1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Damage model

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Darkkis, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Is tire flatspotting actually visible on the tyre? I havent had much time with 1.0 yet but I didnt get to see flat spots on wheels yet.

2. ddb001

ddb001 Rookie

I love the new damage model in assetto corsa but i think it should be harder depending on difficulty level...
    on pro difficulty i would like to see realistic damage. hit a wall head on at 50+ km/h and your car is trashed. and you are out of the race.
    what do you guys think ?

and i to did not see any visual flat spotting but if you are driving you should not be looking to much at your tires but at the road in front of you ;)

3. MaRcIu

MaRcIu Gamer

I think it's not visible but it feels on the wheel. try to brake without abs a few times and you'll notice.

4. Darkkis

Darkkis Racer

It really depends on the car I guess then. With Exos for example, you cannot damage the suspension and I've tried so many times. I guess this is because this damage model requires direct hit to the part to take damage. Exos obviously has front wing which collides to wall first, so it's impossible to damage the suspension. Or idk it's because of this but it seems to be. And this is evident in other cars as well. If you go 300km/h to the wall bumper first, then you don't damage any other part except your front (which counts for nothing). So yeah much improvement needed.

So all in all

+ Visual damage
    + Axel damage makes car undrivable so it's cool

- Engine damage counts for nothing
    - Aero (front, rear) damage counts for nothing
    - You need direct impact to damage anything

5. VeRDe

VeRDe Racer

In reality its exactly the opposite. There is absolutely no restriction on the damage.

5 days ago a Kunos developer gave interview on "Inside Sim Racing" stating exactly that about damage model.

6. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

I really like the new damage .... it's not perfect for sure, but it's good enough, and it definitely makes the cars more alive, .. vibrating hoods, bumpers .. really cool,
    all the additional glass shards ( noticed them also on lights on E30 )

cooknn likes this.
  7. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

this has been answered few times ( once in this very thread)
    it's the car licensing that doesn't allow you to do that,

you only see huge damage in games where they don't use real cars , like GTA, Flatout, Burnout etc. but racing games with real cars are usually very limited, ...

some games could have it done better, other worse.

NFS rivals was one of the best from my recently played games, .. but you can notice that the cars are far from being totalled
    that being said, they have all the additional bits that would love to see in AC .. and clearly it's not far off,

- possibility to lose body parts ( mirrors, bumpers, wheels?)
    - warping/animation on the mesh, not just normal map bump ( this might be more work )

AC uses very similar technique! so it should be doable

8. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

and that mis-information has been corrected multiple times too, as was stated in the interview there's no restriction on damage from the manufacturers, only that there's no blood, gore and people getting decapitated

Mogster and Michael Hornbuckle like this.
  9. Darkkis

Darkkis Racer

It has been answered also that this car licensing restriction is bull****. Read previous post before yours, for example.....

10. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

just if it was case for Kunos for cars they negotiated , it doens't mean that it's BS

I was negotiating licenses with Volkswagen, Renault, Skoda, and they did have restrictions about how much damage to the car can be done,
    - the cabin area where driver is sitting was forbidden to have any deformation,
    - windows (front and side) couldn't shatter /fall out
    - wheels had to stay on car

so please get some facts before you can start throwing BS around

11. Darkkis

Darkkis Racer

So, if it's not the case for kunos' licences, then what's the problem? Afterall it was you who threw this claim that Kunos can't implement dynamic damage because of the licenses, and there is this interview with Stefano where he said there's no such restrictions.

12. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

I thought we were talking about damage in AC rather than other games?

have you even watched the interview?

Xenix and nate like this.
  13. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

I never said Kunos ;)

my post was in response to
    Chompster.netdip, who also never said Kunos, but said Developer, .. generally speaking,

in Kunos has no restriction at all from manufacturers, then its' only about what they want to do , so maybe they want to keep it simple and focus on other aspects

14. ddb001

ddb001 Rookie

i agree that damage can be kept simple, the system that is in place now is pretty solid.
    it does however needs some work so damage is not applied to 1 part only in a collision.
    and i think that on Pro difficulty the "internal non visual" damage should be much more if you put it in the wall at high speed...
    i don't find it realistic that you can crash at 200+ kph and just reverse and continue driving. :D
    The option to disable or minimize damage can be kept on pro difficulty imho but i would also like a simulation option with realistic damage values.

Mogster likes this.
  15. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

the development usually works in a way that you first include the feature and then tweak it,
    the aim was to release AC feature complete, and damage is now in,

now they can start tweaking it to get it better (or worse) , or just leave it,

I was exploring the damage a lot yesterday , pretty much the only thing I was doing with 1RC, since to me that's interesting part and something new that I will have to work on as well, so I wanted to see how it works and how I can replicate it,

yes, if you hit wall at 200kph, your car shouldn't be able to drive anymore
    if it does, it can be to multiple factors, and it's about the tweaking of the parameters, to get it working

for me, the focus of the devs should be the sound though, becasue 1RC made all the modded cars silent, and that's imo the biggest impact that they should look into fixing,

ddb001 likes this.
  16. Bit far fetched. You don't know how every game does it, and in most cases what i said is reality. That AC got special privileges to do so, awesome, but most other racing games that use real cars aren't allow to show excessive amounts of damage.

Patrik Marek likes this.
  17. mangal

mangal Hardcore Simmer

That would be a stronger argument if Stefano himself in that 30 min interview hadn't called that out as a myth, and that the only thing they shouldn't do is blood and decapitations. But no restrictions on normal wrecking.

18. Sli

Sli Racer

Yeah I wish it was a lot more sensitive. Crashing even at moderate speeds, and not even head on causes pain to any car.

19. cooknn

cooknn Alien

It's now possible to hide the damage icons completely. If you're interested, just edit damage_displayer.ini in your Documents and change the coordinates to 1000/-1000.

20. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

would be great if it had icon , same as all the other apps
    It won't be such a bad think if it was way smaller I suppose