1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Are AC street cars too easy to drive on the limit ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Caleb Mils, Feb 21, 2016.

1. TheBoss

TheBoss Hardcore Simmer

For me AC feels great, but there are things that does not seem right, can be very aggressive and make mistakes is not a waste of time. My best times are to cross or brake locks, there are times it feels strange.

It's one thing I did not go in nkpro, every mistake was paid and everything felt so real, knew exactly what was going to happen, I knew that if released the accelerator the car was going to lose control, I knew it was too late to stop , had a natural feeling as it was surprising.

AC when I lose grip quickly grabs me and does not pose any risk, braking sometimes surprise me, I think I will not be able to stop the car slows and easily ...

Sometimes I think that nkpro was superior in physics, had no such problems of physics at low speed, you could put the car on two wheels without problem, dump, there was no sense that smoke to stop the car ... not as there are things that feel better in a later game created by the same team.

I'm in love with this sim, but there are things that seem strange, I hope you get overcome in the future. I can not wait to try the tires v7.

2. Racing_34

Racing_34 Simracer

fear, this unkwon matter...

AurusCE likes this.
  3. Orne

Orne Alien

Set Nordschleife to green track grip level then put street tyres on the car of your choice. Let me know how that works out for you.. There is also something to be said for not fearing for your life as your drive in a sim vs. real life. Folks panic and overreact in real life. In the sim you just hit ESC and go back to the pits. Something to be said for practice and experience as well.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    AccAkut and vegaguy 5555 like this.
  4. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

I can only wish to be lucky enough to crash on the Nordschleife one day.:)

5. JusTiCe8

JusTiCe8 Racer

I haven't read all the post here but what the OP and some people have forgotten is a critical factor: service done/not done and parts wearing.

Suspensions is commonly under-evaluated in their effect on the overall behaviour, springs and mostly oil tend to loose their properties and suspensions become softer, even not evenly, so cars will become a bit unbalanced with time spent (also when not actually using the car as air humidity and temperature can also take part on the process). This is about every single tiny thing: small lead put on wheels to balance them can go away, nuts can also get loose and create vibrations, brake dust accumulating on the brake pads and brake fluid getting wet lead to softer brakes, motor and/or gearbox oil(s) ageing can create undesirable effect (especially on shifting, becoming less precise or harder), ball bearings loose efficiency with time too, can be even deformed, etc

So even on expensive cars, if service is not seriously done (as opposite to race cars which can be frequently disassembled for a full cleaning and greasing all ball bearings and axles), behaviour tend to degrade more and more which may explain some crashes seen on the videos.

Any simulator cannot fairly simulate every tiny single sand grain responsible of the big machine failure (for instance: leaves on some tracks which can get stuck on the radiator grids and lead to an engine overheating !)

6. Orne

Orne Alien

Bingo!!! I thought the same thing about tyres. Most folks on track day aren't heading out on brand new tyres. They are driving on the same old rubber they drove to the track on. Them being street tyres would be bad enough but worn street tyres.. yikes!

7. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

What 's really sad for these guys is the 49 nice corners they made earlier that we didn't see.

Roble, Rift Racer and Atle Dreier like this.
  8. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Unless they are really worn out (and thus not street legal anymore), it won't make much of a difference. Street tyres are made to last for quite some time and distance.

9. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

That's plain wrong. The difference between a street tire after a few heat cycles is shocking. They can have plenty of thread left, but the tire is near useless due to vulcanization. Thats the largest difference I felt in track vs street tires. With the Toyo R888 you can happily heat cycle them until the thread is worn away and they feel pretty similar once up to temp. For a street tyre that vulcanization just ruins the tire.

Dean Ogurek and Seria17hri11er like this.
  10. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

That might be, but usually street tyres aren't driven to the limit on the street, so they last.

Of course, if you take the tyre to the track and then do 20 laps, it will degrade, but the simple factor that the cars are usually driven on the street and then taken onto the track for 1-2 laps won't be too much of a problem.

11. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

If you drive street tires properly hot, they will severely degrade. I've been on track for a few laps with quite new tires, and after that one session the tires never recovered. Got a set of the same tire that had driven 20.000km and they felt like new.

But, to bring this back on topic, I think street cars are pretty easy to drive on and over the limit, bot in real life, and in the sim. So myanswer to the OP would be "no".

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  12. Snoopy

Snoopy Alien

I've always felt driving and sliding a car in IRL is much easier than in sims. AC is the closes to IRL I've ever experienced.

13. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

With my first "proper" FFB device I took a HUGE step closer to that "natural" feel. I can now slide most cars with natural ease, just like in real life. Sure, some cars still bite, but not because of "wtf" but because "sorry honey, I wasn't treating you right"

14. I'm so glad it doesn't take a $1000+ wheel for me to get that feeling or I would need a different hobby. (I bet it is awesome though)

15. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

That's why he has a paypal button in his signature … :p

Snoopy, mantasisg 2 and AccAkut like this.
  16. Nao

Nao Alien

Yeah! Same here, even with crappy G27 :) ... <shifts eyes> although minutes ago i returned with $1000+ worth of stuff in gaming hardware lol. That 1070 and soon to be triples is not only for simracing, not at all :p:p:p.

17. And here I am wondering if I should spend 300$ on a GPU to replace my 660ti with a crippled fan... That's 300$ that could go on the racecar instead :'(

18. AccAkut

AccAkut Alien

I've driven the Nords, during rain, in a cheapo 90s city car on winter tires - compared to normal street driving there is suddenly so much space around the car :D Got sideways a few times (at laughable speeds), but correcting was easy due to the low speed and all the space around me. Also ofc no traffic.

Still almost caught a 911 until Bergwerk. Than the track started climbing again ;)

19. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

I still got that feeling with my T500, and to a degree with my boys' G25, but the OSW really makes AC shine.

20. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

For those not wanting high-definition FFB, by all means, avoid Direct-drive wheels at all cost; they do tend to accelerate further spending on more and better gear over time. Then again, so do track-days and auto-cross sessions, another aspect of AC simulating RL?:)

As for the Street cars being easier to drive in AC; shouldn't they be? I mean, they are generally designed to be safer, more stable and control-able to suit the average driver. They become more challenging for a time when we are used to driving race-cars and then switching to road-cars but, that's understandable given the differences in performance. Usually, within a few turns, we have adjusted to the differences.