1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Some thoughts from Marco Massarutto

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Michael Hornbuckle, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Dennis S.

Dennis S. Racer

If you can't hype a Ferrari or laserscanned Nordschleife then there is exactly nothing in simracing you can hype... The announcement was just fine and well worth it! thanks Kunos!

2. Remember that those who complain are not the majority, true simracer or racing lover know what Nordschleife is all about. Doing one lap in real is last i heard 24 € and the track in real is having financial trouble.

Now the way the announcement has been done was missleading and people expected something, not an announcement, personnaly i thought it was multiplayer available.
    Anyway i love you guys for what you're doing and keep doin what you're doin with this software. I waited a long time for a sim like AC to buy a rig and now that's all i'm thinking about.

Next time don't say nothing, and release it in silence when it's done, you'll only hear the thru sastified people.

If i could ask for somethings to get updated right now is a better daylight sky as it is the only thing that doesn't match the quality of the rest of content, it looks stretch and not hr resolution.

About content well Ferrari, Pagani, Mclaren hum that's plenty already but a Lamborghini would be awesome for me. And when i see this : http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/2014/top-2014-ABT-Audi-RS5-R.html
    I'd like to have it with the Nordschleife ;)

For tracks, well Le Mans is my second favorite track but they probably will ask too much money for the license ^^

Anyway i love you guys for what you're doing and i wish you a happy 2014 !

3. Bubba Kush

Bubba Kush Rookie

I think the majority of the hate from the announcement has come from the new people that have heard from others how good AC is and have gone out to buy a wheel. They have no real background in racing sims , they might come from GT6 or other EA type 'sims' and just expect everything for nothing and today. Generation Y & Z people.....

The guys who are from iracing understand that doing these things take time and are more patient.

So Kunos should be happy that they have got alot of new customers from word of mouth. They have done a good job marketing with a small team.

4. Bubba Kush

Bubba Kush Rookie

And i for one am really looking forward to do a lazy drive on the Nord , no rush , no pressure. A nice sunday drive if I like or go ahead and drive it like i stole it!

5. AosudiF1

AosudiF1 Gamer

Well, I was into AC from the get go. The latest announcement I did not like particularly - Too much hype

Having a guy that speaks so frankly is refreshing and a nice reminder of what kunos is all about. And i am all for it.

Bring it on kunos best simulation company out there for miles and miles. And the one with the most "myth".

This is like pagani, making the best products, with all the passion and magic the big ones lost a long time ago

6. Bubba Kush

Bubba Kush Rookie

The hype came from the community though. I don't get this 'Too much hype' a simple graphic displaying a number , and a picture of the world with times is not creating hype it's creating interest.

7. hi Marco, i'm following and reading your posts since decades by now :) and i always agreed with your words and POV.
    imho i don't see errors, a news has been anticipated, then the news has been released. i don't call this hype, i really call this normality.
    thank you for your works and keep it on this way.

8. nasanu

nasanu Gamer

One thing scares me greatly about what he said. User generated content is greatly holding back PC racing sims but he is holding it up as some saving grace of the game. Sure the community thinks its awesome, but this community measures at best in the thousands and active player bases for most PC sims are only in the hundreds. Take away the crap that they think is great and the audience could measure in the tens or hundreds of thousands.

Assetto Corsa should be great and has the potential to be. But the moment you place any sane person with 2014 era expectations of an online racing experience in front of a 90's era online client full of server names instead of a list of races then can enter you are drastically limiting your audience. It gets worse when they try to enter a race only to be told they don't have some 'mod' someone hacked together. If you are going down the 'let users make the game for us' path then provide infrastructure for it. Have all mods submitted to you for quality assurance (because I know my opinion of games like rFactor are spoiled when I install a mod to race and find out the graphics are from the simpsons and the physics are from ridge racer, putting crap in front of the public is not good for anyone), then host the mods on YOUR servers so I don't have to spend hours googling to find some obscure file hidden in a forest of 404 errors. The install process should be a in game and nothing more than a click or two. Do it right or not at all. It is more work but everyone would win in the end and I am very sure hundreds of users would put their hands up to do QA checks on mods for you for free. The cost to you is basically just coding and a minor hosting cost. Considering the benefits of all the content you get for free, its a small price to pay isn't it?

But I am pretty sure such logic will fall on def ears consider the dire state of all other PC sims in this regard. It is almost like people think that the worse the UI, the harder it is for a user to get into a race the better the sim.

bellybuttonpoke likes this.
  9. 3316V

3316V Alien

Using Steam workshop for mods, or better, integrating a mods browser in the game should be the way to go.

10. @nasanu I don't think Kunos will host the mods because they need to stay as far from them as possible (because of legal reasons)

I don't understand the reasoning behind having somebody else tell you if a mod is good or not....are we really that lazy that downloading a file (I will agree that some of these mod files are hard to find) loading up the game and spending a couple minutes of your precious time to see for yourself if you like the mod or not is alot to ask. If you like it, share it....if you don't, delete it.....not hard at all. If I had spent months making my first mod and it got submitted to Kunos or some third party rating system and it was deemed to be not worth and not allowed to be used I would be gutted and would have to think long and hard about if I wanted to try again.

When mods come out and you try them and don't like them, send a message to the modder explaining more than "your mod is ****, go kill yourself". Leave constructive criticism of why you didn't like the mod and what you feel it needs to be at a better standard..

Just my two cents.

11. djadlib

djadlib Gamer

Excellent read. Thanks for putting it up here.
    And to Mr Marco: Thank you for so clearly explaining what work and efforts the devellopers have gone through and still are going through to make AC the best racing sim available. Now go and enjoy the 2nd day of Christmas with your family (if they still know what you look like that is) instead of having to reply to some jokers who want to see a (f.e.) Austin Allegro ingame racing on the dirt track they have in their backyard.
    I'll see you at the Ring in spring (can you provide the Ferrari 458s ;) )

12. pmc40

pmc40 Gamer

Awesome post Marco, wi you guys all they way :)

13. geololj

geololj Gamer

Respect to Kunos for being so close to their fans. I really appreciate all the hard work you do guys and let me tell you that you are 100% spot on on everything you have done. Merry Christmas Kunos and everyone :)

14. nasanu

nasanu Gamer

And this is why PC sim racing is so rubbish. You need to keep the crap out of circulation. Quality control is a good thing, how do people not see that? Let people run their private servers if they want with whatever crap they wish, but keep the official online client free of inferior content. You dismiss very bad UI design just by calling users lazy... That is insane. So I don't want to have to exit a game, search the internet, hunt down passwords, missing files and installation instructions then relaunch a game just to see if a mod is worth playing or not... That is not being lazy, that is just wanting to play a finished product.

Its high time people expected more. With the level of physics simulation PD get out of the PS3 with GT6 (which matches AC in terms of suspension and tyre modeling, fails miserably some other areas though, but its potentially only a single patch away from perfection...) there will come a day soon when the best physics will be on consoles. When that day comes why will anyone bother with these rubbish multiplayer systems, unfinished games, dodgy graphics and absolutely amateur UIs? The only thing saving PC racing is physics as it stands. Either PC devs can drastically up their game or die. That is how I see it. And at this rate I can only see them dying. Shame.

15. nasanu

nasanu Gamer

AC needs to be as slick as possible, have as low a barrier to entry as possible. Make the online as noob friendly as possible. This does not mean dumbing down either. Keep all the advanced options. just dont be so stupid with them. Dont ever makes users adjust 'wheel gamma' or 'shadow faces'.. WTF is that? Leave those options in but FFS, use your brain in naming them. Give a description that makes some sense. Group online races by... RACES! Not meaningless servers. Normal users should never have to select servers, this should be invisible (but allow people to dig into settings to see such things if they are stuck in the past). When I get online I want to race so I want to look for races to enter. What I am certainly not looking for are servers, WTF do I care about them? Anyone who does not know what I am talking about then jump into a console racer made in the past decade. You can instantly find the kind of race you are looking for and there is no reason AC shouldn't be the same.

If you do this, get the UI right, keep the crap content out and present a great view of the game to first time players the player base will explode I guarantee it. But stick to the old ways and you will be stuck with the same old player base.

16. FerrariMan96

FerrariMan96 Racer

Agree with everything written in the OP ;)

17. Bill

Bill Gamer

I haven't had Assetto Corsa for more than a few weeks and I'm already more than grateful for what's available so early. Not just that, but from everything I've read about what's planning to be in 1.0, I'm thrilled. Kunos is doing an incredible job far beyond what the majority of almost every other game developer has that I've seen in the past year or two. I applaud them in anything they decide to do at this point :)

18. @nasanu We apparently have vastly different views then. In your world the sky is falling and in mine it is not.....This is how simple it is; don't download any mods....do you really think that every person in every server is going to be using a mod that is password protected in some obscure corner of the internet? To me lazy is wanting to play with mods but not willing to spend a few seconds to download and try a mod for yourself to check its quality....

Sounds to me that you have been playing RF2 (which does have the worst online component ever).

I think I would prefer to be stuck with the old player base if the new player base is so braindead that they need their hand held in order to do anything....You don't understand "wheel gamma or shadow faces" how about spending a few freaking seconds doing a search in the forums or at worst a Google search FFS. Is spending a few minutes educating yourself on something you don't understand really that difficult of a concept to understand for your generation?

You are complaining about a feature that isn't included yet and we have no idea how it will be set up but you are already worried that your hand won't be held the entire time and you might have to spark up a handful of brain cells to figure out how to do something.

toffytofik, Tucker73, G.B.H. and 5 others like this.
  19. Thanks for putting Marco Massarutto's post from Race Department up here Michael.
    I agree with what Marco wrote in a very calm, friendly and easily understandable manner.
    Thank you for that Marco. :)

20. Masternick13

Masternick13 Gamer

He makes retarded posts on other forums to, he can't work out the basics of online play, needs a quick match feature or its just to hard for him, he also complains about planned DLC in AC.

toffytofik likes this.