:
    [​IMG]

The view is "similar" in perspective, but you can see how 85fov shows a lot more of the track, and with a softer representation of the corners - with 40fov the left hander is clearly deep into the side window, on 85fov, it is fully within the windscreen only.

I have played long enough on a triple screen setup with a correct fov to know that it can make an enormous difference to the perception of what is going on in corners, so much so that i do not trust the physics assumptions of anyone who doesn't play with a correct fov for their screens (i realize for single screen players this is hard).

An example is you enter a corner which on your screen looks pretty soft, like a slight curve, so you enter it at 140mph, then the car loses grip and slides - two things happen: (1) the car handles weird to you as you find yourself steering quite hard on what you saw as a small bend, and (2) you think the physics are ice because you just slid off the track on a "small bend". Yet in the correct perspective, the turn was far deeper and more complex than you ever could have guessed - all of a sudden the physics make a lot more sense for the type of inputs you make.

But having said this, being correct in your fov won't make you any faster, in some ways you may even be slower, but the immersion, the way the sim feels completely different all of a sudden, is too much for me to give up. Playing rfactor on a single screen with a high fov doesn't feel right at all, like I'm playing a game, put it in triples with the low fov, and it feels and even looks like a different sim altogether.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  13. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

Corners and elevations look and feel completely different with a wide and a realistic FOV, that's for sure. You haven't really driven Nordschleife until you have done so sith a realistic FOV. Those crests suddenly get real scary!

I haven't really driven much lately, but when AC came out I gave it a whirl again. Drove Imola first with a temporary setup with single screen and default setup. Imola is a track I haven't driven much at all before, at least not the last ten years, so it was practically a new track to me. Started to get into it a little, and then set up my rig properly. And I literally didn't recognize the track! The difference is THAT profound!

Try it! It WILL feel really weird at first, especially if you are used to a very wide FOV, but give it some time and you'll see. The brain needs to "unlearn" the FOV compensation before it starts to look right

rycil and Chevalier D'Harmental like this.
  14. edgec0m

edgec0m Gamer

Those screen shots really are a great representation. The way you have altered the seat position (I presume) so we can just see the distortion of the FoV really tells a story!

Would you/do you in fact move your virtual eye position to this extent for your actual sim-ing?

I am looking forward to having my brain re-learn... It's interesting how even the more "sim" of simulators have a pretty wide FoV by default...

15. JRantajoki

JRantajoki Rookie

It makes all the difference. I have recently changed closer to my "correct" fov after using a too wide one for 15years. Only took couple days to get used to and theres no going back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. JDuvel

JDuvel Gamer

When you have triples in AC, you get an extra plugin on the side menu to configure them. It asks for you side monitor angles, size of screens, bezel compensation, and so on, so you just enter these numbers and it does it all for you.

What i try to do with my rig is first and foremost, give yourself a really good seating position, where the wheel and screens are optimally setup. For me, this means not using some tiny desk which is too high (i dont' have a cockpit setup), or chair that is also too high or too upright, you want it to feel like you're in a sports car, wheel quite high, pedals i have on a box angled in too. Next, i try to have my monitors as close to my wheel/eyes as possible and get them so they are quite low too, so i get to see some cockpit. Then providing your wheel is in a good position, i use the correct fov settings, and then move my in-game seat position so the wheel on the screen hides behind my real wheel close to 1:1. I like it this way.

This is how it looks for me in rfactor2, don't have a video of me in AC:

17. edgec0m

edgec0m Gamer

Had a bit of seat time. Getting used to a true/close FoV. With a (single) fair size screen up pretty close, what is lost in peripheral vision doesn't seem like it will be a big deal.

Early impressions as I adapt... It's interesting how it makes some things kind of easier in positioning the car, and others harder. and the change in sensation of speed. The environment certainly looks better. Firstly more natural in its fit on the screen (less distortion), but somehow also a lot of things just seem "higher res"

Just did an iRace MX-5 at Laguna Seca.
    Seemed easier with true FoV: most corners actually, particularly fast corner before climbing the hill.
    Harder: turning into the drop off of the corkscrew.

It will be a good thing. I'll be glad I looked into it and changed my ways.

Thanks for the discussion. Hopefully this will be of use to others too.

TheDyingScotsman and JDuvel like this.
  18. BMASTER

BMASTER Hardcore Simmer

Either I do something wrong in the calculator or the calculator really says I should use a FOV of 79°. And that's just absurd. Can someone explain to me, how I have to use this calculator for AC? I think, my FOV should be something near 40°.

19. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

You are using inches and not centimetres?

20. edgec0m

edgec0m Gamer

As long as you use the same unit of measurement for all 3 (only two, really) distance input measurements, it will still work with the same answer...

So:
    Enter the height of your monitors visible area in the bottom "Side" field of that calculator.
    Enter the distance from your face/eyes to the top of the visible area or your monitor into both the side "Side" input fields

Hit calculate...

Then your angle for FoV will be the one that gets written at the top "Angle" box. (It'll probably be the smaller of the resultant angles, unless you have a massive screen and/or are insanely close to your screen...)

Or of course you could just use your good ole high school maths and split the pertinent measurements in half and treat it as a right triangle situation and use pythagoras. Really takes me back.

Link for that calculator again...
    http://ostermiller.org/calc/triangle.html

21. BMASTER

BMASTER Hardcore Simmer

Oh, crap. I did read the wrong value, but still 20° might be to less.
    My values are 76, 76, 26.5.
    Thanks for the help