1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Let's play Game Designer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by stefanoCasillo, Apr 2, 2016.

?

If YOU were the AC Lead Designer, what would be your #1 priority for next update?

Poll closed Apr 9, 2016.
  1. Brake temp simulation

846 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. VR support

1,195 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Steer ratio/brake pressure setup adjustments

236 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. False starts/Engine stall

932 vote(s)
    19.5%
  5. Custom championships

368 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Possibility to change skin in "Pickup Mode"

124 vote(s)
    2.6%
  7. Sparks/Flashing lights

205 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. Improved water/radiators interaction and simulation

221 vote(s)
    4.6%
  9. Time based races

217 vote(s)
    4.5%
  10. Pit stop strategy

457 vote(s)
    9.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

I voted for VR.
    I bought AC about a year ago for the DK2 implementation and played it almost daily, both time trial and online (despite having the obvious setbacks).
    In Nov last year I updated(?) to Win10 and tried a few times to play it using my monitor, but just cant get away with it.
    In fact as soon as the Oculus Home came out I bought Pcars to get my VR racing fix.
    I believe that once you have tried VR it is VERY hard to play it any other way.
    I also think that if it is not released soon with VR support they will miss the boat and lots of us AC (and VR) fanboys will leave to play a game that does support it.

2. Rudski

Rudski Alien

Well it seems like there might be some issues with last minute changes to the terms and conditions . I don't have the latest headset but if this is true it might cause problems. Would a developer be considered a user in this case?

Either way interesting read.

from the article:

The terms of service also limit the ability to claim ownership of content created for the VR system. By submitting to the user agreement, any application or other content a user creates would be granted for worldwide, irrevocable and perpetual use by Oculus -- royalty-free. In other words, any content created by users becomes the property of Oculus and with it Facebook.

Perpetual Use of Content
    The fact that any content created becomes in essence the property of Oculus and Facebook could be more problematic than the privacy issues -- at least in terms of encouraging development of content for the system, Tirias Research's Krewell told TechNewsWorld.

"The part where user content is delivered through the services grants Oculus a 'worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, nonexclusive, transferable, royalty-free and fully sublicensable right to use, copy, display, store, adapt, publicly perform and distribute such user content in connection with the services' will be troubling for any content provider," he said.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/83317.html

3. ThelloD

ThelloD Rookie

Oh please, not again. This is over-dramatized, Steam has nearly the same sentence in its terms of use.

The emphasis lies here on the term "user content". So if you sell a game on the Oculus Store and customers start commenting and reviewing your game, Oculus may do whatever they want with these user generated contents. This does not mean that the game itself is property of Oculus (or Facebook). The same applies for games on Steam.

We really shouldn't even be discussing this because no one said that AC has to be sold on the Oculus Store, selling AC only using Steam will still be fine.

ears likes this.
  4. I don't think that developers have the same status as a User because of copyrights.

Privacy was one of the many aspects in question to take a hit after the facebook acquisition. Sadly the Oculus company pissed a few people off after being bought by Zuckerberg: some indie devs with their changing SDKs, Valve, Tim Sweeney, some of the "VR mafia" that wrote to Lord Kunos on twitter and pre-ordering Costumers being left in the dark with technical aspects and shipment status.

On a personal level I'm not confortable being "watched" by IR cams, but as with all modern technology today you have to deal with the constant fear of trojan horses. For example Internet of Things, Cars, s.m.a.r.t technology, modern OS like windows etc.

Your statement is fully correct, you need to "Opt-in" to use applications outside of Oculus Store.

5. sonicshadows

sonicshadows Gamer

I voted for vr and although I will be getting a rift cv1 I think openvr would be best for ac because it works with many of the headsets, I read from valve that openvr will not break compatibility with future updates so it seems to be do it once and forget about it where oculus sdk breaks compatibility all the time.

6. at least brake temp + false start/engine stall together win over VR :)

gregack and Jadonyx like this.
  7. Rudski

Rudski Alien

Well that is a relief. Thanks for that info ThelloD. I had a little feeling there was more to that clause then what the article leads you to believe.

8. norbs

norbs Alien

Jack Bancroft and sacredaardvark like this.
  9. Coanda

Coanda Alien

tough to choose just one. I went with break pressure. if I could weight them I would go with this.. for me the first 3 are essential if this is going to be the best simulator it can be...

1. Steer ratio/brake pressure setup adjustments
    2. Brake temp simulation
    3. Improved water/radiators interaction and simulation
    4. False starts/Engine stall
    5. Custom championships
    6. Pit stop strategy
    7. Time based races
    8. Sparks/Flashing lights
    9. Possibility to change skin in "Pickup Mode"
    10. VR support

nate and Steffen Lauge Sørensen like this.
  10. KZAQ666

KZAQ666 Gamer

A proper penalty system with good cut detection and logging with warnings/drive throughs/time penalties instead of the possibly dangerous "slow to 35" we have now should really be on the list if it isn't already :rolleyes: Is there a technical reason for the current system or is it a schedule/priority thing if I may ask? @Lord Kunos

And pit stop strategy should (in my head) mean this at least as an option alongside the current system:

I mean of course fueling and tire change happening separately like in most GT series. That makes multiple stints on same tyres make sense opening a whole new world of strategy options. Also note that engine must be turned off during all pit work and only started again when the car is cleared.. That could make pit stops way more interesting for the driver as well ;)

Epistolarius and Patrik Marek like this.
  11. achristoffer

achristoffer Racer

I have followed Kunos work since Namie. I still remember drifting that 360 in 3rd gear :)

I do think that AC is the best available simulation on the market overall. There are single aspects that other´s may do better but nothing beats the sheer feeling of driving an actual car in AC.

That being said, I have voted for vr support, simply because I haven´t touched AC since the vr support broke. It was completely understandable at the time, as the sdk were changing from version to version.

I just can´t drive on a monitor anymore, it doesn´t even come close to driving in VR. Pcars is not as good as AC in many regards (although it surely has it´s strengths as well, let´s be fair.) but it is better in VR than AC is without.

I understand that this will not benefit all of the users in the short run, but I do believe that it will benfit all of us in the long run. VR definitely is the future, especially in simulators. I suspect that most people who oppose it have not tried it yet? Even the DK2 handily beats the best triple monitor setup in the world, and I am a bit confused why Kunos was so underwhelmed.

I think it must be pretty awesome to sit in you own creation and drive around vs. watching the whole thing on a screen? Anyway, I am sure he has his reasons, but I hope that he gets to try a cv1 soon and maybe "sees the light" :)

If kunos tried the final rift and still came back unimpressed then I don´t know what to say. He would be one of the first to react that way.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  12. ZethGAF

ZethGAF Simracer

For me, VR is the biggest game-changer for sim racing since I first tried an ffb wheel. If Kunos could implement it in 2016, they'd be in position as the best sim out there in VR - which could get a lot[more] eyes on AC.

13. kazereal

kazereal Racer

One thing that is often talked about in connection with books, movies and games is "suspension of disbelief" - in short, the product has to be consistent with rules it makes for itself.

For example, if characters in scifi-movie suddenly start using magic that breaks the illusion and it becomes just a set of actors and props instead.

Simulations need a consistent set of rules also: if you hit a wooden box it breaks or is sent flying according to amount of force. If it just disappears or you go through it as a glitch it is not that plausible any more.

Small things like brake temp affecting brake grip/fade is something that is expected to happen when other things like tyre temps are simulated to detail. Same thing with engine stall if you mess up and have to start engine again.

So even if those seem small, they may have more effect in overall picture than what people realize. Without those the car on screen becomes just a set of pixels. At that point it does not help if there's VR or not.

You don't have to agree with me here, just trying to bring another point across in favor some other things proposed.

14. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

There will need to be an easier way to get our systems (computer/wheel/pedals) set-up right. Assetto corsa has reached a new level of sophistication. I still have a dead FFB/input zone in some cars like the F40. I hear some people complain about other cars with the same problem. For now a set-up guide to go through would be a big help. I see people get made fun of and go to another sim, which is sad. These immature people are really hurting Assetto Corsa.

15. Lukimator

Lukimator Gamer

Guess what, in some VR experiences you need "suspension of BELIEF", to remind yourself that the virtual world isn't real. Doesn't happen in sims yet though, as we lack G forces

ears1991 likes this.
  16. Tberg

Tberg Alien

For me, AC has been one of the easiest sims to set up in history. Sure, you can get different results by going into ini-files, but the standard menu is like reading a pixie book.

LeDude83, Caylayron, Nismo and 3 others like this.
  17. xvg

xvg Gamer

Just can't understand why people wants VR support. GOD AC is a sim, graphics or peripherals are not the most important thing for a simulation game. It needs a lot of stuff before the VR support. Really don't understand it.
    Look:
    -False starts/Engine stall
    -Brake temp simulation
    -Steer ratio/brake pressure setup adjustments
    -Sparks/Flashing lights (not the most, but hey, night it's a part of our lives...)
    -Improved water/radiators interaction and simulation

For me all five is necessary to be the best sim-racing. Now it's the best simulation of driving experience, but that's not enough for people that wants to race seriously in leagues like ACRL...

Let me say my real opinion:
    Games are coded by developers, but guided about some fans opinions and suggestions. If AC it's not real at 100%, it's your fault, because if in cases like this poll, you choose the less sim option of all others, what do you want then?
    PD: I will, but all 821 votes should think why choose the VR support if only some people will have the opportunity to get one of these?

Cheers

gregack, SunBro and Jadonyx like this.
  18. 0verfl0w

0verfl0w Racer

If simulating driving/racing a car is the #1 goal for you, how can you not see that putting yourself IN the car with a 100% correct FOV, scaling and sense of speed, does not add far more to the simulation aspect than Sparks/Flashing light or any of the other options???

19. Robyn

Robyn Gamer

This thread makes me want to cry.

nate, Psit and xvg like this.
  20. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

For some people immersion is just important in a simulator as the other options. People put a lot of money in pheripials to get to that even if its a mid end steering wheel to a high end motion rig, even if its not possible to get 1:1 with real life but as close as possible. VR is one of these things that obviously is very important to many people.

gregack, pika4u and ears1991 like this.