1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Oh really? Open letter to the community, this time from a dev...?!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Aristotelis, Aug 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arch

Arch Alien

@f_deutsch

Exactly.

I nearly 100% learned all of my more advanced physics knowledge without anyone teaching me and got to where I am, and that was hard with a lot of time having to be invested.

Getting to where I am in driving has taken far longer, been far more painful and I've spent far more time not knowing how anything works, just because there's nearly no usable data out there!

What information there is on the internet about driving, that can be found easily, is very simplistic and will not get you to a high level: most of the things you need to find out yourself. Information in books like Speed Secrets is better, but still not exactly advanced. To add to it, most of the info on the net is written by complete amateurs who are quite slow. So one is nearly completely relying on videos, books and word of mouth to find info outside of doing it yourself which has been proven to not exactly make you a champion driver.

What if we had a wiki or something like @nonnex suggests, so that we can compile it all into one place? I think that is what Aris was trying to do with his Flying Pig website thing.

Don't get me wrong: seat time is important.

The problem is that you can, and most people do, keep repeating the same mistakes over and over and think you're reached your current limit or even your absolute limit. Without proper discussion and questioning of the very details of driving down to the invisible functions happening at the contact patch, you can't expand your mind as a driver.

Lazybug likes this.
  2. Pascalwb

Pascalwb Hardcore Simmer

I think most people just want to race instead of making setups. I wish there was more threads with setup discussion because I'm terrible at that.

Maybe if there was some documentation about every car and how to drive it best.

3. rafikens1000

rafikens1000 Racer

I am new here. Yesterday I ve tried to find some info about setups (after reading again tips about camber etc), maybe some videos with good clean laps to learn something. And I found almost nothing. I thought, "Maybe I should pratice more and these secrets are not for public. Everybody has their own way to make good times". It was strange for me (I know that this game has a couple of years) and started looking for using google : "nurburgring gp setups tyre pressure assetto corsa". TBH AC for me is for driving street cars. I always dreamt about driving a ferrari on monza, nurburgring while being at home, after work. Ive driven in rl mercedes sls and it was... no words for that. So I was so surprised looking at this forum, which made me think that here are only semi pro and pro sim/rl racing drivers who loves only gt3, gt2 and formula cars.

For me, there is a lack of posts about for example driving m3 at nurburgring. Such an amazing car and track! Cant be borring to race that way for a couple of months!

Horst1 likes this.
  4. yusupov

yusupov Alien

iirc we got this with the yellowbird. not sure if there are others but it would surprise me if not :) i know for sure he gave a separate setup on the forum for 'safe' (sane?) driving.

and i second the opinion, it would be cool to have aris setups included as options when there are some he's particularly fond of.

also on this topic, i believe i remember stefano saying during one of his streams that he was trying to hold aris back on the s1 cars. i dont recall his logic or if he gave it, but i dont approve! would love to see a modified gt86 for example. :)

5. Niki Đaković

Niki Đaković Hardcore Simmer

I demand Setup tips and analysis by Aris subforum. Like I'd like to know why more bump then rebound in setup works better then vice versa sometimes. So Aris the godfather of this place of chocolate chips helps. Sounds good to me.

No I think its maybe slightly embarrassing to make a thread with that sort of asks. After all this forum is a crowded place. And also making a thread to help with driving also can backfire hard and with most guys not knowing who they're talking to tend to just go on attack in a way who you are. So I think this is why matters of this delicate sort are done more privately as they are.

6. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

I havent read snything but your post aris so appologies if this has slready been said..

I think half of the reason nobody talks about setups is because the sim is always changing, take the new patch for example, all my setups are now pretty useless, so while its constantly changing i fear your not going to get them kinds of threads appearing.

Peter Burke and nate like this.
  7. Ethan Dean

Ethan Dean Hardcore Simmer

Interesting about the road cars and pressures/cambers. Truth be told, the only car I've spent a lot of time setting up in any great depth is the MP4-12C GT3 for muh leaderboarding (sitting fourth in the Pro Rank right now, really must get back at it when I have the time :confused:). Whenever I do drive a road car (which is fairly frequently) I just take it "as is". Will definitely have a play about with it now though.

8. Jimmy2x2x

Jimmy2x2x Gamer

If this information was in game, it could possibly be unlocked for groups of cars through the career mode - give you an incentive to play through.

Michael Hornbuckle likes this.
  9. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Why?

I mean, what happens physically, and why do I use less camber on high powered RWDs?
    And the other way round, less negative rear camber does this lift-off-oversteer? I really love it, but never figured out how to enhance it.

Edit:
    Lol 2/2 camber spelling

10. f_deutsch

f_deutsch Hardcore Simmer

I think it would be too much information to include inside the sim. Also, setup configuration is high dependant of you driving style, so is not just as simple as explain how things works. Usually discussing about certain topics on the forum will provide more information than just a simple recipy to follow.

Jaye likes this.
  11. Cuthere

Cuthere Racer

I reply to my post!! Haha ! I have an idea.. In the box gui we shoud get some advice to make a good setup linked with the trucks. Those advices should be written into a description of trucks. I mean.. For example in monza... We could read about change the gear ratio, lower the car high, change the pressure of tires and stuff like this. Advices about how to get good setup in a specific truck. Then would be nice also get a different gui of setup. I'm not a big fun about it. But i wait to see new gui of ps4. And also nice get some "warning message" if we put some value in setup totally wrong!

12. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

I don't think that alone is the issue, take iRacing, every season the old setups become obsolete and yet people don't mind doing new ones over and over again. I know the whole online model of iR depends on racing but sure it shouldn't discourage people here either. It's actually a good thing, means there is improvement in the very core of the game.

13. f_deutsch

f_deutsch Hardcore Simmer

@Arch totally agree with you.

Some of the internet info and books gives the basis, even as I found it to be very complete, it will not replace seat time on the simulator.

Something that is really important is that you have to "feel" the diference on what the setup does to your car and the only way to achieve that feeling is by pumping hours of driving on the sim. But not just simple driving, you have to properly drive the car. It is very important to be consistent on the laps you do in order to realize if the change you apply did exactly what you are looking for. Also, one change at the time.

[RRRV] JuggernAlz likes this.
  14. SuperBobKing

SuperBobKing Racer

I'm not an expert but I think I know the answer to this.

Less rear camber on high power RWD cars helps put down that power. Having that extra power shifts the ideal balance between mid-turn and longitudinal grip, and bringing camber closer to zero accounts for it.
    Moving negative camber further from 0 helps reduce lift-off over-steer because of the additional mid-turn grip. So bringing camber closer to zero increases it because of less grip.
    If your camber value is too extreme you could end up lowering both longitudinal and lateral grip by making it even more negative (like stanced cars) but I don't know if it is possible to get camber that high in this game.

snyperal and Minolin like this.
  15. pmc

pmc Hardcore Simmer

like alot have already said we need a section for setups n general talk about how to improve your race , eh cant find the word lol, too many threads are just a slagging off fest cos you say something they dont agree with in majority of chit chat threads. look at the post you made aris, how constructive it was, no b i t c h i n at all

16. Nao

Nao Alien

Not an alien so i'll attack with force :D (also this thread is about discussions - i'm trying to follow on that, to show that there is stuff to discuss and not really intend on arguing against your post.)

There are several problems with lowering pressure for road tyres (talking AC only, not irl).
    1) For most cars semislick tyres have lower operating pressure than corresponding street tyres, and since the cars start on semis, the default pressures are "safe-high-good" for them and that results in already low enough pressures for streets (sometimes too low actually).
    2) Cases of light cars on slow tracks or cold temperatures - in such cases running lower pressures not only never brings tyre inflation to optimum but the tyres will still be cold enough to loose grip from suboptimal temps. For example X-bow at Magione, - rising pressures increases grip for that combo, even thou the tyres will be even farther from optimal temps.
    3) Last but probably most important part of why low pressures can be no-good sometimes: drivability - when they bite it's good but under high loads and rapid load changes they loose grip and make the car unstable.
    For example i prefer running relatively high pressures at Nords to have better traction and high speed direction change stability - gaining more time from confidence than i loose from suboptimal grip (plus it helps on straights and with overheating).

These kind of more indeapth discussions about cars and driving in general did pop up in several "help me threads" so it's not like they are absent from the forums, but in general they are kind of "off topic" to both the thread itself, and "support" forum idea.
    Idk... if you guys (devs) don't want new subforums (which is understandable) maybe allowing for several new sticky threads in chit chat would be a good middle ground. For example: "Setup discussion", "Car/Track combos thread" , "quick question - quick answer". We already have one (Things you need to know in Assetto Corsa) - but it's too general to spawn interesting discussions.

Also a personal opinion on OP topic: One of the reasons there is no active sim/driving discussions i think is because of lack of "clear focus" of the sim itself - the player base is relatively wide, everybody focusing on something else, different game modes, car types, approach to mod content etc, and the one common thing that's great about this sim the "driving feeling" is so much subjective, hardware and skill related that it's very hard for people to find a common ground on it. And so we unite only on the lowest common denominator, and that is whining :p.

Maybe if we had something, (a specific mode, combo, achievements etc) that almost all players would go through, there would definitely be a discussion about it (including the important part of playerbase - the fresh players), and it would be much easier to spawn side topics related to driving, setups etc based on that >something<. This is one of the reasons for partially limiting entry content, or to have a more on the rails base experience in many open games (from game design standpoint).

17. Sadly this thread is also turning into a feature request :D . Ya we should TOTALLY write a book about setups, and TOTALLY write an artificial intelligence race engineer that will read your mind and guess why you are 3 seconds off the pace without hurting your feelings of course.. it MUST be the setup! It's always the setup.

But hey.. hear this out, people can't be bothered to learn about cars but they do feel entitled to ask for PROPER BRAKE FADING! yeaaaaa I can't add, but please do add more integrals to my lesson because some other dude on the interwebz says integrals are a MUST!!!!!

meh.. bleah.. depressing really

18. Brake fade would be nice tho.

:p

Pascalwb, Nahkamarakatti and martcerv like this.
  19. and it'll come, and, with it.. the inevitable horde of people complaining "eh.. I don't feel the car anymore during braking!!!!"... what have they done??? It was PERFECT before... meh.. bleah.. totally depressed.

donShere, GRFOCO, bondyboy and 21 others like this.
  20. At least we aren't getting people complaining about the Safety Rating or iRating on here, just be glad of that :D