1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Let's discuss iRacing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by bud01, Jun 11, 2016.

1. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

27%, go Hungary!

Ales Nocar likes this.
  2. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

What's worse than buying something that doesn't work after wasting days on it?? Getting automatically billed every month. Yeah you got it!! Just got a renewal I know I didn't authorize but must have been in the small print somewhere. Nice!!

Now I have to go through this hell of getting rid of it.

IRacing is a virus that won't go away!

It would be nice if there support work as good as the renewal I didn't ask for did!

3. Tomcul

Tomcul Hardcore Simmer

It's a recurring payment pretty common nowadays, they make it very clear when you sign up.
    I cancelled mine straight away too much bobbing around when using vr imo, along with many other things I couldn't warm to..

4. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Yeah, I only sub very rarely when good offers come - mostly for forum access but, always have to disable the "Auto-renewal" feature every time. They don't exactly share that detail in big bold red text. :rolleyes:

5. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

Nice!!

Didn't think to look since the dam thing didn't frigen work!!!

......................I'm ok now.

Did I spell 'frigen' right? Or is it 'fargen' as in 'fargen ice holes'!:D

P.S. sorry for the use of three explanation marks!

6. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

LOL, that reminds me, I need to go wash my fork'n knives. :p:D

vegaguy 5555 likes this.
  7. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

That was a good one! I'm getting cramp from laughing.

Dean Ogurek likes this.
  8. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

I believe it is frigging, a derivative of frig - look that up ;)

vegaguy 5555 likes this.
  9. chakko

chakko Alien

Sorry, troll post, and thread necro coming up.

As i got that itch again, i renewed my subscription for iRacing again, after a couple of months not driving it (thankfully only a 3 months subscription...). Jumped in the Skippy, and did some laps on a training server for Oran Park (nice track BTW). Ok, so it took me multiple laps to be even able to drive straight. Really, not feeling the wheels, or even the speed AT ALL. The car feels like an alien spaceship. And i'm thus totally overdriving the car, sliding all over the place. Talking about sliding, a car doesn't slide all over the place with the tiniest steering input. Hence "iceRacing" i guess. The area between grip of the tires, and loss of grip feels completely undefined. I almost felt like driving a rally car, with its loose suspension work, and overall balancing. After about 10-15 laps, i found something like a rhythm, and finally found a bit of a feeling to drive the corners cleanly, and still, the car (the Skippy, one of the most good-natured, and slow car in the world) surprised me with sudden oversteers which i had to recover with magic quick hands. Not to mention i almost had to throw the car sideways into the corners, to be quick.

Sorry, but, really. There's something FUNDAMENTALLY wrong with the iRacing physics. They almost feel like they had just built up on the GPL physics, fine tuned here and there, but it's still the same engine. I know that they simulate a whole lot of things in terms of tire, and general car physics, but, man. I know that some of the devs already spent track days in the Skip Barber or other cars, and i read they even got input from real drivers of the cars, and from NASCAR teams, and what not. How the heck do they still fabricate such physics? They're really, really wrong, everyone who ever drove a street car can tell that. Actually, i was really happy to do some racings in iRacing again, when i renvewed my subscription, but, i don't know if i even want to do a race there anymore. It just feels like a game, not a sim.

Sorry for the rant, of course, everyone's entitled to his/her opinion, but, really felt like i need to get this off my back. I really don't get the hype about that sim, especially from real race drivers. Did they never try something else? Are some of them even bought? Hard to believe. But, it's also hard to believe that real race drivers are racing, and endorsing the sim. Don't get me wrong, the online mode is still top of all the racing sims. But, jeez, the physics are really bottom of all the sims.

10. bud01

bud01 Racer

I am not saying this is true, or that it is correct, but I am just highlighting a possibility so we can dis prove it or get it out of the way.

Considering the fact several informed knowledgeable people have been designing and making the game (iracing) with good budget and consultants and real world drivers etc etc.

There remains the very real possibility chakko, that you have no idea what you are talking about at all and are completely wrong in all regards having a complete reversal of opinion than the actual fact.

Now I am not saying that is the situation here, but I'm just putting it out there.

Personally I am a little confused about the iracing physics also, it seems impressive over all but when dug into seems more hard to describe it but simplistic vs Assetto, its more clunky, mastering cars in Iracing is different than Assetto.

Maybe Iracing really excels with certain cars, the skip barber is meant to be a bread and butter par excellence of iracing, maybe car set up + force feedback setting updates (config) are necessary to bring the car alive.

are there any in depth reviews by professional drivers giving thoughts and insights?

Assetto corsa is missing what I see some one has provided a small option for, live streaming, turbonutter server streams and brings a lot of good drivers into nord.

Assetto Corsa should have a official server running Friday evening to Monday early AM allowing people to show their stuff.

11. chakko

chakko Alien

Fair enough. Actually, i maybe should have added that i do think AC isn't perfect in some regards too. Still, it feels a WHOLE LOT better than iRacing, and i've driven street cars on the limit, and i have driven karts more than once, and watched gazillions of onboards from real races (what a reference, haha).

Anyway, not saying that my opinion is the end all, set in stone statement to end all discussions. Just wanted to say that iRacing feels pretty bull**** to me. To choose some controversial, offending words. :p BTW, i read from some real life Skip Barber driver earlier, who also said that the Skip in iRacing doesn't feel very much like the real life counterpart. And he also wrote that many of the things which characterize the iRacing version are exaggerated, e.g. the lift off oversteer. I can only confirm that, it feels exaggerated indeed. Also the reaction with more steering, in every car in iRacing. Real cars are not so sensitive on steering inputs. They're also not as oversteering as in iRacing. IMO. Just compare the AC GT3's to the iRacing GT3's, and you'll see. The AC ones are not nearly as sensitive to steering inputs, and they don't immediately begin to oversteer then too. There's pretty much worlds between them.

12. The only area iR excels is that they had a 20mil start up budget and yet their cars -at least the last time i drove some of them- were really bad.Their representation and approach of reality aka simulation is miles away from what i would expect.Together with the price increase i stopped my forum access altogether.

Not even the huge sunk cost from 2008-2016 kept me resubbing.

13. chakko

chakko Alien

I think the best part of it is really the online system, the presentation, the interface, and the realistic car, track, and environmental graphics. The simulation part really being the worst area, IMO. Really unfortunate, because it would be the perfect sim otherwise. Seems like AC is really the antithesis to it. Great on the simulation side, not so good on the online and presentation side. :) Better graphics than iRacing though, for sure.

14. Iracing crash physics are even worse than their driving physics.......

Still fun though

15. Alex S

Alex S Racer

Well.........all sims and "games" have real world racing driver consultants and such, that has been the case from day 1 and will continue to be so. However, that really does not mean much at all.

First and foremost racing drivers, many of them as of even few years ago and many today have never drove any sim, so with nothing for reference in the computer realm of course they will say that it is realistic, why wouldn't they? We were all convinced at some point that GPL was very realistic and everything following...but look how much it has all evolved...

So I think point 1) is that racing drivers have no point of reference other than the real thing, highly doubt many of them are hard core simmers because vast majority of these guys are bigger names who spend too much time actually racing and no time simming in anything other than the sim that they are paid to consult.

Point 2) is that we are all adults here and the end game is money that everyone is there to make, so they will not talk trash about a product they are paid to promote/consult on.

Ultimately you have to try it for yourself, use your common sense, see the data and make up your own mind.

For me personally AC is the best of the current lot in terms of pure simulation, as in how it feels to drive a car in real life of which I have driven many. The sense of connection is unmatched by anything else out there, throw VR on top of that and its a different world.

iRacing tire model, no mater how sophisticated it might be just doesn't feel right......it's not rubber or elastic materials that are simulated by something else...

Jadonyx likes this.
  16. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Pff, even raceroom or pcars have real drivers claiming how "good" their sim is...marketing...

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

17. The regional spec Skip Barbers IRL have street tyres and they oversteer much more mid and exit of corners than iR. The latter understeers too much ;)

Soooo... git gud ?

18. Orne

Orne Alien

I'm about 2 weeks into a 1 month iRacing membership. Its interesting how different the Ruf RT12 R is in iRacing versus AC. Just the basic street version feels much more composed than in AC. Car feels like it has a lot more front end bite as well. Trail braking is exponentially easier than in AC, requires more finesse in Assetto where as in iRacing is more straight forward in how the car responds, almost feels a bit canned. Not suggesting that it is, it just seems a bit too predictable.

Road Atlanta is a great track. I've never driven a LASER scanned version. Nice and fast with a great flow. Barber motorsports Park is another stunning track. So many elevation changes, hairpins. Love this track. Would be a blast to drive in AC in the GT3 RS. Having the ability to test drive all cars and tracks with a base membership is a great feature. I have no plans on buying any content. I might pay for a couple of months just to check out all the cars and road circuits.

I like how tire squeal is handled, its more of a scrub sound than a high pitch squeal most of the time. The FOV tool is lovely, allowing you to dial in the correct FOV relative to your monitor size and distance from monitor. The cam edit tool is really well thought out. Its great being able to save different cam configs for replays. Having tighter zoom on the car in certain parts of track as well as full control over all various camera axis is great stuff.

FFB isnt quite as nuanced as AC regarding slip angle, although it can feel lively at times. At Nords the FFB really gives you a work out, at other tracks not so much.

I'm not a big on monthly fees. I would much prefer to pay for a base install that I could drive offline and have the option to buy other cars and tracks. Perhaps after iRacing reaches market saturation they will allow that. Out of all the modern sims I've tried, AMS, Raceroom Exp and Project Cars, iRacing feels the closest to AC. I found transitioning between the two to be quite effortless once I configured the FFB to my liking in iRacing.

An odd feature in iRacing is access to "tech tracks" which are tracks that aren't fully completed. The track surface is done but track side objects lack textures and are only displayed as a polygonal wire frame. Not sure what the rational for this is other than they want to let you know they have these tracks available if you're hot to drive them and don't care about them being unfinished.

Graphic wise the iRacing engine is dated for sure. It looks like it evolved from GPL and NASCAR Racing 2003. Visually not as stunning as AC at its best. I would place it somewhere between AMS and AC on the graphics scale.. I do like the crispness of the AA in iRacing. Its tolerable and perhaps a good balance between performance and graphics. AMS on the other hand was terrible looking and I didn't care for how the cars handled.

Given what I feel is a quality driving experience in iRacing I wouldn't have any problems paying 10-15 USD per track and car, sans the monthly online fee of course. I'd probably only have three tracks and three cars, hahaha. If they would just add a proper street Porsche 911 !

Ruf RT12
    Ford GT
    Mustang FR500S

Lime Rock
    Road Atlanta
    Barber Motorsports Park

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Andrew_WOT and liakjim like this.
  19. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

They let you do that now? Nice. I'm gonna have to try that some day.
    How does it work? Can you just hotlap a track and car "offline" as long as you want or is there a time constraint like in R3E?