1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Let's discuss iRacing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by bud01, Jun 11, 2016.

1. chakko

chakko Alien

No wonder, because iRacing is much harder to handle, due to the things i mentioned. :p If you really only hotlapping, you're missing the whole fun though. The whole fun being the online service.

2. Orne

Orne Alien

You might be right although at least at the moment I am more intrigued and interested in car handling than competition. I probably should have been an automotive engineer, haha.

I don't find iRacing more difficult, just slightly different. Grip level seem a bit higher than in AC although grip changes when you approach the limits, less predictable for me at the moment than AC. Tire wear affect on traction seems more pronounced in iRacing than AC. I ran 10 laps at Road Atlanta and I began to notice a loss of traction exiting some of the tighter corners, very cool!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  3. Again, it depends on the car and tyres. Especially anything that isn't a full slick.

That said, maybe work on your FFB a little cause I can tell just fine how much grip I have.

4. Orne

Orne Alien

From what I've read an under inflated tire can cause tire squeal as well.

5. Orne

Orne Alien

In iRacing the cold tire temps vary pending the tire type. Presumably the Ruf RT12 Track is using racing slicks, hence the higher temps and the Ruf RT12 street is using a semi slick road tire which might account for the colder temps. Regardless if the tire is a racing slick or semi slick cold temps are the same in Assetto Corsa. Can tire temps in iRacing go below 39C ? I wonder.

iRacing

Ruf RT12 street

39 C 30 PSI

Ruf RT12 Track

77 C 23 PSI

Assetto Corsa

Porsche GT3 RS

20C 20 psi

Porsche GT3 Cup

20C 20 PSI

6. Tyre squeal is because the tyre is near, at or over the limit...

Also, the RUF Track is a GT3 car and they have tyre warmers. The C Spec is a Cup car and doesnt. But they both kinda suck, iR has a real GT3 Cup you can use.

7. Orne

Orne Alien

Ah, so every track car in iR has tire warmers by default ? I've driven the GT3 Cup car in iR, its a bit too composed for my tastes although it seems on par with the GT3 Cup in AC. The Ruf Track car has a bit more HP and seems somewhat more untamed than the GT3 Cup. The Rufs in iR to varying degrees feel like slightly less refined GT3 Cup cars IMHO.

The Ford GT R (non GT3 car) seems to have an insane amount of grip. I expected that car to much less composed in the corners

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  8. Not all of them... Just look at starting temps, easy to tell.

The non-GT3 Ford GT is a GT2 car.

9. Orne

Orne Alien

Ok that explains the grip levels. Thanx!

10. chakko

chakko Alien

I set up the FFB for my G27 according to what people suggest, on the net, and on EdRacing website. Also did the wheelcheck thing to find out what my wheels min force is. Still feels like utter crap, excuse my language. It's a general thing.

11. fbiehne

fbiehne Hardcore Simmer

I for one crank the min force up in Iracing, much more than the recommended value for my wheel (Fanatec Forza CSR), because it just feels better imo. After all it’s about personal preference.
    So perhaps it’s not always advisable to just stick to the recommended values which you find in the internet but rather try out different values which give you a better feeling/car handling.
    There are not many sliders within Iracing so you don’t need a doctors degree as in PCars to find the right FFB for you. Also, you can try editing the iracing app.ini. For example driverheadhorizon, which can provide a better feeling for what the car is doing.

12. Orne

Orne Alien

Attempted to match FOVs between iR and AC. At 54 degrees FOV iR looks like AC when its at FOV 30 degrees. AC at FOV 54 looks more like 70 compared to iR. Check out how easily the Global Mazda MX5 Cup rotates when applying trail braking versus the same car in AC. I used Brands Hatch as a test between the two.

In iR the car smoothly rotates out then stops and straightens up on its own. In AC the rear doesn't step out nearly as much and when it does it tends to went to keep going in that direction unless you correct. Something really odd with how easily trailing braking works in iR vs. AC.

13. Iracing's FOV is vertical and AC's is horizontal. Or vice versa. Either way, not the same.

mms likes this.
  14. Orne

Orne Alien

Ok cool. Thanx for the info. That might also explain why the dash heights were so dramatically different

15. Orne

Orne Alien

Anyone notice how smooth the Nordschleife carousel in iR is compared to real life or even Assetto Corsa ? On an unrelated note, it appears I no longer have access to the iRacing test server. Awwwwww so sad :(:oops::mad: hahaha. I had a good run, for sure !

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  16. martcerv

martcerv Alien

What happens if you just stop in pits? surely temps will drop below those assuming ambient and track temps are lower then start tyre temps.

17. Orne

Orne Alien

Im sure. Although I've not observed tire temps while sitting in the pits after a run. I did a very unscientific comparison between AC and iR in the MX5 at Brands Indy. Lap times were about 4/10ths different. The feel between the two cars is quite close IMHO. Tried to match the FOV as close as possible between the two.

18. chakko

chakko Alien

Interesting thread from RaceDepartment on the topic: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/driving-realism-of-ac-vs-iracing.97542/

Only read the first page now, but, seems to correspond with my impressions... lack of feedback in iRacing's FFB, cars too loose and too twitchy in iRacing. Especially interesting is this post: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/driving-realism-of-ac-vs-iracing.97542/#post-1887139

I totally agree. Real life footage, and videos from iRacing look vastly different. In iRacing, you're just smooth, smooth, smooth all the time, while in a real race car, the drivers correct very often, just watch some onboard footage from F1, when they're on a hot lap, there's at least 3 or 4 times a lap where they correct quite heavily. Even in the iRacing World Championship Grand Prix Series, where the best drivers in iRacing compete, i only see that very rarely. It's just another kind of driving which is necessary in iRacing, simply because you can't get to the total limit all the time. At least that's my impression.

All in all, it's interesting to get so many of the points i made in this thread confirmed by people who feel the same way.

19. Why did you even dig up a three years old thread ?

20. Response from their official forum (some dev):

Joel J Putty wrote:Me and another guy have looked at telemetry, the tire spin AT SPEED, still does exactly what you see in that replay with the car against the wall.

Power is not going to the rear tires, I appreciate the conversation and open call to testers but, why is iRacing still not willing to explain why this happens or, why we can't get an option to turn it off and have real tire spin under throttle ?

If I am in a dirt car with that much power and I have it hung out and flat foot it, I should see tire spin in telemetry, heck I should FEEL tire spin.

I'm not bashing you guys, I just don't understand why the question is either deflected or outright ignored? I understand what you're saying Tyler but, that isn't an official technical answer, you see what I mean?

Let's try this, Steve, if you will, what is the technical answer as to why the tire doesn't actually spin up when there is a loss of traction under heavy throttle conditions?

I can't really give you the "official" answer, but I can give you my understanding. The lack of longitudinal wheel spin is something we ran up against during development on all the dirt cars really. Basically everything just felt like it had too much forward bite at times. Seemed worse on some cars than others, but I think everything has it to some degree because it's currently a limitation of the tire model itself on the dirt surface.

There are limitations within the current model that don't properly allow the longitudinal grip to decay beyond some peak slip ratio, which inhibits the onset of longitudinal wheel spin (drive grip reduction with slip ratio increase). Currently the longitudinal grip in the model plateaus rather than decays as you reach higher and higher slip ratios. DK is working on an update to the slip curves to give us more decay in longitudinal grip as slip ratio increases, which would give the desired wheel spin effect.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

LeDude83 likes this.