1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Do i have to buy a wheel?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by AMTPS, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

When I bought my first wheel I really didn't like it, in fact I considered sending it back, the only thing that put me off returning it was that I would have had to mail it back, which put me off because of the weight. So I decided to keep it and I still have it today. Easily he best 60 quid I spent on PC hardware.

I spent years using game pads and regular flightsticks, and I just couldn't get used to it, I was so much slower. However after a week of persevering my lap times started to tumble, and I was really doing a lot better. At the time I was playing GTL and it just was fantastic.

So don't be too upset if when you first try it your times are off and it feels a bit "alien" you will get used to it.

2. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

wheel is better for sure, but with good settings for pad, you can get decent times and be quicker then maybe 60-70% wheel users,
    having a wheel doesn't necessary make you faster , driver properly does ( racing line, correct in/outs, correct speed etc. )

I'm personally going to get a wheel in future .. but I know I won't use it all that much, because I hate the part where you have to set it up and then put it back to closet ,

wheel does give me better immersion/feel for the game, makes it more fun, and yes, with lot of practice you will be faster then you were before on pad

3. GungFuLee

GungFuLee Gamer

I'd say definitely invest in a good wheel. I bought AC and was using a pad at first but then quickly decided to pick up a DFGT for £60 on Ebay. It has been so far the best £60 I could have spent. The pedals are a bit crappy but for a beginner they will do until you can get something better.

The feeling you get with a wheel is something completely different, it is a lot more fun I can tell you that :)

Turk, Stepy and Michael Hornbuckle like this.
  4. Get a wheel the game will transform .

panda, Stepy and Michael Hornbuckle like this.
  5. Sli

Sli Racer

Once you go wheel for sim racers, there is no going back.

mangal likes this.
  6. iVG

iVG Alien

The rhetoric question of the millennium.

7. WildStyle*

WildStyle* Racer

**** sometimes I think why the hell I bought G27... Should of gone straight for fanatec or thrustmaster. :D

8. you know when you start asking the question that it's already too late right? Looking forward to see your wheel report.

GungFuLee and offcorsa like this.
  9. Queequeg

Queequeg Racer

From the title:
    Do i have to buy a wheel?

Yes and yes.

10. mms

mms Alien

Yeah that was the part I hated most until I got my Fanatec wheel stand for my Fanatec gear, now I just loosen the bolt, fold it and it goes under my desk.

It might look weird at first, but after a few days I got used to it, and right now I don't even notice the pole between my legs.

EDIT: just realized how awkward that last sentece sounds :D

Queequeg and Patrik Marek like this.
  11. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

that's encouraging, wheel I'm thinking to buy is fanatec CS, so it would be great if I could fold it below desk, although i don't think there is enough room for it .. oh well, will see how it goes , but yeah, not my favorite part,

having wheel that comes off from base does make it somewhat more storageable

12. mms

mms Alien

Actually I was surprised how little space it takes when folded, it takes around 80cm x 45cm x 60cm (32" x 18' x 24", the last being the height), and that with the formula rim on the base (though a bigger rim would probably waste a bit more space).

13. Jeff Ghost

Jeff Ghost Rookie

Good to know, could you point me some guide to gamepad customization? i can't find a thread in here and i messed the settings last time i tried to change it.

14. yusupov

yusupov Alien

fanatec ships wheelstands, im quite sure...if theyre any good, theyll fold up in a matter of seconds. it adds quite a bit to the cost but imo worth it if you dont have a dedicated just-for-racing rig.

15. Hysteria

Hysteria Gamer

I just bought a Driving Force GT and it is all you need for just casual playing. I just bought one new at Microcenter for $90. You just gotta wait, at the prices of the Logitech wheels go up and down over time

16. AMTPS

AMTPS Rookie

Finally managed to work arround the wife...

What do you think about Thrustmaster T100?

Any sugestions about something with clutch?

17. Turk

Turk Alien

The T100 seems to be a rebrand of the 458 wheel. I had the ferrari one and it was grand for what it was, I had nothing to compare it too so I knew no better. The only thing that really annoyed me about that wheel was the centre point of the wheel seemed to be on a cog so the wheel wanted to rest one side of the centre point.

It had a 200 degree rotation I think too, for many race cars it not that much of a problem as they don't have 900 degree rotation anyway, it was pretty good for kart race pro. But with only 200 degrees you won't have much precision on road cars.

You're not to far away from a G27 in price, it would be worth saving that little bit extra.

18. Queequeg

Queequeg Racer

For your first wheel, better go Lopgitech. Both Driving Force GT and G27 have great value for money.

19. poet

poet Hardcore Simmer

There are plenty of fast gamepad users out there. (I'm not one of them in AC, though I am in plenty of other games and sims).

Something still "lacking" about AC gamepad options imo, I have to use several profiles for different cars/tracks to get the most out of them. I really dislike the "lack" of real deadzone for instance, my pad has a wobbly left stick and a real deadzone would help massively.

It has been made abundantly clear that I have a choice - Wheel or Girlfriend.
    Until they make a wheel that will bring me bacon sandwiches in bed on a Sunday morning, I'm sticking with the gamepad. Sorry. :(

20. AMTPS

AMTPS Rookie

Same here...for some reason, woman tend to think playing with a Racing Wheel is a childish thing.

Its fun to play with Xbox, but you just cannot compete with a wheel.