1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Request: A practice mode with Flashback

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Lazybug, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Fred Joseph

Fred Joseph I'm watching you ! Staff Member

Getting back to this btw..

If that feature once exists ( I doubt about it but who knows ;) ).. it would be cool if it's specified in the results informations .. I mean, doing a hotlap with this feature ON is less demanding ;)

2. Lazybug

Lazybug Simracer

I dont know, to me flashback is an useful tool in practice but a cheating tool if use in hotlap & race :rolleyes:

3. Ahab

Ahab Gamer

Why would it be developed with the ability to post laps if used o_O

The resistance to a purely single player feature is hilarious, can we get it just for that reason...
    :D

4. XN-Sigma

XN-Sigma Gamer

I read the first few posts and skipped the rest because... yeah...

Anyway, I don't particularly like the flashback thing, but what I do miss in AC is a reset function, mostly for when the car gets stuck somewhere (or falling through the map...) because it would be really annoying to have to restart some long race because the car got stuck.

5. Angelo

Angelo Racer

This should be a simulator software, not an arcade game for kids.

Rui Santos likes this.
  6. A great point for sim racing (comparing to racing IRL) is that you can practice efficiently. (You won't be hurt in the sims, so you can try something fancy, or maybe you don't have to repair the cars/ change tires etc. and etc..)

It can virtually save 50% (Skipping all straights) to 95% (Skipping all easy parts) of the time. However, I can understand that those who have already spent hours practicing may not like to see newcomers practicing 2-20 times more efficient. The same goes with the ghost car from others.

Any time saving feature that help people improving driving skill should be encouraged. Those who refuses to practice efficiently can do so by turning off the option.

7. Ahab

Ahab Gamer

Is that why the education systems are borked XD

[​IMG]

Looks like it's aiming for a wide audiance not just die hard simmers.

Lazybug likes this.
  8. Petercheese

Petercheese Gamer

I play the drums, when I need to practice something specific, I don't go over the entire song. If I'm having issues, I start where I have issues...

Maybe you like to play your entire song over and over to correct one issue but I don't. Not when the only issue is a specific part with a specific fill. I'll practice the fill...
    Having issues with your guitar solo? Play the chorus...

Lazybug and claudiopolez like this.
  9. TheDyingScotsman

TheDyingScotsman Hardcore Simmer

Fair point.

10. Even some rudimentary console commands would be really nice.

We just need to specify the initial position, velocity, and maybe yaw angle.

11. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

Flashback is a very good tool for training! Say you wanted to practice turn number 23 in Nurburgring? Usually you'd have to lap the entire thing before getting back to this particular section. You could also turn around and drive back. Or you could hit pause and select "Flashback" function and magically appear at the start of the section in an instant. Yes, the latter is more efficient learning :) Or practice particular type of overtaking (AI of course)- same thing.

Tru Hard Core racers are not forced to use it, just like racing line and other driving aids of course.

Lazybug likes this.
  12. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

Absolutely perfect analogy!!!! I play piano, and this is EXACTLY true and surely applicable to learning particular driving/racing techniques!

13. Such functionality would only takes maximal half a day, or maybe even less to implement and test.

The python interface already provides ac.getCarState. So if there is a ac.setCarState, it can be easily implemented by looping through all the state variable of the car
    Part One saving state:
    for variableName in variableNamesList:
    state[variableName] = ac.getCarState(yourCarID, variableName)

Part Two loading state:
    for variableName in variableNamesList:
    ac.setCarState(yourCarID, variableName, state[variableName] )

And some UI codes to makes only appear in practice mode in the replay.

14. SirJack

SirJack Racer

wise words ;-)

15. Tiago Fortuna

Tiago Fortuna Simracer

Or you can play just sectors of the track... flashback / rewind whatever you call it kind sucks as it kills the experience of going to the track.

Sectors already exist and it should be simpler, hopefully, to make a star finish flag at those.

Sent from my bq Edison using Tapatalk

16. IMO, it seems that people who oppose to this suggestion think it is really important to provide a "simulated racing experience as a racer", while I as a supporter really don't care.

As an engineer, all that I care is that I get a subjective simulated driving experience and better driving skill using a simulator at home. So I support every single feature that saves my time and/or refine my driving skill. The game is a tool for me, not the goal.

Lazybug and Patrik Marek like this.
  17. kobus999

kobus999 Rookie

Its a yes please for flashback in free practice from me. Would certainly help in learning a new track or just a particularly tricky bit.

Lazybug likes this.
  18. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

it's not something I will use (much) , but if Kunos will like to develop it, i'm not one who will hate it and complain about arcade etc.

maybe it can be done in a less intrusive way, something like "soft restart" , where you will restart from your last sector (at speed ) and continue

In a way it can be valid learning tool, specially if someone wants to train on particular track segment ( however, if you really want to train only, you can always turn around and try to drive that segment again )

it really comes down how much work it would be to work on that, if it's too much work, it might not be worth spending time there , since this falls into category - nice to have - rather the -must have - or - enriching realism -

19. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

lol, because this is something of very hard thing to do, rebuilding track, trying to fix textures, collisions .. etc? .. in "real time" ?

unless you car just disapears and spawns back to start .. at which point this is kinda like flash back anyway ?

20. Tucker73

Tucker73 Hardcore Simmer

I got no problem with flashback or any other tool that makes people better drivers, only in lone practice of course, the 'hardcore sim guys' that don't want this feature don't have to use it, I would rather race with people that have learned the circuit rather than be stuck behind someone who is tentative around parts of the track as this is what causes most incidents, give people the option to learn and the races will be better for all

Snarffu and kalabaleek like this.