1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Zandvoort not laserscanned rumor(?)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Epocx, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Hello everybody, wow what a thread.
    I'll be honest I didn't had the time to read it all from start today. So please forgive me if I have missed any important posts from specific people, that might need a specific answer.

So Zandvoort is not laser scanned. Why? Is this going to be the end of laser scanned tracks for AC? Why we didn't tell you from the beginning?
    I'll answer all this one by one. The answers are more straightforward than you might think and there are no side secrets. Here we go.

Why?
    It's a simple experiment. The track is made by a modder with GPS and CAD data, although it was never released in public. Simone obviously made the necessary improvements and we tried to bring the track up to par, but without losing too much development time. Thus the release is free.
    As I said it is an experiment. We want to see your reaction, we want to see if it's a yes or no. If the community thinks that a non laser scanned circuit made by modders is a good thing to have, then we might contact more modders and ask the license from the respective real tracks owners. Tracks like Donington or Paul Ricard could be great examples... but we'll see.
    If you guys do not appreciate it, then the experiment is a failure and we won't waste more time with things like that. So thank you for voicing your opinion on this.

Is this going to be the end of laser scanned tracks for AC?
    You should already know the answer to this. Barcelona is being totally laser scanned and in various configurations. Simone is hard at work on this amazing track and I can assure you the result is impressive!
    Brands Hatch has been just laser scanned and boy what a track it is, I can't wait to drive it in AC.
    More will follow.

Why we didn't tell you from the beginning?
    Why? Good question. Guilty as charged. We said from the beginning we need to communicate this as fast as possible and then one thing brings another, simple things like "don't talk about that now, console announcement is more important, E3 is more important, wait Brands Hatch is happening now..." and things like that. We didn't find the window and... well what can I say, we should have told you before, I'm sincerely sorry we didn't.

Ok ok ok but again, why offer something as official content when everybody can get it from free from a modder? What's the point? Why go to all this trouble?
    I have the answer to this and it is much more simple than you think. AC has sold hundreds of thousands of copies and we are so grateful for this. While mods are very popular, in the "community" their download numbers are way too low in comparison to the total user base of AC. So buying a modder content and offering it as an official licensed content of AC is a win win situation for everybody.
    We get an extra content to convince more people to buy AC.
    Modder gets his work recognised and paid.
    Licensor gets his fair share for the content
    Thousands of people get a new content that would have never try before, especially for the future console users.

So always remember, the AC user base, which is what brings future to AC for us and for all of you as the project is alive and healthy, is much much bigger than the hundred-ish people that are constantly active in this forum. It's a much bigger world than what you think. Something that you feel is easy to get, is not so easy for the vast majority.

Hope all of the above makes the situation more clear, again sorry for not writing all of this some weeks ago. I hope you all looking forward to the bonus pack which as usual will be everything discussed and then some more! Multi, AI, contents... everything updated and improved. Step by step we make AC better and better. Thank you all for your support and feedback.

2. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

I don't think anyone believes that the laser scan data goes into AC at 1:1, that isn't the point at all.

As for a handmade asset not being lower quality, well that's open to debate, as you can see from this thread.

LHMGTR likes this.
  3. gandlers

gandlers Hardcore Simmer

Thanks Aris,

hope the revolting peasants will let it go now ;)

Auranapse, tkrisz2, ekosan and 2 others like this.
  4. Jaye

Jaye Alien

@Aristotelis
    Thx for the details :):):):) and also another :) cause only 5 are enough ^^

@Epocx
    you should link that answer in your entry post

[RRRV] JuggernAlz likes this.
  5. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

thanks for explaining Aris, maybe just put up a poll for if people want to continue this going forward.
    Id vote yes just with the simple addition of a laserscanned tag for the tracks so the elitists can filter them in the launcher.
    who can complain about some Simone wizardary on their favourite mod tracks?

6. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

I was about to leave but i cant. you are one of the few that have been calling people names in this thread while the quality of discussion have been higher than in most of the other threads, by other users. Im done. go **** yourself

LHMGTR, speedbee and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  7. nonnex

nonnex Alien

Holla kofuts, I didnt even know that you can speak like that. Never saw you enraged like this.
    Or is a subtile way to make this all ending by close? ;)

8. gandlers

gandlers Hardcore Simmer

what is your problem?

try googling peasants revolt, better still I've done it for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peasants'_Revolt

your post says more about you than about me

9. Tiago Lima

Tiago Lima Alien

Thanks for the clarification Aris :)

10. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Zandvoort is so unlucky, first half of old circuit at the present is a golf field and public environment, next it won't be laserscanned... But I guess it is still going to be bumpy and good.

There is extremely enjoyable Brands Hatch mod, I wonder how much different it comes out when it will be laserscanned and official. I think the smaller the track, the less difference.

THE DRAMA... **** is going too dramatic sometimes, "close my thread" always sounds like a suicide to me. A F50 modder gone full emotional after one Bboy (I was a Bboy too :D) blamed him for ripping, but that man got massive support, turned OK, stood steady and passed 3D moddel work for other guy, since seems that he has some decent physics knowledge. Now someone is pulling a strike on his projects because zandwoort won't be that much accurate as laserscanned. I think that it is childish and an insult to Kunos.

[RRRV] JuggernAlz likes this.
  11. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

The poll would not be very indicative right now because of the numbers I said above. It's easier to control if the track is actually "used".

Everybody else, people please calm down and have more empathy if your wording can hurt or offence others. Remember, we are the developers, you should insulting us, not one another... LOL :D
    c'mon shake hands

12. Jaye

Jaye Alien

come on please, that's nothing about elitism or whatever... Everybody who is hoping for a scanned Donington/Paul Ricard/Zandvoort/enter your favorite missing track here, because an official non-scanned version will kill this hope.

And although I'm not that hardcore simmer, but I feel and see the differences when driving one of the scanned tracks or a modded ones. For example the tyre temperature behavior on many mod tracks is ähhh let us call it "strange".
    The real problem Kunos has: they gave us this triple A qualtity Nordschleife

LHMGTR likes this.
  13. My only concern is that, by going with a mod instead of a scratch made LS track, it could exclude that track from being done properly with LS in the future. I'd hate for some of the all time greats like Suzuka or Bathurst to never be considered being made from scratch because there was already a "believable" approximation modded and then used by Kunos.

Other than that I couldn't care either way and if it means more quality tracks, then all the better. I think it's great for the modders as well and will encourage even more and better mods.

14. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Im just scared that this will turn out to be another "mainstream" game (dont know the right word). I guess you mostly into racing games yourself but if you ever played fps games and done so a couple of years back you see how the developers do things to please the "big audience" while a lot of people that were there from the beginning and showed support of the series getting more and more screwed and most games arent what they used to be. I do understand that you are a company and you also need to eat, but im scared that this game will go down the drain like most other games out there, and that this is just the beginning.

Btw, i wasnt here from the start of early access but i hope you understand what i mean

LHMGTR, Fear, Marcel Pfister and 2 others like this.
  15. Niki Đaković

Niki Đaković Hardcore Simmer

I'm sure 99% of scepticts will have their voice changed once they actually get a chance to try the track. I would absolutely love to have Paul Ricard licensed. I think the track is already on the AC level of design. As well as Donington reworked and licensed. Don't think Donington is on that level yet, sry. Why so. Because it gives a chance to see a lot more online servers with this tracks then. Never have I once seen either of these tracks been used for casual fun racing. These top class mod tracks are even rare in the leagues. So. It would be great to change that. And have more racing with it. Those guys have worked hard. They deserve to have their reward come in. As well as it would be great to have a few of superb cup cars licensed as well. Not only roadcars from moders. But thats for another topic.
    Of course, I would hate it if implementing few top notch mod tracks upped onto AC level of design would mean the end of laser scanning after Brands and Barcelona!

Leemstradamus and Glaurung like this.
  16. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Holy **** please don't tell me your measurement is based on the forum reactions :p
    Again, thanks for your (and lord's) words and another track.

Btw it's a great move to reward a modder this way.

17. Tobias Queck

Tobias Queck Racer

As long as your priorities to get a scanned track before a modded don't change, when people give you the feedback, that the modded version is okay, its a good decision I think. My only concern is that the devs won't make a big effort to get a scan as they used to do, bcos they than know that a modded version will also be okay. For me i rather pay for a scanned version than getting a modded for free.

18. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

He didnt say that but it was pretty much the opposite.
    They will see how much the track is used etc..

19. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

sure elitism probably wanst the best choice of words but you know what i meant, if people only want to drive LS tracks, a filter would be useful for them.

As Stefano said, in this case it was non-LS zandvoort or no zandvoort, so those hopes of a scanned donnington/paul ricard would never be filled anyway if they did choose to add the mod ones to the game. its better that they do this and remove any hope of stuff we will never see. as suggested above maybe they would be less motivated to scan tracks which is a fair concern, but i think you can tell from the photos how much fun they have doing it :), i guess they just have to assess which will be the most profitable to scan, for all we know zandvoort could have required 200k and brands only 50k or something, or maybe zandvoort has some LS exclusivity deal with iR, that kind of thing, licensing probably isnt as straight forward as we might think

tyre temp issues on mod tracks? let the author know and maybe they can increase the mesh resolution, and such issues would obviously be solved if kunos were to take on any of said tracks anyway as im sure they know their way around manipulating track meshes by now, so this would be a good thing for everyone right?

20. Tom 00

Tom 00 Simracer

Group hug guys please!