1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Mod Downloads to be Closed Indefinitely. (READ LAST REPLY)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by garyjpaterson, Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. By linking that video you just showed the exact reason your forum is getting shut down; and nothing in that vid is any more illegal than any mod that you have made.

Tiago Lima likes this.
  2. kevin.maatman

kevin.maatman Staff Member KS Dev Team

If you want to make things more complicated than they are then I'll sort it out quickly.

Filippo94 and Michael Hornbuckle like this.
  3. fbiehne

fbiehne Hardcore Simmer

Very sad decision, I enjoyed especially the mod threads to see updates etc.
    RD is a good alternative for mods, though. If the reason for this is a future implementation of steam workshop then go for it.

4. burrito

burrito Alien

You have a link to your youtube channel in your signature. That channel showcases ripped content.

Your point is moot. If you had not uploaded that video I would never have been able to post it.

(and using assets from another game is a lot more illegal than making freeware content with a brand name)

asehauDLM, Bill Wiskins, nate and 5 others like this.
  5. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

Yeah true.

Our F300 and F1 concept got taken down everywhere apart from here due to a cease and decist. Well now its not going to be available anywhere, well maybe the russians will have it.

6. Tophercheese

Tophercheese Simracer

Not true, we have a "Work In Progress" thread for pretty much every game on our website. It's there you're free to post as much as you like regarding upcoming modding works :)

Here's AC's WIP thread: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/the-w-i-p-thread.58900/

mrk1001 and fbiehne like this.
  7. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Having been moderator myself for some years, years ago, although in a small place only, I can understand it in parts, and in parts not. What I understand is the pirateware and ripped content thing - I personally would have run an even more iron-handed regime on this. I do not like rippers who do not respect the rights of others. I also do not like to be made downloading stuff in good belief and then learning that I was made to download ripped stuff that I do not want to support by increasing the download counter by +1.

On the general communication, while this is a support forum, it is wise for any forum administration to set up what can be called a honey pot. Usually a forum like "General Topics" or as called here: "Chit Chat" serves that purpose. It attracts all communication not fully related to the forum purpose, because you can never avoid to have just clinically clean incoiming comms, you will always get some "white noise" - and then it is helpful to have it all collected and concentrated in one place, so that it does not get scattered all across the whole board and all subforums (of which this site has very many...). You, Kunos team, may have planned this forum to be only technical support, but things have a self-dynamic, and as time went by, oh so many people came to see this forum also as a major general discussion forum of things that are loosely related not just to game support, but racing, motor sports in general, things related - even comparing with other games, yes. But you know, this worked to your advantage, it made this place well-known, and alive - not a sterile, clinical place. People do not come here only when they have questions - they LIKE to come here and meet the old crowd they got used to see here, even if they have no questions on their minds, no problems to solve. So, beyond the originally limited intention, this place has become a "home"beyond that intention of yours only. And that cannot have worked to AC's disadvantage and against its reputation. If I were only about getting answers to probs I have, I mostly would not be here. The thing is - i LIKE to come here, to Chit Chat in the main, but also track mods. I post not much, but read a lot. And sometimes I chime in. And not just on comparing something of AC to RR. :)

Regarding mods, the usual advise I repeatedly heard in other forums (RD, simHQ, S3) regarding somebody asking how to differentiate legal from illegal mod content, was this: to go either into the download section of RD - or go to Kunos forums, since both run relatively sharp regimes on banning illegal stuff and rippers. when it is not listed in any of these two places, it probably is ripped content, so they say. You earned a reputation to be a force of light against ripped content, and that apparently was appreciated by people.

Anyway, its your place and so its your rules, guests coming here either accept that or not. I only want to recommend to not run a too iron-fisted regime and a too tunnel-viewed focus, because the harder the grab, the more it may cost this place life and vitality, making it loosing attractiveness. This might be in congruence with the intention of creating this board, originally - but it maybe could backfire against the general reputation of AC ("Kunos are ban hammer-swingers", "Kunos want to keep customers at arms length" - you know the kind of reaction I point at). Because a sim like this is more than just a game to play, for many people. Modders want to mod and take major motivation from that, maybe, others are as much focussing on community as they focus on actually playing the game - and so on. Some diversity better gets accepted and lived with. The specific interpretation of your rules of course is, in the end, always up to you. Us guests in your house simply have the choice to accept them - or not and then to leave. And that is how it should be.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  8. burrito

burrito Alien

And as I said in that quote, that is a generic thread, consumers are on the whole lazy. They do not want to scroll through 200 mods (which that thread now has to cater for) just to find the progress on the 3-5 they care about.

I like RD but it is not set up particularly well for unreleased content showcasing.

Jebus likes this.
  9. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Somebody pinch me....

Did I understand that every single thread/post about valueable knowledge that´s been written here is going to be deleted?

The Build your first track, trackmaterials, etc threads, all of them??

Half my time here I´ve spend reading and conversating in those threads, and I just begun learning trackbuilding because of AC, but I can respect if KS no longer wants to deal with it.

Bummer...

Peace

alex72, jonnyboy_99, mms and 2 others like this.
  10. leon_90

leon_90 Hardcore Simmer

11. Jim Layhee

Jim Layhee Simracer

@kevin.maatman is this decision related to the more 'commercial' mod developers and/or the 'donate' system that was cracked down on earlier ? I have noticed that many of the compromises reached seem to being ignored and its back to the pre- crack levels ?

12. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

The way I see it is this: This forum is owned by Kunos, and is officially tied to Assetto Corsa and to Kunos as a company, therefore Kunos is responsible for what is posted here and can also be held legally accountable for it, like eg hatespeech or illegal content. That's why there are rules against those things. Now, Kunos being the intelligent and responsible people they are I am sure have not taken this decision lightly, and would never have closed off half of the modding section without there being a very good reason behind it. The reason I'm suggesting usually also comes with a binding non disclosure agreement, if you catch my drift.

13. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

the issue is how big our community is, one thread doesnt suffice when you have 80 or so mods being actively worked upon, add tracks and the unhealthy amount of skins to that. its hard to hype our own mod when its jumbled in with dozens of other mods. I suggest you guys make some modding sub forums for it as you likely will be taking the most traffic.

alex72 and Jebus like this.
  14. That can´t be serious....

And we all knew from the start that the console version would bring all kinds of restrictions...
    Thank you...

15. liakjim

liakjim Alien

The way I see it, Kunos made a big deal with some big company ( to be announced at 17/6 ) and as such they try to close all the " legal holes".

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

f1webberfan and Tino66 like this.
  16. ga2jo

ga2jo Racer

I just don't get it…:(

The rules here were clear and respected by most members because they 'd been set by the very people who develop the game
    This forum has been a place where it's been at least possible to try to separate the wheat from the chaff
    Self-regulation among members hasn't been perfect (it never can be of course) but more and more people were getting aware of the issue and supporting true creators
    We've been able to follow progress and support true creators, to share, provide help and learn many things (tips, advice etc.),
    all of this has encouraged people to start creating mods from scratch

And now you want to get rid of all of this? :confused::eek:o_O

I do hope you'll reconsider

Please do not erase these topics (and many others like this) at least:
    the photoscan thread
    Build your first TRACK - BASIC GUIDE
    Proper technique in track making plus tips
    Track Materials / Shaders
    3d track modeling and texturing tutorials

#Friday17th #savetheModdingsections

17. LeSunTzu

LeSunTzu Alien

I suppose that Kunos has considered the option to close the subforums to further contributions but to keep it accessible?

There are quite a few threads with valuable contributions from modders about how-to rather than content. It would be a pity to see that lost forever.

ga2jo and GLENNYBOY1 like this.
  18. Midnightclub

Midnightclub Simracer

I do wonder if it's just a coincidence that the '17th' teasers we've seen is the same day the modding section will disappear for good...

19. Turk

Turk Alien

Nobody seems to be aware of this fact. The whole mod area is a bit of a legal minefield and I'm not at all surprised Kunos need to put some distance between their official content and content made against the wishes of the manufacturers. I'm not sure how much money changes hands for licenses but I doubt it's a number that makes a huge difference to a company that sell cars worth half a million each. So it's probably more about exposure, status and advertising to the manufacturer's.

Modding in AC hasn't been affected at all.

RDs a much better place, to be honest I never really went into the mod section. I don't want to know the life story of every mod out there. About the only one I follow is the transit mod, because it's a land mark mod of one of the greatest vehicles ever made. :cool::D RD is simple and straightforward to use, has discussion, pictures, videos. I always download from there, even if I saw the mod here first I'd download from RD. I won't be affected by this at all.

sacredaardvark likes this.
  20. iVG

iVG Alien

I feel like Kunos have turned against their own policy today.. Also sensing some hostility and authority being excessively shown..

Sober up Kunos