1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

That's it... No more AI for me

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by RelapseUK, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Aceking

Aceking Racer

Marty.....i really enjoyed your awesome race video at Mugello which is one of my favorite tracks. I can see you're not only fast but also a very respectful driver which is very comendable! :)

PS. What tire compounds were you using?

2. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Thanks I played with that ini file in past builds, there even was an option to set time rather then size but it got removed in 0.6 I think for some reason. In 0.6 I couldnt make larger then 500mb files no matter what I tried it always went back to 500mb in the ini without me touching the ui setting. Will give it another go but just having some computer issues after an upgrade so doing a clean win reinstall. Added a second titan so will be interested to see how it runs in sli.

The vids are captured with nvidia shadowplay then I convert them and add the extra layer in premiere pro which I have used a fair bit for all my other video use. Of which I should be doing more of but AC has been taking too much of my spare time lately damn you Kunos :D getting a little behind with some work too lol which is kind of why the racing vids are unlisted.

Also glad you liked the little videos, just thought id put them up to show if you give the AI normal racing room as you wouod with other drivers they arent too bad. Online people will have the same issues if they arent all that aware 9f the cars around them and try force their way past. Once damage comes in you will need to avoid contact as much as possible too. Sure the AI still need a bit of work but its still pretty good in some car and track combinations. At some other tracks there are more issues and some cars the ai have real trouble keeping on track.

Backmarker likes this.
  3. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Maybe I'm stating the obvious but...

I think giving the AI softs is deliberate to make them a bit easier to catch in quick race mode and make the end of the race more exciting for the player. Same goes for the AI mistakes. I'd imagine that in full race mode the AI will be less scrappy, but we'll have to see.

4. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

is it just me.....but im only finding the AI crap at the start.. when theyre spread out theyre not bad (very challenging) and probably the most fun i have had against a sim AI.

Backmarker and mangal like this.
  5. sketchyterry

sketchyterry Simracer

This. First lap is hard work but after that they are mostly really good to race against. Sure a few things that are quite annoying but I'm sure those will be fixed. The first lap however can be far better if you are only racing against 6 cars or so.

6. Mogster

Mogster Alien

That's the problem we'll probably end up losing the fun, challenging aspect....

7. plaid

plaid Alien

I race in mixed grids all the time, which maybe lead to a different experience, but it seems mostly that they not necessarly got better in avoiding mistakes/crash or spin you later, just that the number of accidents is reduced cause there arent many cars around them in the later race and in many cases nothing happens its just luck you pass without problems, cause later it often happens that they act wrong and I have to add, that I kinda play safe around them.

Still they make many mistakes that slow them down (especially for the better drivers - so not me :D).
    And as mentioned, they often act passive and avoid you, where they should do something so they overtake/dont let you overtake.

Its tricky. Especially if it gets tight/risky.
    Will probably take longer to make them act safe and challenging in this situations. And when they reach that point, I would call it a good AI.

At the moment I see them still more of an more or less dangerous company.

8. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Telling by own bad experience I caution you to do so with 8 GB RAM only. The replay is kept in RAM and not written to HD constantly, says Kunos staff. If you have to many cars in race and the replay exceeding 500 MB, you can find yourself being unable to have more than - in my case - 11 or 12 AI cars.

Maybe experimenting with increasing replay size in small portions only. the more different car models and textures there are, the more this consumes from RAM as well.

9. Skybird

Skybird Alien

The AI is shaping up. Despite the more cleanup needed at starts and first turns, I would like to see them spreading less like pearls on a string, but doing more duels amongst themselves - AI duels and catching ups fro behind are a very are event currently, which gives the racing a somewhat sterile feeling a bit.

I also have the impression that lowering the AI - I admit I cannot handle to race the aI at 95 or 100% - not only reduces the speed by which they move, but also their aggressiveness. I would like to see aggressiveness and skill level being influenced by tow separate sliders instead of just one.

It would be nice if one could - later - tune drivers individually. I would like to have the whole pack closer together, with less gaps that constantly become bigger and bigger, deleting chances for AI duels even more.

Great video above. It makes a nice reply to everybody claiming that the AI is crap and hopeless and beyond all hope, like you have so many dumb comments in Steam forums. Next time I stumble over somebody doing that, I will link him to this video.

Backmarker and Dean Ogurek like this.
  10. RelapseUK

RelapseUK Racer

It seems, after reading through this thread, that I am not alone in abandoning the AI in this current iteration. I just want to affirm that this is in no way a Kunos bashing thread and isn't meant to undermine their already Stunning job so far. Please keep up the constructive criticism. It can only help in the long run.

Backmarker likes this.
  11. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Why is it that the AI, even on the first lap, avoids each other but not the player car?
    I know there's obvious improvements to be made in general, as many of us state that you get run off/hit on the first lap and then it gets better.
    But, when you look at the grid in front of you, they avoid each other, brake, change lane etc., even if they're in a cluster of 4-5 cars. Soon as I have just one car behind me it's like I'm invisible to it, not avoiding collision with me and trying to overtake in me god damn lane. It seems like a very small update to make the AI behave the same against the player as it does against itself?

12. Backmarker

Backmarker Racer

I hope you have calmed down from your op. :)
    Take a break from the AI and come back to it after some more updates.

I try to keep the whole AI-thingummy in perspective:
    the AI has only been available for 4 weeks (?wow...seems like it has been out longer?)
    I don't think KS has made AI for there other games so this may be their first attempt (please correct me if I am wrong)
    the AI will be improved by KS

:)

13. I spent some time racing mclaren gt3 vs z4 gt3 over the weekend at various tracks (7 mclaren GT3 + me and 8 z4 GT3) ... was good fun - some troubles on the first lap. I found that more ofthen than not it was me being to aggressive that caused the first lap shenanigans - hit ctrl+r after your wreck on the first lap - i'll bet you will find that 70% of the time the crashes were caused by something you did. I find that if I don't try to get to the front on the first lap, that I don't have to many problems. Some of this will go away when we have the ability to qualify (race weekend).

mangal likes this.
  14. Aceking

Aceking Racer

It most likely would be just as bad or much worst at the start of the race competing with humans on an open server going into T1 at Mugello and similar tracks until the field spreads out. :(

At the start of the race there is tremendous amounts of computations and split second decisions needed because of the many lane changes taking place which is why you see not only the AI but also the humans on "open servers" making crazy mistakes too! :eek:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  15. Strummer

Strummer Simracer

Yes, I'm looking forward to quals, too. I don't agree that the constant griefing is usually the player's fault though. In my (very extensive …) experience of racing against the AI at Monza with FAbarths, the main problem appears to be the AI's cranked-up aggression combined with its inability to "see" the player after he makes a clean pass. This always results in the player getting dive-bombed and/or shunted off the track the next time he has to brake hard. Right now, the only way to avoid this is to make passes that achieve enough separation in a long straight to get clear of the wrecking zone.

16. yes - my comments were specific to z4 and mclaren - certainly with different cars your mileage may vary

17. Asilo_Driver

Asilo_Driver Racer

There was a guy around here saying that "99%" of single player crashes are human player's fault.

LOL

18. Aceking

Aceking Racer

I designed an excellent AI in rFactor for the Endurance mod and the FIA GT3 2010 mod for specific tracks where this figure would be closer to "95 to 98%" HUMAN fault or "2 to 5%" AI fault which depends on the AI mistakes setting i decide to use for a particular race. AI physics settings in these mods were fine-tuned and i made all new AIW (AI paths) for the specific tracks they race on! :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  19. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

ill be honest ive ad some incidents where ive put my hands up and it reflects what would happen in real life. and some other times its just hey come on!!

20. Aceking

Aceking Racer

The softs were originally given to the AI because all the race challenges are for 5 lap races so those running 10 laps or more will experience worst AI behavior do to their worn tires!