1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Simulation or game?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Luigi Gianni Vollaro, Nov 21, 2013.

?

Would you like Assetto Corsa to be more of a simulation or have more arcade elements?

1. Keep it an accurate simulation in as many ways as possible

392 vote(s)
    92.0%
  2. A simulation, but with arcade like elements

33 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. An arcade game with a but more of a simulator driving 'feel' is fine

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

Luigi Gianni Vollaro Hardcore Simmer

Seems to me everyone is making arcade-like driving sims. Somewhere between a game and a simulation. Servers packed out with immature idiots in unrealistic cars with unrealistic alien setups on candyland cartoon tracks racing three race destruction derbys are everywhere. Assetto has a chance to be different as it's in development.

However with what I seem to be reading on here have I bought into yet another 'arcadish' sim game? What do you guys want? Personally I like as much realism as possible. If that can't be provided it's no deal breaker as I'd be happy with good cars, realistic AI and and in-depth laser scanned tracks.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions New to the game of racing simulation Aug 4, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Ac is #5 at rps 25 best simulation games ever made May 16, 2015
    Suggestions What features do you like from other simulations and games? Nov 30, 2013
    Chit Chat Room Virtual TechArt GTstreet R now available for racing simulation Assetto Corsa Jun 29, 2023
    ACC User Interface Simulation is not only the physics!!! Apr 20, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions Giving back for ACC 1.8: Let's talk about multi-class, multi-hour, full grid simulation? Dec 10, 2021
    ACC Tools Simulation Control Center incl. Voice Control for ACC Pitstop MFD Jan 7, 2021
    ACC Blog ACC v1.6 Improved simulation of downforce at yaw angles Nov 18, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions ACC physics and depth of simulation discussion Aug 2, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Open Source sim rigs based on SimCraft motion simulation Jun 16, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Indy 500 Simulation? May 18, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Real Life Simulation Q sessions Apr 14, 2019
    ACC General Discussions A discussion about simulation accuracy Sep 26, 2018
    Physics Bugs & Issues Simulation Value. What it does? Aug 9, 2018
    Screens & Videos Triple screen (5760 x 1080) or Single screen (also on 5760 x 1080) simulation on 1 monitor questions Mar 1, 2018

3. Leemstradamus

Leemstradamus Hardcore Simmer

I guess that I'm in the camp that thinks this is the best sim coming to market. For me the force feedback and dare I say the grip feels spot on. I don't like the slippery rear tires at low speeds doing basic turns, that you get in other Sims. The understeer that I am getting seems to be because the tires I'm using. I think they are on the right track.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk 4

Simon Roberts likes this.
  4. Raymond

Raymond Racer

There are enough simcade games out there.

Scott.L likes this.
  5. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

All I can do is encourage the beyond-dedicated AC team to continue making their groundbreaking sim in every way possible. I'll be here buying as long as you're selling!

6. Hagen

Hagen Hardcore Simmer

Life for speed to me is a sim, but you could use a keyboard to drive and there are driving aids like race line, auto clutch, automatik gearbox, abs, you can race in reverse on fantasy tracks in fantasy cars.
    Simbin titles to me are sims, but there are driving aids, such as arrows in pit, you can set abs, traction control und stability help. It features mouse keyboard joypad steering.
    Iracing features touchscreen controls + autoshift + autoblip + antistall.

I bought my first wheel to "play" Sega Rally on Sega Saturn, then i had a wheel for N64, then one for the Ps2/Ps3 and GT, moved on to PC and now look at my specs.
    Without those approachable titles i wouldn´t be a simracer to race against in clean+fair online races. So for me with pro settings it´s a sim, for starters it´s adjustable from simcade to sim.
    I like the way Assetto Corsa is designed.

Bigbazz and Dinca Andrei like this.
  7. Pbure

Pbure Gamer

In my opinion it should be more of a simulation than a game. However, I think AC as a pure sim would only be a limited succes. How many people would really be able to handle these types of cars in real life, going on the limit on these circuits? I think a pure simulation would be undriveable for many people and would not be success. Also, keeping the game open for a more diverse audience helps to generate income, which can be used. My hope is to see a lot of international laser-scanned tracks in future updates, maybe in the form of a season pass. The costs for this will be very large, it is no coincidence that most current track are Italian.

I think the balance is quite good now. AC feels like a sim to me, but driving is not too difficult. Aids help here.

Backmarker likes this.
  8. boost

boost Gamer

What Hagen said. :)

9. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

To me Simbin titles are not really sims, they are on the line between a sim and a game. I want realism, but I'm not talking about car handling, I like Assetto as it is, IMO the handling other than a few tweaks is fine. I love changing tires in the pits refueling, needing time taken to fix a car if damage it, go further get stuck in the sand AI that makes mistakes braking too late into and accelerating too early out of corners, but can still go flat out down the straights. What I really don't want is online racing that involves stupidly short races and smashed off the circuit at turn one.

Agree completely! Some sims are awful with this, another one in development that I have simply had enough of.

People have this nutty idea that powerful cars and bikes are hard to drive and the for a sim to be realistic then they should be very hard to drive and the rear end should be slippery has heck even at low speed. This is completely false. In fact you can drive a sports bike or sports car like a small engined machine if you have the maturity simply not to put your foot down. You can then slowly apply more throttle and push the limits gently at first until you are going faster and faster. Assetto is perfect at this already IMO.

10. Pbure

Pbure Gamer

I think we agree that AC is perfect at the moment when considering driveability of the cars. I dislike the sims in which even riding on slow speeds on straights is a difficulty. I think AC is a lot better in this aspect, they didn't just make it overly difficult for the sake of being seen as a 'pure' sim.

I remember some episodes of Top Gear where the hosts drove F1 or nearly equivalent cars (Lotus T125) and could barely get round the track. This is the aspect I meant in my reply. If these cars are as realistic as possible, only very few people will be able to race properly in them.

11. Robertus

Robertus Gamer

This poll should never exists. Everyone expect real and the best sim on the market. We are waiting for this long time.

Chevalier D'Harmental likes this.
  12. Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet Gamer

Im all in for a netkar pro 2.0 that will kill you if you lock tyres lol

Horus likes this.
  13. Pulley

Pulley Simracer

AC is what it is, a simulation game with arcade elements.

Patrik Marek and Patrik like this.
  14. bromstarzan

bromstarzan Hardcore Simmer

Well, it already says "your racing simulator" so I expect it to be nothing less than a simulator :)!
    As Luigi mentioned above, racing cars are in general a lot easier to drive (fast) in. Naturally, you need a lot of skill to push (and keep) a "racecar" on the edge. The difficulty lies in the ability to be consistent, patient, and adaptive (added a teaspoon of controled aggression and [put your talent here]... ;)). I think (so far) AC has the potential to let the user play with these parameters in a convincing way - and that's where the simulator comes to life (imo)!

Leemstradamus and Thunderbubble like this.
  15. Horus

Horus Alien

Agreed with every comment here, AC is a sim there is no doubt. Would I mind if there is a more 'Arcade' element for the beginner or more casual gamer? Simple answer is a big fat hairy 'NO'. There will be some that want to go drift in a car that handles like a real car drifting, those that want the most realistic sim possible and then there are those that just want to relax, gamepad in hand, with all the aids active, going around a track with mates just for jollies. I think as long as the physics, tracks and cars/trucks/karts/buses/vans etc. etc. are available and are as close to the real thing for sim racers, and maybe toned down physics for the more arcade version, everyone will be happy.

Nobody should be left out when it is easy enough to give everyone that is interested in racing, no matter what style sim or arcade, the chance to have the best of experiences be that casual or pure sim. I have an eight year old son who can race with a few aids active, my partner need all the help the game has to offer, I have no driving aids active at all, yet we all enjoy the sim for different reasons and we all walk away wanting more and with a big smile on our faces. Let's hope there is an android version for those times you have to leave the PC at home, or get pushed off the PC by kids/spouses. :)

Leemstradamus and SomeLankyGuy like this.
  16. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

Hey 90% want the purest sim possible, and 0% want arcade. Can't hurt to remind the developers. :D

17. AC Support

AC Support Official Support Staff Member KS Dev Team

No need to remember, don't worry.

18. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

I want Assetto Corsa to be a SIM, and it is, if I feel like playing a game, I ( and everybody else) know where they are. AC should not try to be everything to everyone, it will leave everyone unfulfilled. That said, there is nothing wrong to make AC as entertaining as possible without diluting the reason we are here in the first place: drive the best simulator available to date.

19. baboon

baboon Alien

I see no reason why it can't be both. Focused on simulation but with game elements. With help of configurable driving assists and features like AI and career mode it draws some "simcade" fans into a true simulation, which I think is a good thing.
    Good for the devs and in the end also for the simracing community.

Nahkamarakatti likes this.
  20. Dionos

Dionos Gamer

Seeing this thread, I remembered that Steam says"play game" when you right click on Assetto Corsa. That really annoys me and I feel it should read "start simulation" :) (or "start application" at least) Guess that gives away my answer to the poll!

21. 3ller

3ller Rookie

pure siiiiiiim, tyre lock up, flat spot detection, and tyre flexion if not visually physically and the package is full

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.