1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

ACC Blog Aris Drives

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Ecnelis, Dec 23, 2019.

1. trutya

trutya Simracer

in raceroom i also can set only diff preload. but will give a go now to test it :)
    in older sims, like in GTR2 there was diff power (and coast), but if i understood correctly in your video, it works the same way?

2. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

No no definitely not. I believe you have some confusion of how diff power, coast and preload works

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. WallyM

WallyM Alien

Think of preload as a force that is always pressing the clutch plates together, so that the differential is locked. You have to apply a certain amount of torque (or turning force) to the clutch plates before you can overcome their friction and they start to slip, and the diff becomes open. The higher the preload, the stronger the clutch plates are being pressed together, and the higher the torque difference needed between the two wheels to break the friction and open the diff.

trutya and EsxPaul like this.
  4. WallyM

WallyM Alien

Power lock indicates how much the clutch plates in the diff are pressed together while you are accelerating. The more pressed together the clutch plates are, the longer the diff is locked for (until the friction of the clutch is overcome).

Coast lock indicates how much the clutch plates in the diff are pressed together while you are decelerating.

Preload indicates how much the clutch plates in the diff are pressed together while you are neither decelerating or decelerating.

trutya and EsxPaul like this.
  5. trutya

trutya Simracer

so what you wrote:
    "diff power" is a force that keeps the diff locked under acceleration, and if the torque overcomes on it the diff opens.
    "diff preload" is a force that keeps the diff locked under acceleration or coasting and if the torque overcomes on it the diff opens.

from this, the acceleration part of the text looks the same to me still. but unfortunately i'm not a mechanic :D

but at least i know now how the diff preload works... higher preload keeps the diff locked further under acceleration (and coasting)
    i tested it today at Kyalami, there are some slow corner exits. looks like it worked the way i was expecting after your explanation.
    now how it works under coasting? i'd expect that in a long corner lower preload should make the rear more stable as it allows the rear wheels rotate separately and so the insode wheel doesn't want to step out. do i think it right?

thanks for you guys and sorry about my dumb questions.

6. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

@trutya - "thanks for you guys and sorry about my dumb questions." - i am very happy that you have asked, cause the more we talk bout it the more we will (hopefully) understand. everytime when i think "yes, i got it", then there are doubts and question marks in my head. :oops:
    so your questions are very welcome for me :)

7. WallyM

WallyM Alien

If you want to read a good explanation, read this (and also part one): https://murmotorsports.eng.unimelb....og-differentialswhats-the-difference-part-two

trutya and sissydriver like this.
  8. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

checked the video once again, tried to understand, and what happened to me with the porsche at bathurst - on top of the mountain i have to find my speed and must lift the throttle - the back steps out and the car drove me nuts. countless barrier contacts.
    lowered preload - much better!

when you have less preload then it is the open diff scenario and less understeer in this highspeed section cause the outer wheel can generate more lateral grip cause it can do the job on his own and is not or less connected to the inner wheel. cause the inner wheel has a shorter way to go it forces the outer wheel to rotate slower and vice versa - there is less grip and emmm.... maybe its complete nonsense what i wrote... :rolleyes:
    trying to explain it, i believe aris and what he said is what happened to the porsche and me, but cant explain really. o_O
    sorry... we have to ask dumb questions on and on ;)

EsxPaul likes this.
  9. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

now i am totally confused - what is happening on top of the mountain? lifting throttle, car starts to rotate - it is loosing grip at the rear and turning in. this is oversteer? and when, why helped lowering preload? was it all placebo? too late, go to bed. think again tomorrow.
    and i only wanted to have fun when i found assetto corsa in 2017...never thought it transformed into rocket science :p

10. WallyM

WallyM Alien

In Aris' video, he also explains that the effect of preload is dependent on the gear. More preload = power oversteer in low gears (as the torque difference between the wheels can exceed the preload more easily => diff opens (to whatever the power lock is) => oversteer) and more power understeer in high gears (as the torque between the wheels can cannot exceed the preload so easily => diff stays locked => understeer).

So I guess over the top of the mountain (from Sulman park through the left hander roller-coaster) you are in a high gear - 4th or 5th. The engine is not producing that much torque. When you lift the throttle, the engine is not producing enough torque to exceed the preload, and the diff is more likely to lock => understeer).

Coanda and sissydriver like this.
  11. spaceweed10

spaceweed10 Racer

Sobered up yet, Aris? Didn't learn much from your driving, but comedic value was outstanding! :eek: :D.

sissydriver likes this.
  12. Coanda

Coanda Alien

From time to time I keep revisiting this thread.. https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...s-the-differential-setting-in-acc-work.59145/

Here we have Aris with his explanation on preload which is backed up in his latest video blog.

.. and then I get all confused by the following statements by some regular heavies to these types of topics...

Unless I have misunderstood something, which is highly likely, there is contradictory information here, right..? Obviously I am going to follow Aris when it comes to ACC..

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  13. Gopher04

Gopher04 Simracer

Which way is locked and open diff in the setup, I'm guessing 0 is locked?

14. trutya

trutya Simracer

nope. 0 is open (or it opens for even the smallest throttle). the bigger the number is, the later the diff opens
    but please confirm it :D

Gopher04 and sissydriver like this.
  15. spaceweed10

spaceweed10 Racer

In ACC this appears to be true - I must admit it's the opposite to what I understood it to be, for eg in PC2. However, in PC2 you had the option to adjust 'acceleration' and 'coast' diffs too which to me were more important as to the handling of the car. In ACC it's not hard to figure out which is 'open' and which is 'locked'. If you open the diff <reduce it in game>, the car will be more oversteery on corner entry and more understeery on corner exit in 'slow' corners, and the exact opposite in 'fast' corners. If you close the diff <increase it in game> the exact opposite will occur in slow/fast corners. I think what is confusing a lot of folk <myself included at first> is that moving the slider to the left is 'opening' the diff, and moving the slider to the right is 'closing' the diff, which kind of seems counter intuitive /shrug. I believe the same method is used for brake ducts - open is slider left, and closed is slider right, which I also consider counter intuitive :rolleyes:.

16. Coanda

Coanda Alien

wrong

Madsen likes this.
  17. spaceweed10

spaceweed10 Racer

Sue me, DW. But thanks for proving my point :rolleyes:.

18. spaceweed10

spaceweed10 Racer

It just seems you are a confused little boy - it will work out for you :D.

19. Ecnelis

Ecnelis Alien

Today, 22:00 CET: "Practice AMR V12 at Bathurst - preparation for 3 hours race"

Andrex likes this.
  20. trutya

trutya Simracer

Panky did a really solid CP race yesterday at Bathurst, using the V12.
    for me, i can't say the same... :D