1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

OK DLSS 2.0 - Promising technology that ACC could benefit from

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by XzzDSA, Feb 18, 2020.

1. XzzDSA

XzzDSA Racer

One of my biggest gripes with ACC has been clarity. It's been an issue from day one, and although improvements have been made across the board, I still find it as an issue that you have to really trade a lot of FPS, for image clarity.

So - Issues with specifically TAA are widely documented and discussed. And from this there have been plenty of improvements.

Unfortunally it seems that TAA is just not suited, and never has been, especially for something like a racing game / sim with fast moving objects and scenes.

Recently, Nvidia have started rolling out DLSS 2.0, and the results are very impressive.
    Forget all about the original implementation which was absolutely garbage, this seemingly actually works, and from testing it myself, it works well in the few titles it has been implemented in.

Even though you (Kunos) cancelled the implementation of Ray-tracing, I hope that this technology is on the horizon for DLSS. Promising better image clarity, at high frame rates, almost sound too good to be true, but it really is true.

I'd love to hear from the devs, what their own thoughts are on the current state of sharpness in ACC, and if DLSS is something that they're currently considering to add to the 'todo'.

For anyone interessted in learning more about it, there're plenty of articles out there talking about the new version of DLSS.

A good place to start, with a longer video format is right here:

Cheers

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Hardware Discussions FSR 2.1 and DLSS 3.0+ ( WHY MY THREAD IS LOCKED??? ))) Mar 22, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions DLDSR/DLSS as alternative to TAA Dec 21, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions DLSS 3.0 for RTX 40 Series Oct 5, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality Dlss 2.3.9 is the best experience so far [Not recommended] Apr 15, 2022
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Blured cars in 100-200 m distance [DLSS/TAA ghosting] Mar 25, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds FSR/DLSS and Projection Correction? Jan 11, 2022
    ACC User Interface DLSS and resolution scale to 150% possible? Jan 7, 2022
    Bug reports DLSS not working Nov 28, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality Manual Update to DLSS 2.3 possible [Not recommended] Nov 25, 2021
    ACC User Interface DLSS Problem. Image Scalingis missing [DLSS and IS are two different things] Nov 24, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality DLSS puts an end to engines.ini workarounds. Nov 17, 2021
    ACC Hardware Discussions New Nvidia Driver add DLSS to ACC Nov 16, 2021
    ACC General Discussions DLSS support for Assetto Corsa Competizione Aug 24, 2021
    ACC General Discussions Nvidia DLSS UE4 plugin avaiable now! Accattatavill! Feb 13, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality DLSS for VR Sep 3, 2020

3. Coanda

Coanda Alien

4. XzzDSA

XzzDSA Racer

Well, hopefully it will actually make TAA not actually useless. But I don't think it'll be relevant once DLSS is more widely available. The difference in quality is neglagable (visible, but arguably a very minor improvement) and the performance cost is a lot. Introducing Ray-tracing as a method of cleaning up the ****-stains that TAA leaves behind, sounds like a terrible and not very inefficient way of dealing with it.

EDIT:
    Ontop of that, claiming that it'll stay within "33 ms frame budget" is useless. You know what 33ms is? 30 fps.. 16ms = 60 fps.

And arguably, we actually want way higher framerates than 60...

EDIT 2:
    Moved on a little bit since the publication of the article you linked:
    https://news.developer.nvidia.com/understanding-the-need-for-adaptive-temporal-antialiasing/

Seemingly it can introduce much higher fidelity than what TAA currently can, while staying with a 16ms frame budget.
    Interessting for those PC's that can power through that and give a proper experience, I can see someone running this over DLSS. But personally, I'd take the FPS gain of 20-100% (depending on the resolution) of DLSS.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  5. XzzDSA

XzzDSA Racer

DELETE

6. Coanda

Coanda Alien

... a little more info on ATAA. Sorry I didn't mean to hijack your thread.. either way it looks like a solution is on the horizon.. :)

7. Rudski

Rudski Alien

I don't think this is a good idea once you think about it, TAA runs on every video card, DLSS 2.0 will require an RTX card, if I understand how it works correctly.

Therefore, there is little improvement from Kunos point of view because most of their customers won't be able to access any new work carried out implementing DLSS into ACC, even if they did implement it, which is questionable because it may require them using a different branch and hence possibly break stuff to do all that for probably ~5% of the customer base isn't worth it.

Note: I'm not a developer or have any experience with the Unreal engine so my guess on the branch stuff might be wildly inaccurate :)

anthonylroy, Freddie Seng and AndyK70 like this.
  8. anthonylroy

anthonylroy Hardcore Simmer

This is a really good point. I believe this type of technology which requires a specific patented card type from a specific manufacturer. will not be implemented until its available on all cards

9. DLSS was part of the reason I chose a 2080 over a 1080Ti, I would love to see it implemented, it’s not present in a single game I play:(

TheBoss likes this.
  10. XzzDSA

XzzDSA Racer

They proved they were willing to go there when ACC was first announced.

But if you're only implementing technology that everyone can run, you would not have ACC.
    It's running Unreal Engine and even though ACC has seen many improvements, it's still a pretty far cry from running on any kind of system.

And to be fair, we're talking about implementing an additional Anti-Aliasing method. It is not uncommon for developers to implement technologies that are unique to one brand/series.

At the end of the day you have two card suppliers(maybe three in a few years if we're lucky), and RTX is only gonna get bigger.

11. houssen

houssen Racer

12. Ale Robles

Ale Robles Racer

Brado23, Zainuluk, TheBoss and 5 others like this.
  13. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

Why are you directing it to VR performance only? ACC lacks performance even on a single screen.
    And why implement a thing for Nvidia users only?

14. Ale Robles

Ale Robles Racer

ACC VR performance is even worse than single screen, need more help of development...

Because its a Nvidia technology...

15. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Simracer

Would love to see this implemented to help VR, but most of the users I know run TAA in VR to get the better clarity so i'm not sure if this helps. It looks to me like it only works with TAA which isn't ideal for VR at the moment.

16. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

Maybe I wasn't clear enough.
    Covering symptoms with a bandage does not help to eliminate the cause.

And of course it is a nvidia technology only for nvidia users... you missed the point: Why implementing a new technology into a game where not all of the gamers will benefit from. It takes a huge amount of time and there will be loads of gamers still complaining because they do not run the game with a nvidia card or maybe a graphics card (i.E. 9xx/10xx) which is not capable of running DLSS.
    If it were planed right from the beginning it would make sense to have a new technology to advertise this game but afterwards it's not worth the effort.

17. Ale Robles

Ale Robles Racer

You right, but... Kunos couldn't improve performance (in VR) since ACC came out, if there is a way...

18. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

...all players should benefit, shouldn't they?

19. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Alien

The argument that is for all or none is completely invalid, to say the very least.

Just keep the following in mind as a mere example: I don't have an HDR monitor, so, by your reason of thought, I should oppose to HDR implementation (since v1.2, not from begining) and Kunos should not have made the effort to add it.
    Obviously this would be a preposterous position about HDR and the same can be said about any other added technology support that Kunos may conceive to implement.

Finally, Kunos didn't made any announcement, or said a word of any kind, about DLSS.

Brado23, FX2K, chksix and 4 others like this.
  20. houssen

houssen Racer

I think that any new technology should be implemented, you can use it or not
    we must add not subtract

Ale Robles likes this.
  21. Rudski

Rudski Alien

I think it's more of a question of resources, do you pull dev time from implementing other features or fixes or do you use that limited resource to implement a hardware specific technology.

If they add other features we all get to use them.
    If they fix stuff we all benefit.
    If they implement hardware specific features only those players who have the hardware will benefit.

Add it to the list of stuff to do but priority will always dictate what comes first.

Freddie Seng and AndyK70 like this.