1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Off-track 5 Second Penalty

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by FerrariMan96, Nov 13, 2013.

?

What do you think of the current penalty system (with the 5 second throttle-cut)?

1. I like it and it should stay as it is

7.1%
  2. I think it is good but it is currently too harsh

4.8%
  3. I think a two-stage penalty system should be used instead (see below)

12.1%
  4. I think only 'invalidated laps' should be used as a penalty, like in the tech preview

49.5%
  5. I think there shouldn't be any penalties at all for track limits, apart from serious corner cutting

26.6%
  1. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

I wouldn't say it worked perfectly. Race07 used this too and if/when you were pushed out by someone else at T1 Monza you got a penalty through no fault of your own. That was the reason I used to DQ in qualifying so I could start at the back of the grid.

2. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

OK, I will concede that it didn't always work 100%, however it was usually the first lap where these problems occurred, (for me at least) getting pushed off into the cut zone. A simple revision to the system though would cure this, if I recall correctly the cut zones were also throttle sensitive, so if you went through them full throttle it was an instant black flag, but if you went through them off the throttle or half throttle you didn't get a penalty. Something similar needs to be looked at in my view, but perhaps not a carbon copy.

3. Fahim

Fahim Racer

This is bullcrap.

based similar to GTR2 system:
    CUT = Invalidate the hot lap.
    In the race three cuts = stop and go penalty in the pits.

It's simple and realistic. Non of this granturismo engine cut bullcrap.

4. Sorry, but giving two free cuts a race is a load of frog spit also.

TCLF likes this.
  5. Erwin

Erwin Racer

I don't think there are easy to implement solutions. If you set out cutting zones, you could get an unwanted penalty if you spin over it. If you cure that by looking at the throttle position, you could still gain at lot of time by coasting through a chicane. If you cure it by looking at the speed you must take into account what car was used, an Exos or a Guilietta.

The most complicated part is to determine if an advantage was gained. Second question is what penalty is suitable (warnings, penalties, slowdowns?).

I agree GTR2's system was fine (I assume it also was complicated to implement). Another solution is the possibility to safely slowdown yourself, like the app I posted yesterday.

6. Only thing that needs to be changed is instead of automatically cutting your throttle, you should have a few seconds to get out of the way and serve your slowdown on your own IMO

7. Erwin

Erwin Racer

Plus, the amount of slowdown should be not be fixed. If you have to avoid a collision and go wide and lose time, no slowdown is needed. Or if you go wide by 1 inch, 5 second is way too much.

8. WallyM

WallyM Alien

I've solved it my own way with an app in this thread: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...-penalty-app-for-repeated-track-cutting.17852
    Works great in a league situation, but it's a voluntary opt-in.
    But this logic is what a server admin should be able to enforce via the game automatically.

Summary from that thread:

Cutting rules
    Track cutting is defined as 3 or more wheels out of the track, using the AC cut detection. You don't have to have penalties enabled for this to work.

Only cuts over 50 kph are registered.
    If you are off-track for more than 1.3 seconds, or slow down to less than 90% of your track exit speed before re-entering, a cut won't be registered. This is to stop accidents from registering as cuts. After your 4th cut, you have to take a drive through penalty.

You have 3 laps to take your drive through penalty in.

You can't take your penalty while taking a normal pit stop. In other words, you cannot stop while taking your penalty. If you do, you won't clear the pit lane penalty, and you'll have to do it again.​

9. Erwin

Erwin Racer

Looks good for small cuts, and it doesn't need data from earlier laps so thats positive. But how does it work for large cuts at Monza T1? I haven't tried your app yet, but it seems I could cut 3 times for free, and after that I only have to slowdown 10% of my speed, so lifting a bit will do.

10. APC900

APC900 Simracer

I personally think the time limit is just a bit too high.
    Like most on the servers, I tend to run Spa most.
    Recently during a really good battle online, I came through Pouhon and found a spun car blocking the track.
    Having to take evasive action by going off the tracks surface, I incurred a penalty and watched helplessly as the car I was racing just 'sail' away in the distance...(since the spun car was now gone by the magic of the escape key). It effectively brought the racing to a halt.
    Should the penalty be tied to lack of a brake input prior to going off the circuit?
    It would certainly address intentional cheating, while saving the rest of us from the draconian penalty system it is now.
    No braking to indicate attempt at corrective action...penalty applied.
    Tracked braking action in an attempt at correction, will result in time loss from slowdown and also as a result of action to remedy the situation... so no additional penalty imposed.
    Would that be easy to implement since we are talking about an input we could track (i.e... brake input)?
    As usual, black flag and immediate disqualification/removal from servers (based on trajectory angle) relative to track direction. So no going backwards on track.
    If you spin off, chances are....(if you have good intentions of continuing), you will be at some angle less than 90 degrees and going in the racing direction prior to rejoining the racing.
    Your thoughts.....

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    Erwin and Enzo Martin like this.
  11. Enzo Martin

Enzo Martin Racer

This is a very interesting idea.

12. TCLF

TCLF Alien

13. APC900

APC900 Simracer

Ah! sorry...didn't see that one.

14. APC900

APC900 Simracer

Mod ...can you please move and combine.

15. Festa_PWR

Festa_PWR Alien

There is an app currently that replaces the Kunos 5-second death penalty.

It logs off-track time and forces a drive through penalty if continualy broken.

The down side being is that currently it is not mandatory to put on servers, but is an interesting idea for leagues etc.

Jempy and cerebralvortex like this.
  16. Erwin

Erwin Racer

My thoughts on the penalty system:
    1. It's dangerous because it causes slow cars on track, or oversteer as the thottle is cut abruptly
    2. always 5 seconds is unfair because it doesn't depend on the advantage of a cut (most of the time there isn't even an advantage gained - no penalty required)
    3. Track limits are not always clear
    4. It destroys close battles, which are imo the most fun part of racing. When to cars go side by side through a corner, chances are that one of them has to go wide to avoid a collision. Well, with this penalty system, the battle is then immediatly over
    5. It's unrealistic.
    Possible improvements:
    • Penalties are given only when driving over predetermined 'cut zones' on the insides of corners (or paved outsides).
    • Allow driver to slowdown himself, when it's more safe to do.
    • Give warnings and then a drive-through instead of the slowdowns.
    • Compare delta times before and after the cut, and use this to determine the penalty.
    • WallyM's improved app: compare your speed relative to your topspeed: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...y-app-for-repeated-track-cutting.17852/page-5
    • A (too simple but) easy solution is to reduce the slowdown to 2 seconds AND the throttle cut to 50% instead of 100%. Not sufficient for cheaters in public races but good enough for serious races to prevent small cuts. Could be a temporary solution. Or a server setting that is more configurable than on/off.
    All have flaws but there got to be a way the improve the current penalty system. So far, in one years time nothing has changed :rolleyes:

Tony74 likes this.
  17. Jempy

Jempy Simracer

New 0.7 version takes that now into account.

Truly said, I couldn't do better than make it mandatory in our league servers and open races.
    Wally's other tool makes the control easier also. .... even though we reckon on our members's honesty of which I rarely doubt.
    But the reality of a possible control does its trick also . :D

Really tested and approved .... even though tweaks still are maybe needed according to the chosen track.

Let's not forget a good cut detection is also depending on the track layout and track modding at this point of view.

18. Headhunter

Headhunter Gamer

I like your idea. And I hate the penalty system. Cutting corners on purpose should be punished, not if you fail to get the corner. If you dont drive clean, you'll loosing time anyway. Thats racing.

19. .....and that's why on track penalties are rubbish. I would rather see someone get away with track cutting than ruin the enjoyment of close racing.

Erwin likes this.
  20. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa Alien

Can't you make the app write to the server log on turn on turn off??
    So you would mandate drivers to turn it on and never turn off or that would be seen on the logs.