1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Quality of sim can be measured by how ruthlessly it exposes driver's lack of talent

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Strummer, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Strummer

Strummer Simracer

This is an epiphany I just had. A less high-fidelity racing sim flatters the driver, making anyone feel like they can drive a very sophisticated racing car close to the limits of traction around a race track for twenty laps without coming off. By contrast, AC can be a humbling experience which appears to have taught me that I only have the talent to maintain a really fast, consistent pace in the road cars. That's why I've switched from the Lotus Evora GTC at Brands Hatch to the less pants-on-fire BMW M235 Racing because I simply do not have the skill to keep the Lotus on the track for twenty hard laps at a truly competitive pace. I guess this is a good thing to realise about a high-quality racing sim but it's humbling!

Seria17hri11er likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Sim-racing and the quality/price of the various peripheral's Aug 31, 2014
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Will ac ever fully support quality motion (sim commander) Aug 3, 2014
    Chit Chat Room FWIW - bsim racing blog on poor nvidia image quality Apr 10, 2014
    ACC Virtual Reality Image quality after initial install (openxr/open composite) Apr 20, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars McLaren 570S GT4 low quality dash at night Oct 12, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality VR headset difference in smoothness and quality Mar 17, 2021
    ACC Gameplay Gameplay Suggestion - List of potential improvement on ACC Quality of life Jul 18, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Low quality virtual driver hands for GT4 cars Jul 15, 2020
    ACC Virtual Reality VR play Low image quality May 15, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Ferrari GT3 ACC 1.3.7 bad LOD quality in switching Mar 6, 2020
    ACC Virtual Reality Rift S quality problem Nov 6, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Acc picture quality Jun 25, 2019
    ACC Virtual Reality Quality of replays when using TV and VR Jun 13, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Graphics quality changing "live" Jun 5, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars 1.0.1 - Major Quality Problems Jun 3, 2019

3. gandlers

gandlers Hardcore Simmer

you may have a point there :D
    I get myself exposed quite often.

Seria17hri11er and Horus like this.
  4. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

If only it was that simple!
    The old hard VS. realistic argument. hours of pleasure in perspective, if not new at least always entertaining.

[​IMG]

5. Stereo

Stereo Alien

I think of a few ways to explain the gap in talent.
    1) good difficulty - the most delicate of inputs matter, and you can be anywhere near those inputs and improve your times
    2) bad difficulty - inputs are inconsistent, or there's a precipice you need to balance on - the closer to the edge you get the faster, but go over the edge once and you die.

Being 'forgiving' usually means the first rather than the second; but it should be understood as "time penalties are proportional to the size of your mistake", not "there is no penalty for mistakes". Keeping more people in contention is good for racing.

6. lol AC is easy tho.

*runs*

:p

burrito, D1visor, Horus and 1 other person like this.
  7. Octane

Octane Simracer

Devil's advocate to William...

This one helluva sim! :D

...speaking from experience of course

Horus likes this.
  8. Horus

Horus Alien

You maybe on to something, but it can have a lot to do with car, track, wheel, pedals, FOV, PC settings, drivers and a lot of other variable. I like your honesty, but you might find that it could have been as simple as the Lotus did not suit your driving style. I agree that if someone came from a more arcade style driving game like NFS, Crew, Burnout etc etc you could be caught out by needing to brake around corners and such, but most sim based racing games are difficult till you figure out how they react and play, so going from rF/rF2, iRacing, PCars, etc etc etc would be far less of a problem (possibly, maybe, perhaps).

Good thread.

Seria17hri11er and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  9. dauntless

dauntless Alien

I don't think difficulty is a good measure of realism. For example it is much harder to drive the yellowbird in gt5 than it is in ac or any other sim. Also there are some games that are purely arcade that can be more difficult to drive than iracing. And not just because of physics but also because of the controls for example. Quality of ffb can make catching slides easier or harder just on its own. Laggy, slow and uncommunicative ffb (gt5) makes catching slides a chore. In ac or rf2 the quality of ffb helps you instead.

A good sim has depth. The cars allow more than one driving style and there are no simple tricks to achieve things. There are no 2 feet in tricks that always save you from slides even though the principle does work in real life and should work to some degree in the sim as well. But it should not be a silver bullet for any single issue. A depth can mean that to achieve a lap time that is x seconds away from world record can be achieved in many ways. Over driving or under driving. Going sideways like that yellow ruf around the ring or understeering like ubisofts pc releases.

It is not about slides being catchable or not for example. Some slides are catchable, some slides the driver can iniate and control relatively easily while others are more difficult. Some slides are always catchable if you have the space. In current form ac for example lacks pretty much the uncatchable slides. As long as you just steer fast enough and far enough you can catch anything the game throws at you. In rf2 you can catch some of those if you are good just like it works in real life. In iracing you can pretty much catch only your breath, anything else is by chance. In a sim you can go off even if you feel you are fully in control and have a good feel for the car. You just went into fast or ran out of skill. A simcade on the otherhand tends to rely more on unforgivable slides and "physics effects" to create that depth.

But similarly gt5 slides are pretty hard to catch and it doesn't make it a sim. It is a sum of all of the things and there is not one single thing that imho makes a game to be a sim or simcade.

10. I must be very lucky :D

11. That isn't my experience of AC, and judging by what I see online.....it isn't the case for the vast majority either

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  12. liakjim

liakjim Alien

It's really easy to drive any car in A.C. at 95%. Car behaves exactly as you would expect. What is really difficult is the rest 5%. As it is on real life.

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

13. dauntless

dauntless Alien

I was over exxaggaration on my part. Could not help not making small joke there when writing that :D.

Judging by what you see online the main deduction is that most people in ac are very new to racing sims. Game stock car for example is harder to drive than ac but when you go online you rarely see people spinning out or losing control. It is just one of the curses of popularity imho. The more players the more people you have who don't know much.
    And I think every sim and simcade title will instantly become a lot better to drive online when some kind of rating system is in place. The races we have on aloog1 server are just as good as the races on iracing on higher license levels. Doesn't mean the racers in those titles are better. It is just a system that weeds out those who like pingpong and having duels in chats so the drivers who actually give a damn are let in to have fun.

14. I find AC easier BECAUSE it's realistic.

15. There is something that I have noticed online when watching others on the monitor that puzzles me. I see some guys catching slides when taking corners, but the way that it happens just doesn't look right to me. It's almost as if the car will suddenly not spin out any further, even when an excessive amount of power is being applied by the driver. This gives the impression that the car is being stopped from spinning out, but not because of careful throttle control by the driver. It looks more like some limitation of the physics engine that the driver is exploiting. I know that sounds daft, but that's what it looks like on the monitor.

Maybe it has something to do with my FOV settings? What puzzles me is that I never get that "unrealistic" feel when I am driving my own car, and yet the viewpoint is basically identical....

16. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

I dont remember what the clip was called but i think it was rfactor where people pressed the brake and kept the throttle and the car just went straight (or something, was a while since i saw it):) Hopefully someone know which clip im talking about so they can link it. I dont know if it works in AC though. Was with some open wheeler i think.

17. Mogster

Mogster Alien

This.

I've done Karting, track experience days, driven a race school single seater, I drive a 200bhp road car. OK it's not direct experience of high level motorsports but it counts for something. AC just feels more real than any other sim I've tried. I drove a driving school single seater at Oulton, the day was cold, the track had damp patches. I was nervous but after 1 lap I was sliding the car around, catching slides just seemed natural, like the car was telling me what to do, helping me. It was exhilarating rather than scary. I'm far from being a driving prodigy, lol, I'm sure I wouldn't have felt so confident in a Lotus 49... But sliding a car around and catching slides in rl isn't that difficult. That day at Oulton, I get the same feeling from AC :)

18. I don't think that works in AC, Kofotsjanne.

19. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Is it the result of some sort of mild warping? Being online are you really seeing what the other cars doing or an approximation of it?

20. Sure, but at what speed ? In any sims it's easy to slide at low speed. In AC it's easy to slide at 220+. You can even be imprecise and still save it without too much problem.

21. Glaurung

Glaurung Hardcore Simmer

In rF2 too, and it's not a coincidence that both in AC and rF2 the FFB is very comunicative and responsive.