1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Anybody with a 6-core CPU (especially Intel)?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Spinelli, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Simracer

If so, have any of you done any tests (with any games) comparing the exact same CPU on 4 cores vs 6 (use ctrl-alt-dlt to change affinity between 4/8 cores/threads and 6/12 cores/threads)? Also, have any of you done the same tests but also comparing Hyperthreading on vs Hyperthreading off?

I got a new CPU, but my build isn't set up yet and I'm really curious about this especially after reading the following review:

HT on VS HT off http://chipreviews.com/main-feature...-limit-6-core-performance-in-battlefield-3/3/

4 cores VS 6 cores http://chipreviews.com/main-feature...-limit-6-core-performance-in-battlefield-3/4/

Very nice difference between the 4-core and 6-core frames per second with a 3930k on Battlefield 3 64-player multiplayer. Also, HT off brings a much better improvement VS being on as well. VERY nice minimum fps using 6 cores combined with HT off relative to the 4 core results.

paulieGTR likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Bug reports Anybody else having trouble with Steam's VR app? Jan 13, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Does anybody know where Fanatec stores its brake settings? Sep 15, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals DDoes anybody know where Fanatec stores its brake settings? Sep 15, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Does anybody drive The Ridge? Jun 19, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Does anybody understand if ps4 will have 1.8 update??? Feb 23, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Anybody use Drive Hub on Series X Feb 9, 2021
    ACC Hardware Discussions Anybody using an i5-3470 Nov 29, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Anybody not having issues? Jun 24, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Anybody willing to share Audi driving experiences? Apr 25, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Anybody using Track Attack with Assetto Corsa? Jul 6, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Has anybody done a Summit Point mod? Apr 25, 2019
    ACC Multiplayer Can't play on multiplayer (Don't see anybody) Nov 25, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Anybody find dash cam easier? Jul 28, 2018
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Anybody knows what will be in the next patch ??? Sep 29, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Anybody agree with me that VR is a huge advantage? Sep 5, 2017

3. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

I have a 6 core and I expect it should show benefits when. AI is out, it sounds like they are extremely CPU intensive at the moment, will check CPU usage graph next time I play

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

paulieGTR likes this.
  4. paulieGTR

paulieGTR Alien

snip...
    I'm interested in this also.:)
    I hope AC will thrive on some HT, of'cos i'll be doing some testing myself, but it would be good to get a headsup. ;)

So Spinelli mafrien'... what rig you sitting with the now and what 'you thinking of for the future, if you don't mind me asking.?? :)

5. Stereo

Stereo Alien

I have a 6 core but don't know how to tell how much AC's using in detail. The highest load I've seen is 47% cpu (which translates to a 100% load on 3 cores, ish) When I set CPU affinity to 2 cores I lose framerate; with 3 to 6 performance is about the same. Maybe it's just not bottlenecked there, I'm not sure.

Did manage to provoke a soft freeze when changing affinities around on the fly... acs.exe didn't crash completely, but got stuck playing a loop of audio.

I don't really keep up with modern games, don't know of any that use more than a single thread otherwise.

paulieGTR likes this.
  6. antz360

antz360 Gamer

Generally coding for multiple threads = hard

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Simracer

Well I used to have the following:

- CPU: Intel I5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz (100% stable at 4.8, but didn't have the cooling for the 1.41v needed for 4.8 GHz)
    - GPU: AMD ASUS HD 7970 Matrix Platinum Edition @ 1170 MHz core / 1650 MHz memory
    -RAM: G.Skill Ripjawz X 8 GB (2 × 4GB, dual channel) @ 1600 MHz, timings 8-8-8-24
    - MB: EVGA P67 FTW
    - Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3, 1 TB.
    - Sedondary Storage: None
    - Soundcard: Auzentech Forte
    - CPU cooling: Coolit Eco A.L.C. CPU water cooler (equivalent to a Corsair H50 or H60), in dual fan push/pull config.
    - Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932

New Build :

- CPU: Intel I7-4930k (Guessing minimum overclock of 4.4 GHz)
    - GPU: AMD ASUS HD 7970 Matrix Platinum Edition @ 1170 MHz core / 1650 MHz memory
    -RAM: G.Skill Ripjawz Z 16 GB (4 × 4GB, quad channel) @ 1866 MHz, timings 8-9-9-24
    - MB: ASUS X79 Sabertooth
    - Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB
    - Sedondary Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3, 1 TB.
    - Soundcard: Auzentech Forte
    - CPU cooling: Swiftech H320
    - Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932

Because of the soundcard on my previous build, my GPU was always running at 8x, this was in PCI-E 2.0 mode as that is all that build supported, and that is equivalent to only 4x PCI-E 3.0. When trying to push lots of AA, a real high rez (triple monitors), and/or multiple GPUs, you really want 16x/PCI-E 3.0, or at the very least 8x/ 3.0.

Once it's all setup in the next few days I will be doing benchmarks comparing all combinations of the 4930k CPU in modes of 4 cores, 6 cores, overclocked, non-overclocked, Hyperthreading on, HT off.

Stay tuned for results.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    paulieGTR likes this.
  8. paulieGTR

paulieGTR Alien

snip...
    Thanks for getting back, + that's a nice rig bud. :)

It'll be really interesting to see to see your bench's. :cool:
    But i think we will need to wait for AI to appear before we see some real results.
    Oh, hehehe... i ain't going anywhere, i'll be sticking around to see the numbers.

Again Spinelli mafrien', great rig there.:)

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Simracer

Thank you :). The most important part to be updated for gaming is the only part I havent updated though yet, the GPU.

I don't think the results will favour 6-core mode much more, if at all, than 4-core mode. I just think most games are MUCH more demanding of GPUs, UNFORTUNATELY, than CPUs. Especially in my case considering the fact that I am only running a single 7970. 2+ 290s or 780s would be much better for attempting to remove the GPU bottleneck in order to let the CPU "breathe" more. I'm still waiting for a quad DisplayPort GPU to come out, like on the 7970 Matrix and Lightning BE models.

Maybe I'll do tests with a very low resolution and no AA in order to remove the GPU bottleneck. We'll see.

EDIT:Forgot to add the following in my rig post

- PSU old and current build: Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 (needed it for when I was trifiring HD 6970s).
    - OS: Old build Windows 7, new build will most likely be Win 8.1

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    paulieGTR likes this.
  10. Ruskyv

Ruskyv Gamer

I have a 6core sandybridge E. Most games run with ease but I especially notice the peformance increase with cpu intensive titles particuly like Arma3. But with assetto corsa I. Getting 100fps steady with everything turned up apart from reflections which I keep at medium, the cube map is set at 2.

I would not go for anything less than what I have now, especially whn e comparing it to friends pcs.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Simracer

Hey Ruskyv, have you done any tests comparing HT off to HT on? Or how about comparing 4 cores to 6 (change the amount of cores used using affinity by pressing ctrl - alt - del, right clicking the program and selecting affinity, then unclick some of the cores)...

12. Ruskyv

Ruskyv Gamer

Hi there.
    No iv not done any further testing by turning of HT ive personaly not seen the need too. The only thing i have done was disable the cpu parking for all the physical cores as ive noticed that win7 64bit would shut down what it thought were unused cores and not bring them back up when opening certain applications and games, this did effect performance however. The affinity i messed around with but got no milage or gains from doing so. The cpu itself is so fast that the only real issue i had was the cpu parking. This also effects all multicore cpus and might be worth checking out.

Hope this helps :)

paulieGTR likes this.
  13. alex72

alex72 Alien

Hi, How did you un-park the cores? Would like to see if that would benefit my 8 core AMD also. :)

Thanks! (and sorry for jumping into your Intel get-together and mess about). :D

paulieGTR likes this.
  14. Ruskyv

Ruskyv Gamer

No problem alex :)
    Im at work at the moment but il dig out the link to the program that use and post back here for you this evening.

15. Jacopo Belbo

Jacopo Belbo Gamer

Hi you all! :)

Anyone of you has already tried to watch what happens with the AI?

I have a big bottleneck with my cpu playing against the AI, and I'm considering a system upgrade expecially for AC. I do not play so often with other games...
    So I have to decide what to buy (amd vs intel...4 vs 8 core) . BTW: i'm considering Intel i5 4570k or the i7 4770k or AMD fx 8350.
    I know, in almost every other game Intel performances are better, but I'm asking only in relation to this game (because of its particular use of the cpu for the physics of the cars).
    I'm interested in knowing expecially how an amd 8 core works with Assetto Corsa.

So my question is: Does Assetto Corsa really make use of more than 4 core (or thread)? Does it use all the 8 cores (or thread) during the game with the AI?
    Could any of you please report this here?

Thank you in advance:)!

...and sorry for my englisho_O

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Simracer

I would go with Intel 4 core

paulieGTR likes this.
  17. paulieGTR

paulieGTR Alien

Hey np's alex and here ya' go mafrien'. :)

Direct Link:
    http://www.coderbag.com/Uploads/Unpark-CPU-App.zip
    Source page:
    http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

Direct Link to v.2 beta:
    http://netserver.cloudapp.net/files/CoreParkingManager.zip
    Source page for V.2 beta:
    http://coderbag.com/Programming-C/CPU-core-parking-manager

Just as an example below:
    battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955064767504726940/‎
    2013 M11 7 - ok guys im running amd 8350 x8 core and since i unparked my cores i am getting double FPS also NO stuttering!!!!! the game is now utilizing all ...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    alex72 likes this.
  18. Jacopo Belbo

Jacopo Belbo Gamer

Yes, thanks:).
    But this does not answear my question...
    Could any of you, please, play against the AI running the task manager/resource monitor in the background, and then have a look to the core usage once quitting the game?
    I'm really interested in knowing if AC use more than 4 core/thread (don't know if it is possible to see this in the task manager with Intel multithread)

For the core un-parking: it is also possible to try it by enabling the High Performance profile in the Control Panel/Power Setting option. With this profile the core parking is disabled by default. So one could test if there is any difference for him (to test, before to use the program that Paulie suggest):).

19. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

I noticed that only 4 threads out of 8 were running near maximum when playing AI (supercars at Silverstone I think).
    I should add that was v0.5.0

paulieGTR likes this.
  20. Jacopo Belbo

Jacopo Belbo Gamer

Thank you very much!
    Very interesting! Now it would be interesting to know what happens with AMD...
    I'm asking because in the Assetto Corsa web page/ Hardware & Software requirements they suggest this:
    Recommended PC requirements:
    Processor: AMD Six-Core CPU, Intel Quad-Core CPU

21. paulieGTR

paulieGTR Alien

HT get's me roughly anywhere from ~15 - +20fps.
    I was running with it last night{(AI Silverstone)Official}, but what i did notice more than anything else was,
    everything just seemed more fluent.

Real hard to explain - not really smoother, just... i don't know, fluent.
    It's the best description i can come up with right now.
    Although saying that, i didn't check TaskManager like bigbawmcgraw did, so i can't comment on usage.

But when you think about it HT we'll say, costs you another ~10ºC, that's like 1½ - 2½fps per ºC.
    I think it's worth it and others that can enable HT should also try it. :)

fwiw... i've not used the core progie yet, but i'll make another bakup of my bios and set defaults appart from ram, and test it.
    to enable

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014