1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Let's play Game Designer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by stefanoCasillo, Apr 2, 2016.

?

If YOU were the AC Lead Designer, what would be your #1 priority for next update?

Poll closed Apr 9, 2016.
  1. Brake temp simulation

846 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. VR support

1,195 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Steer ratio/brake pressure setup adjustments

236 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. False starts/Engine stall

932 vote(s)
    19.5%
  5. Custom championships

368 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Possibility to change skin in "Pickup Mode"

124 vote(s)
    2.6%
  7. Sparks/Flashing lights

205 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. Improved water/radiators interaction and simulation

221 vote(s)
    4.6%
  9. Time based races

217 vote(s)
    4.5%
  10. Pit stop strategy

457 vote(s)
    9.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

I have shown VR to a few people (3 adults, 3 kids between 13-16), mainly AC (back in the day) and Project Cars.
    Only 2 have got motion sick (both adults), but they only played for 5 mins and neither were gamers.
    I don't get motion sickness in these racing games, but put me in a first person (like Alien) and I am reaching for the bucket in no time.

I guess its like getting sick when in a real car, would you not go in one again or would you keep getting in until you get used to it.
    You may need to find your 'VR legs', which may come straight away (or you may never find them), but its not as widespread as people make it out to be.

2. Mike1304

Mike1304 Alien

This and the fact that you need very high FPS and zero latency from technical point of view...

Seria17hri11er and Cote Dazur like this.
  3. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Trying VR before buying is a wise approach - no arguing with that point. VR is expensive; it's generally agreed although, relative for some but, please - don't judge VR by watching videos of any game in VR and think you know what it's like. I guaranty that you would be very wrong. Look at it this way: VR can make even lame games fun! It really can and I've played games I wouldn't normally touch over and over again, and over again some more because VR can be so immersive. No 2D representation of VR can do it justice. Heck, even Lucky's tale is fun in VR and there is no way I would touch such a game without VR.:eek:

Yes, most VR games now are basic, simple or even primitive by today's standard but, that's all the better reason to showcase the technology using a title like AC to highlight the potential of Racing-sim's with VR. Racing, flight, and space Sims are ideal for VR right now; we already have amazing controllers, tactile and motion hardware for use with VR. It's Time. ;)

4. Maybe should Lord Kunos add a manual to the next poll how to use it.
    Just for the guys like you. If you don't like an option of the poll vote for an other....
    [​IMG]

Minolin and Berry like this.
  5. pika4u

pika4u Hardcore Simmer

No, it's not.

4K is expensive. Same price of a VR headset, same old thing, just more resolution. Where are the whiners?
    Only one category of people think that a revolution must be cheap and for everyone since its debut on the market.

I have a tip for you!
    Go find this place.

[​IMG]

Mike1304 likes this.
  6. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

That doesn't make sense.
    The member you quoted said 'VR is expensive', to which you replied 'no its not', then said '4k is expensive. same price of a VR headset'.
    So therefore if 4k is expensive and VR is the same price then surely that's expensive too? Or am I missing the obvious (it has been known)?

I think pound/dollar V experience VR is not expensive in comparison to a monitor set up.
    I bet people would have spent far more on a (decent) 3 monitor set up and brackets then people do on VR, and wont have anywhere near the experience as VR brings to the table (but that could be why they dislike it).

Lukimator likes this.
  7. pika4u

pika4u Hardcore Simmer

You're missing the obvious.

Same price for a monitor with higher resolution and the VR revolution.
    I mean, if a pizza costs 3 dollars is cheap, but 3 dollars for a candy makes it expensive.

Got it?

Mike1304 and Thug like this.
  8. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

Which is basically what I wrote at the end of my message when I said pound versus experience it is not expensive in comparison to a 3 monitor set up.

You get a lot more realism for your money with VR than you will ever get with a 3 monitor set up (even 4k).

pika4u likes this.
  9. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Of course, "expensive" is a relative term in the context I used; for some the total cost for a good VR setup is just a drop in the bucket while for most, it may be astronomical. You might change the context and say VR is a bargain for the wealthy, and that may be true enough but, generally speaking - most people are not wealthy by today's standards.

10. Andrex

Andrex Gamer

I personal don't know.
    I "guess", if the brain has no longer visuell conection to the real world you get sick

11. John514

John514 Hardcore Simmer

Can we stop using the term "VR Mob"? Just because some people were overreacting it doesn't mean that all VR users are scumbags. And no, I don't have a VR device!

ZethGAF and Robyn like this.
  12. AWIEN WE

AWIEN WE Rookie

I keep the "VR will fail video" in my archive, we will just laught about it in 2/3 years :D.

Seriously, you talk about the VR mafia but think about the VR Haters Mafia... And I really don't see why anti-vr would be better customers than me.. some speeches I've read here are quite disrespectful to say the least..

You just don't know what you are talking about,

I got a htc vive since April, 6, I've shown it to more than 15 people, and I'm a man that let people do their own advice without spamming them that something is incredible before they try...

The experience leaved near everyone speechless/yelling, no difference if they were young/old/geek, yesterday a girl even cried when trying irrational exuberance demo... I needed to told her to be more quiet to avoid neighborhood distubance (If you can try this one don't miss it, the space is better rendered than in every vr game I've seen ..).

On these ~~15 people only 2 liked racing sims and they just could'nt stop playing project cars (which is actually quite badly optimised for the vive ..). And they were actually GOOD.

A friend that is a terrible driver managed to get a descent control of a lotus 49C after just 1 lap of Nordschleife which thing is impossible with a 2D setup (this said driving the lotus seeing the thin nose and the big wheels in VR is an experience ..).

But I don't want to convince you, you seem all have a solid/well argued advice on the question ;)

However you should maybe be more tolerent and moderate when you're talking with other about something you did'nt even try.

The fact is that today vr racing sims are not as well optimised as native vr supporting games (can't talk about Project Cars with official oculus support .. and live for speed support isn't so bad but the content really lacks ..), you need to find the tracks/cars that are well rendered, change the meteo because every light/color error is deadly in VR, as well as dropping frames.

Even with that, I had my best racing expercience .. in VR with Project Cars and a Sauber in Nordschleife with a htc vive.

In this emergent market there is something to do for audacious developpers, to find what works and what don't in VR, how to improve presence in racing game, etc .. if every studios are working on it there is a good reason for it (like basing their market analysis on more objective parameters than you maybe?). We are in the very beginning but things will accelerate, HTC just anounced a 100 000 000 dollars investment found (see: http://fortune.com/2016/04/26/htc-100-million-virtual-reality-startup/), in october sony will bring VR to less fortunates will playstation VR and driveclub VR ..

You are (VR haters) talking about the past because we should expect a VR support for Assetto, and the question is more, will the best racing game in the world have the best VR support?(nobody forces you to take part of this discussion).

I think it will :

- Because VR is about realism and immersion, and assettos actually has (for me..) the best immersion with monitor.
    - Because assetto is quite low-demanding in term of GPU/CPU, the ratio ressources needed / display quality is in my opinion far higher than the other sims (except Lfs of course).

That's why I'm not hurried to see a VR support, because quality will be a leading factor for success here ..

Jim Layhee, Mike1304 and pika4u like this.
  13. AWIEN WE

AWIEN WE Rookie

Concerning what some call "motion sickness" and regarding experiences of friends who tried the vive and my own experience for 3 week of use:

- noone was sick with roomscale experiences (moving with your legs/ teleporting). I think it's just not possible..

- some people were unconfortable with experiences when you move with the touchpad of the controllers (strafe / forward), ex: hover junkers, windlands.
    In windlands you strafe/move forward/jump winth the controller and you grapple hook with pointing controllers (like spiderman..it's awesome in vr..). Some people didn't even have any sickness with it, a friend tried it for 1st time 2 hours with no problems .. I got myself a bit unconfortable the 1st day, then it took me 2 days more to feel no sickness.

What makes unconfortable is more straffing than going forward (the display moves faster).

- only my GF was unconfortable with racing sim, on live for speed (but not in project cars ...). It was on the karting circuit with a kart (many short turns). You can feel weird when you look on the left or right on the road in live for speed and go rear + turn. In project cars none has felt motion sickness (but I usually have no time for more than 1h30 sessions).

- with flight sim (dcs world) I felt a bit weird in a mirage 2000 flighing over las vegas (loopings etc) the first time I tried, but the game is poorly optimised for vr and framerate isn't so good (around 45/s when you probably need 90 to feel comfortable ..).

I think that there is a slight distorsion (no 1/1 fov?) in Live for speed that make people unconfortable. Also puting the lenses to far away from the eyes can generate some sort of distorsion too. It seems to be very indivudual dependant. Low framerate does'nt help but is not the only factor (lfs is constant 90 fps, project cars has bad framerates but doesn't make sick ..)

Andrex, Dean Ogurek and Mike1304 like this.
  14. Niki Đaković

Niki Đaković Hardcore Simmer

For guys like me...

I genuenly like this option.
    [​IMG]

Go "Possibility to change skin in "Pickup Mode" gogogo. I want you.

15. bomberman[]

bomberman[] Rookie

I wouldn't use that video at all for an impression on VR. That video was highly edited from the source material to create that "VR sucks" narrative. Bombcast guys are very pro VR. And I think that until you actually try one of the current headsets you shouldn't completely dismiss it. VR is incredibly difficult to describe or explain to someone who hasn't tried it. The closest thing to showing you how it is without actually trying it is this video:

16. I really don't have a glue who you're. I've never heard of you in my about 25 years of simracing.
    I'm very grateful that you give me the chance to make up my mind about you.

17. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

The thing is you could make a video showing loads of rubbish PC/PS/Xbox games and then would that make the whole system rubbish too?
    I could create a video showing great games in VR and they still wouldn't show exactly how good it really is.

John514 likes this.
  18. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

I know what VR's potential is. I think it could be really cool for Assetto Corsa -- that video you just linked for me, everything in it looks stupid, in my opinion. The controllers look awful to deal with. At least with Assetto Corsa you're still using your steering wheel and pedals. I have no doubt that VR will someday be the most incredible thing ever. We're no where near that day yet. I understand the thrill of being an early adopter. I've been one with certain things too.

sacredaardvark likes this.
  19. How many more V words do we need in this thread ?

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  20. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

But we are, its here now.
    Why do you say that? Is it because resolution isn't as good as what a monitor is?
    If so then you are looking at it with a narrow mind/eye.
    There are more to great games than eye candy and graphics, being immersed into a game is FAR more important (even more so with sims).

If you lived near me (North East UK) I would let you come round and have a go to see.