1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Calibrating your force feedback wheel using wheelcheck and ffbclip

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Atle Dreier, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Blamer

Blamer Hardcore Simmer

@Atle Dreier
    I made an icon for your app because I had too many 'default' ones and couldn't easily find it while racing.
    I post it here should anyone want to use it too.

If I wasn't allowed to, just tell me and I'll delete it.
    Thanks for your app!

FFBClip_ON.png FFBClip_OFF.png

Unzip in your Assetto Corsa folder

Cattura.PNG

Attached Files:

2. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

Did the FFBClip app say 200 even after driving a few minutes?

Sent fra min SM-N910F via Tapatalk

3. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

I just drove for a few hundred metres. Less than half a lap. Trembling etc....And for example in the 488 it changed from 100 to 126 to 115, then I stopped because it did not feel good:)
    Do I have to drive a few laps or?:oops:

Cheers
    Robin

4. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

A few minutes at least. :)

Sent fra min SM-N910F via Tapatalk

Robin_NL likes this.
  5. Fat-Alfie

Fat-Alfie Hardcore Simmer

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg\assetto_corsa.ini

[FF_EXPERIMENTAL]
    ENABLE_GYRO=0
    DAMPER_MIN_LEVEL=0.1
    DAMPER_GAIN=0.1

Robin_NL likes this.
  6. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

If GYRO=1 what can I expect ? ATM not near my rig.

Cheers
    Robin

7. Fat-Alfie

Hmm... like a slight tightening of the wheel's rotation as you move away from centre.

I used to really prefer Gyro=1 but I feel something changed in the last update and now it feels better to me with Gyro=0.

This is something you should really test yourself though, when back at your wheel.

Robin_NL likes this.
  8. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

I would describe it as the name "Gyro" implies - it acts as a stabilizing-effect. Dampening can have a similar feel but, perhaps comes with loss of detail; maybe just my suspicion though.

Robin_NL likes this.
  9. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

Thanks man. This GYRO thing works for me! It now again just feels the way I want it to.

Interesting stuff.

Cheers
    Robin

Fat-Alfie likes this.
  10. matt2380

matt2380 Gamer

Hi Atle, love the FFBClip app, the change to the histogram technique is a winner. Thanks so much for the time and effort you've poured into it.

You may have seen that I've jumped on the coat-tails of grimdanfango in challenging the common assumption of non-linearity of our consumer wheels based upon the common misinterpretation of the default Wheelcheck linear force test. I encourage you to have a look in the LUT thread if you haven't checked it recently.

In short, it appears that the T300 is actually quite linear and therefore T300 owners can save themselves a lot of mucking around and crank their wheel up to 100% and then use your FFBClip app to get the most from their wheel.

I've only got the T300 to test, but it's very likely many (most?) consumer wheels are also linear enough to do the same. Eg your T500.

Wheelcheck still has some uses, eg perhaps for exploring minimum force, but it seems it's not as important as we've long believed.

It's quite a paradigm shift, and you're a key figure in influencing the sim racing masses. The idea of de-throning wheelcheck is not likely to be adopted easily, especially since threads like this one start with a big wheelcheck graph and a description that 60% is the more linear overall compared to 100%. I hope you can take a moment to review and consider.

Paratus and Red Or Dead like this.
  11. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

I haven't read it, but I've been made aware of it several times lately. :) I don't use my T500 any more, after the OSW got here. Naturally, LUT and FFB processing is less interesting to me with such a wheel, but I won't stop supporting and developing the FFBClip app. I'll make it my mission to update both the app and the Calibration thread soon™. It's very intersting that Thrustmaste have 60 as the default overall gain for the T500 (and I believe 70 for the T300), since both those gain levels are the ones seemingly most linear in Wheelcheck.

Having said that, on a "lossy" system like the T500 and T300 (and most other consumer wheels) the transient capabilities of the wheel seems very different from the static capabilities. If this is from processing, mechanical losses or other factors I haven't really done any research. Both a dynamic (wheelcheck) and static (pole and scales) have their strength and weakness. I have thought about the flaws in the Wheelcheck method, and indeed discussed it in one thread somewhere. If the window is long enough to allow the wheel to reach close to maximum speed, the result will be exactly what we see for the T300 in particular, the "flattening" of the higher forces. With a shorter window the result "should" approach" the static result, and that does indeed seem more linear than the default window suggest. On the other hand, is the T300 really that much weaker at higher speeds, like the Wheelcheck result seem to suggest? In that case, at what speed doe we measure it? When driving the wheel is certaily not stationary, so ow fast is fast enough to convey the real deal? So, the issue with these wheels is the non-linearity, or inability to keep the torque at higher speeds, depending on how you measure it. For such wheels using LUT is flawed, since the LUT will only compensate for a single measurement, usually a dynamic, speed limited scenario like you get from Wheelcheck. I'll surely catch up with the dicussion and chime in where I can. :)

12. konnos

konnos Simracer

Yes Atle, I agree with you. Both methods have their place in understanding the characteristics of our wheels, but should not be taken as the Bible of linearity. When we receive forces through the wheel we resist them, but we don't keep the wheel steady, we move it too. So, neither method of measurement is exactly the result we should be basing our settings on. Something in the middle is usually the best and then go from the by feeling and preference.

Fat-Alfie likes this.
  13. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

Or go the DD way, and keep the servo so well within it's capabilities that it becomes irrelevant. It's only an issue for consumer wheels that are driven to the extremes of their perfomance envelope.

14. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

I have completely missed this post! Sorry! Do yo mind if I use the icon in the next releases as an integral part of the app?

Fat-Alfie and Blamer like this.
  15. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

Updated the first post a bit, so it's more relevant, and with links to updated information about LUT and linearity. The thought is to fully update the post at some point, but at least I have removed the blatant misinformation now.. :p

matt2380, Blamer and kofotsjanne like this.
  16. Blamer

Blamer Hardcore Simmer

Of course you can use them. Glad you like them

Fat-Alfie and Atle Dreier like this.
  17. Fat-Alfie

I'm already using them - they are a great, simple addition to an already great app ;)

Blamer likes this.
  18. f1v10

f1v10 Rookie

How do you make a grach like what I am seeing on this forum I am trying to figure out the min force on my ts pc racer

19. Dampening is only used by AC in the 'near zero kph' physics; it adds weight/resistance to the wheel while sitting still. Once you go above a handful of kph it is completely turned off, no matter what percentage it is set to in your wheels control panel.

The gyro effect amplifies the gyroscopic effect of the rotational mass from the tires on the steering rack. It basically makes your wheel progressively heavier the faster you are going. It has a stronger effect on open wheel cars than on tintops.

20. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Thanks for the clarification about Gyro.

Michael Hornbuckle likes this.